1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heretics should be murdered!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by matt wade, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Your address means nothing right now Luke. I'm neutral on Calvin so let me read, then you can judge ok?

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I'm very happy that you are reading what I hope to be sources on both sides of the issue.

But whatever you conclude about Calvin is irrelevent to what I posted about.

I posted about the error of your thinking that we should not express deep and vehement appreciation for people that God has used in our lives.

You seemed to indicate that you only appreciate JESUS.

I said that SOUNDS spiritual but it is not.

So whatever you conclude from your research, you still need to address this issue of reprimanding folks for saying great things about somebody besides Jesus.

These people who said great things about Calvin appreciate him- they know that Jesus is the source of every gift that every man, including Calvin, has ever possessed. They know that ultimately Jesus gets ALL the glory.

But they also have enough depth spiritually to know that it is GOOD, not bad, to express great appreciation for people God expects us to appreciate.

It is actually UNSPIRITUAL to say, "You people appreciate MAN!!! Not ME!!! I appreciate JESUS!!!- you man worshipers!"

I know you did not say that, but that is how it comes across to me.

3. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Your address means nothing right now Luke.

#83 plain_n_simple, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2011
  4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Just saying so doesn't make it so, Simple.

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

It demonstrates an unChrist-like attitude to ask questions about someone? How does your attitude reflect Christ, when you simply attack me rather than respond to the content at hand? Did Calvin make the statements? If he did, how do you deal with them? How does that make you feel about the man?

6. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I don't "feel" about him one way or another.

People of the past have been judged by future generations who were so short of sight that they could only contextualize to their own history the right or wrong of someone in the past.

Perhaps, the frailty of being human is that children do not consider that great grandad was once also a child. The typical child thinks all things began when they were born and can only put context to happenings in the past in the light of the present.

Martin Luther was anti Semitic. So was Bach.

Both have their place in history and the church has benefited.

To put John Calvin's thoughts and feelings about folks who didn't agree with his views into today's modern age, would be like asking the she bears not to eat the children who mocked the prophet by calling him ball headed. There is something lost in the ability to understand.

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

reductio ad infinitum

8. bacustic

bacustic New Member

yep, i was found out! i found it more appropriate to not capitalize the b in baptist in the same sentence as Bible. they are in no way equal. glad i could add to the fray :)

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.