1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hello everyone from a church of Christ guy!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ChurchofChristguy, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danthemailman

Danthemailman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

*Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism (Acts 10:47).

In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47. This is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing scripture with scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18). *Perfect Harmony* :Thumbsup

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you define as an egghead?

3. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1. CoC believes that baptism is an integral part of the act of receiving the Lord, just like drying your hands after you wash them. It's just a different interpretation. I have no allusions that minds are going to be changed here. To my knowledge, there isn't a conversion in the NT absent of baptism. Whether salvation occurs before,during, after, will no doubt continue to be debated for centuries. It's important, and in the CoC, there is an urgency to it.

2. I've never met a believing Baptist who wasn't immersed, but you probably know more than me. Why wouldn't someone be immersed? To test God? To prove a point in a doctrine? That's a head scratcher.

#83 ChurchofChristguy, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An impractical intellectual. :eek:

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't read every post in this thread but as as young man, I knew a young lady who was a Church of Christ member.

Her particular Church did not believe in the deity of Christ.

How about yourself ChurchofChristguy?

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clearly you don’t know Mohler and if that is the case, then you formulate opinions of people’s character based on option and not fact. This is a fault in yourself that you need to correct.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you questioning his .... clearly you are!

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am asking a question.

9. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh my. It would seem an oxymoron for a Church of "Christ" to be a denier of Christ as God in the flesh. That one's a new one on me. Maybe the young lady had been smoking some weed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Picture worth a thousand words. :D

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea but we are talking bout Mohler, not this guy. :Sneaky

#92 Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a side note, we finally got a church up here in Joisey that signed up with the SBC and brought in a pastor from the SBC seminary in Kentucky.... I thought I would be impressed but I’m not really impressed... I don’t see it as cut from a different cloth, rather it strives to be “same old same old”

14. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't refute anything--just go after me. If you like Mohler, that's fine with me. Nevertheless, Mohler does things such as saying libertarianism is wrong and then takes money from a libertarian foundation. He implies that God made junk in that people have homosexual orientation.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then tell me plainly you consider him to be a hypocrite!

16. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Maybe bring in some serpents for handling? I’ve heard this does wonders for a youth program.

17. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sunday, May 20, 2007
    Snake handling on the rise in Baptist churches

"According to a new report, snake handling is on the rise within Baptist churches across the country. The report, released by NAMB this past Tuesday, says that the practice of snake handling as part of Sunday morning worship services has risen in Baptist churches from 2% in 2006 to 17% this spring.

Al Wittner, senior pastor at First Baptist Church of Baton Rouge, LA reported the exciting results of snake handling. According to Wittner, "A few weeks ago, we began with just a few black snakes. The folks in the pews felt a little uneasy at first, but they warmed up to it very quickly. By this past Sunday, we added Rattlers and Copperheads. I think the added dimension of poison really increased interest. We had at least 40% of our members in attendance, which was the highest percentage in years."

NAMB's report also indicates that some churches are planning on adding snake handling as a third ordinance. Along with baptism and the Lord's Supper, snake handling will be a regular part of church gatherings. Pastor Wittner said, "We haven't yet decided whether or not to make snake handling an ordinance. But, if it keeps bringing the lost in through the front doors of the church, we might just have to do so."

When asked what has brought about the recent increase in snake handling, NAMB indicated that it can be traced to Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary's recent conference on the last 12 verses of the book of Mark. At the end of the conference, the majority of the scholars said that they believe the last 12 verses are original. This has caused many pastors and laypeople to study those 12 verses.

Mark 16:17 -18 has caused the stir. In this text, Jesus says, "And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

According to Pastor Wittner, "We had never really thought much about that last chapter of Mark . Then, after we heard about what happened at Southeastern, we decided that we needed to take another look. We certainly believe in Jesus, so we thought we had better pick up serpents. We haven't yet drunk any deadly poison, but this is scheduled for our fall revival. No volunteers have come forward, but I have faith that they will.""

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not calling him a hypocrite exactly but just a guy who knows better, but then we all do, don't we?

19. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Every crow thinks he is the blackest. :eek:

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.