1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hell is finite - not Infinite torment for a sin

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Nov 28, 2013.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The text says that they are destroyed by "reducing them to ashes" and that BOTH "Body AND SOUL" are "destroyed" in fiery hell. Not just the body.

SATAN/BEAST/FALSE PROPHET CAST INTO THE fIRE OF HELL, AND THEIR SUFFERING IS FOREVER...

The devil and the false prophet and the beast are cast into the Lake of Fire--- but what about the wicked? They are tossed into the lake of fire (the second death) and are "destroyed BOTH body and soul" in fiery hell.

But in the FIRST death - the body is turned to ashes/dust - yet the soul continues in a dormant state. "Our friend Lazarus SLEEPS I do that I may awaken him" John 11.

In the SECOND death- -- BOTH body AND soul are destroyed

in Christ,

Bob

#41 BobRyan, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the greek lexicon does NOT support destruction/destroyed as you try to make it to be , as the biblical truth is that it instead describes them as being in a state apart from God presense, THAT is destruction!

Those destroyed in time of gflood of Noah were still living in their spirits/souls, as were those in Sodom afetr they were physically destroyed!

Body can and is destroyed, NOT soul/spirit!

You are once again looking to your false prophetess to get your erronous doctrines from, NOT from the Bible itself!

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Maybe you need a bit more time with Greek - before flying out on the limb that the NASB, KJV, NKJV, YLT are in error.

[FONT=&quot]Matt 10[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    28 ""Do not fear those [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]who kill the body[/FONT][FONT=&quot] but are unable to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]kill the soul[/FONT][FONT=&quot]; but rather fear Him who is able to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]destroy both[/FONT][FONT=&quot] soul and body [/FONT][FONT=&quot]in hell (Gehenna: Fiery Hell)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Luke 12[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    4 ""I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]who kill the body[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]after that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] have [/FONT][FONT=&quot]no more[/FONT][FONT=&quot] that they can do.
    5 ""But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell[/FONT][FONT=&quot]; yes, I tell you, fear Him![/FONT]

Bodily resurrection - the "2nd resurrection" which is the one after the 1000 years in Rev 20 - the "first resurrection" is that of the righteous the holy one - over whom the "second death has no power" according to Rev 20.

So the wicked come up in the 2nd resurrection.

Just as Sodom and Gomorrah - reduced to ashes.. .destroyed by eternal fire.

Luke 17:29
    [FONT=&quot]but on the day that Lot went out from Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]destroyed[/FONT][FONT=&quot] them all. (destroy - Apollumi )[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Jude [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah [/FONT][FONT=&quot]and the cities around them[/FONT][FONT=&quot], since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are [/FONT][FONT=&quot]exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal (everlasting) fire[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 Peter 2:6[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]and if He[/FONT][FONT=&quot] condemned the cities[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of Sodom and Gomorrah to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]destruction by reducing them to ashes[/FONT][FONT=&quot], having [/FONT][FONT=&quot]made them an example[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to those who would live ungodly lives thereafter;[/FONT]

Your solution that vitriol, name-calling, acrimony and diatribe against me should solve the problems your tradition has as found in these texts - is not the most compelling way to appeal to objective unbiased readers.

in Christ,

Bob

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Bob, some of those verses are speaking of when Sodom and Gomorrah was physically destroyed thousands of years ago.

But Jude 7 is speaking of these same persons being eternally punished.

These scripture do not refute or contradict each other whatsoever.

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed. I think all of them are.

It does not say they will one day in the future be "eternally punished" in Jude 7.

Rather it says that the historic event is "exhibited as an example" of undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.

[FONT=&quot]Jude [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah [/FONT][FONT=&quot]and the cities around them[/FONT][FONT=&quot], since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are [/FONT][FONT=&quot]exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal (everlasting) fire[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

We can see that event in real history.

They are not still on fire.

Rather - even the Bible itself says they are "reduced to ashes" AND the Bible uses the same term "destroy" for that event that reduces Sodom to ashes - as the "destroy" for "Both body and soul" in Matt 10:28.

Exact same word.

Even Satan himself is to be consumed - and reduced to ashes.

Ezek 28

16 “By the abundance of your trade
    You were internally filled with violence,
    And you sinned;
    Therefore I have cast you as profane
    From the mountain of God.

And I have destroyed you, O covering cherub,
    From the midst of the stones of fire.
    17 “Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty;
    You corrupted your wisdom by reason of your splendor.
    I cast you to the ground;
    I put you before kings,
    That they may see you.
    18 “By the multitude of your iniquities,
    In the unrighteousness of your trade
    You profaned your sanctuaries.
    Therefore I have brought fire from the midst of you;
    It has consumed you,
    And I have turned you to ashes on the earth

In the eyes of all who see you.
    19 “All who know you among the peoples
    Are appalled at you;
    You have become terrified
    And you will cease to be forever.”’”

in Christ,

Bob

#45 BobRyan, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2013
  6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Actually, I believe Jude 7 is connected to verse 6

Jude 6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
    7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

The words "Even as" connects verse 7 to verse 6, and is a continuation of the same thought. The angels that left heaven are "reserved" in everlasting chains awaiting judgment. Likewise the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah are still suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

And you have been shown that the Beast and False Prophet who were thrown into the lake of fire in Revelation 19 were still there in chapter 20 one thousand years later.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True. The evil angels were cast out of even - and eventually restricted to earth as we see in Rev 12.

And of course Matt 25 states that hell is prepared for the devil and his angels and of course he gets thrown into the lake of fire in Rev 20.

So I agree - judgment is the theme - and Sodom and Gomorrah are given as a historic example of suffering the punishment of eternal fire.

This idea is "exhibited" - so we can look at see just what they are talking about - and the fire is not still burning. Jude is making the case that this is an observable example so it sort of defeats the purpose to say 'well it is taken to some place where you cannot see it'.

in Christ,

Bob

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They were thrown into the lake of fire - at the second coming event in Rev 19.

The KJV points to "are" as an inserted word and other translations say it is the same as the word translated "likewise" - as in "in the same way".

in Christ,

Bob

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

And another element that you seem to forget is, in eternity, which is the case of heaven and the lake of fire, there is no element of time, so your points of "when" are meaningless.

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And of course Matt 25 states that hell is prepared for the devil and his angels and the wicked are cast into it at the coming of Christ and Great White Throne Judgment.

Matt 25

31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Obviously the time element is all over this event - telling us at what singular event this takes place.