1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heretics should be murdered!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by matt wade, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

So, Calvin was just a nice guy who executed people or threw them into prison because they disagreed with him. I guess that would make Hitler, Stalin, and Mao Tse Tung all nice guys simply because widespread killing was the norm at the time.

Sorry Skan, can't agree with you here.

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You forgot about the Crusades...the Crusades were cool because killing was cool at the time....

3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

That's not really true. You may want to read up on the history of Calvin. If you don't care to, then don't post about it if your are not willing to do the research.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

This OP was born in the pit of jealousy and has gone downhill. If I were a mod I'd close it. There's nothing Christlike about it.

5. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

I think the OP was reflecting that there was nothing Christlike about John Calvins life.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I fear that too many people confuse the pop Christ- the Christ of pop-culture- with the Christ of SCRIPTURE.

#66 Luke2427, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2011
  7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes Matt.......I will accept your confession at face value.From your posts which mostly do not use scripture...I believe you that you have not considered yourself worthy to "crack open the bible"...let alone talk about it:thumbs:
    From what I see.....you talk more about Calvin than the bible.Looks as if you have not read any Calvin either...but that does not deter you from sharing your "insights"
    Thank you for complimenting my scholarship. However...it is not so much of my intellect....it is just that I use the scripture as it taught so it seems to you beyond what you can take in. if you listen to sermons and read the scripture, study each day, maybe you will grow in the grace and knowledge of the lord Jesus Christ......instead of whining about Calvin. Try it matt....you might like it:thumbs::wavey:

8. plain_n_simple

So did John Calvin do these things Matt has said? Where is a good unbiased place to learn about this John Calvin?

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You belong on a secular forum --not a Christian one.

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You might be onto something here QF.....
    :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Instead it demonstrated the unChrist-like attitude of the author of the OP.

I don't think that most of us on the BB --Calvinist or non-Calvinist approach the level of godliness of the man of Geneva.

12. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

13. plain_n_simple

I don't think that most of us on the BB --Calvinist or non-Calvinist approach the level of godliness of the man of Geneva.

This is what makes me nervous. Jesus is the mark, not some dead guy. Forgive me again but it seems some are putting this man high up above others, when Jesus said the valleys will be made high and mountains low. I'm not picking a fight, I am new to Calvin.

14. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

when making these statements this intense, give us a source from where your thought came from so we can evaluate it please.

I also think there is a balance between justice and grace. Im not sure as a Christian we have been given the right by God to extend judgment on a heretic. I dont personally know Calvins situation nor do I see early chirch Fathers doing this but we live in a fantasy land today.

I am convicted that in the New Covenent we extend grace but we must not let heretics go with a smile on our face as they lead thousands away from God. Am i saying kill them? No. But look at what is happening.
    I am all for protecting truth and I will bluntly say that treating certain people like a lost flower wont protect our children and their children.

Winman, is a man who has many wives in our day a lost heretic?

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    pns

read some first......
    http://www.ccel.org/ccel/calvin/commentaries.i.html

16. plain_n_simple

I have enough from what the post said, "a level of godliness"? That is putting this man high.

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You and others have written or implied that he was an ungodly person.
    If you read from any of his commentaries, i do not think you would post in ignorance.

You might not agree with everything he taught, as I do not either. But to dismiss him as just some "old dead guy".....is foolish.

Everyone is to worship Jesus...yes. But apostolic instruction teaches to mark out ...good examples and bad examples of those who profess faith
    Phil3:13-21

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I think you may have the erroneous thinking that goes something like this:

It is Christian to never express great appreciation for any human.

But that is not Christian. It may make some people FEEL like they are nobler than others, but there is no biblical precident for it.

In fact the bible teaches that we should render honor to whom honor is due.

If Christ himself raises up a man and uses him MIGHTILY to bless the Body of Christ then it is CHRISTIAN to appreciate that man.

A passage often abused to exalt what it seems is your thinking is the passage in Corinthians where some were saying "I am of Apolos" and others were saying "I am of Paul" and others were saying "I am of Cephas". But what these misguided people fail to realize is that there was a fourth group that Paul condemned alongside these three groups as being as guilty of sin as they were. It was the group that made themselves seem BETTER than the others by saying, "I AM OF JESUS!"

That fourth group was arrogant and self exalting and holier than thou, apparently.

That, I am afraid, is where you may be.

You may think it is SPIRITUAL to say, "I EXALT JESUS!!! while you people are MAN WORSHIPPERS!"

But it is not spiritual.

It is the opposite of spiritual.

And saying, "John Calvin was a great man gifted of God with amazing brilliance" is not like saying, "I am of John Calvin." It is simply doing what the Bible says to do- appreciate those God raises up who deserve to be appreciated.

#78 Luke2427, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2011
  19. plain_n_simple

I will explore this when I find an unbiased source (good or bad). My posts were a presumption that the OP was true. I'll repent if needed. Let's say that John Calvin was not what Matt said (murderer, hypocrite, etc.) and that his teaching and life is reasonable. It still does not warrant me putting his name high. It's all Jesus. I can study and get deep revelation without Calvin or anyone. I see this has caused great division in the church and that is never good nor edifying.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I address this erroneous way of thinking in post # 78.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.