1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Historicity of the change of the Sabbath Commandment vs Sola Scriptura

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jun 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Christ never once pointed to keeping the Sabbath; never.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Psalm 95 is written to Israel and it is to be kept by Israel, not for NT believers.
    Our Sabbath is Christ. When will you learn not to take scripture out of context.

It is a demonstration that the law has ended, and that faith in the law is fruitless. Try not to pull a text out of context.

The Sabbath is not for today. The NT believer can worship any day he likes. I lived in a nation where believers gathered on a Friday to worship. Does the Bible forbid it? No. In the early days of Christianity they met every day.

"My rest" is Christ Himself. He is the only one who can give rest.

Joshua could not give them rest, not in the OT because of their unbelief. Therefore they entered not into the Promised Land. Neither can anyone enter into the rest that Jesus gives through unbelief.

[/QUOTE]
    CONTEXT
    Heb 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
    Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
    Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

NOTE:
    In verse 8 he speaks of Israel. They did not get rest because of unbelief. This is the author contrasting two different times and two different peoples.
    In verse 9 the people of God (in the NT) are able to have rest. How? through faith. That is why it still remains.
    In verse 10. Rest comes through faith and faith alone, not of works. He cannot obtain rest through his own works as the verse clearly says. It must be through faith. It is by faith we enter into a relationship with Christ and obtain His rest. That is what this passage teaches.

Keeping a day, as the Sabbath, or even Sunday, will not give anyone rest. Only Christ can do that.

3. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

New Testament never says keep the Sabbath.

Jesus CHRIST! never said keep the Sabbath.

We see in acts 15 the apostles didn't want to burden them with anything they JEWS had to do:
    And more importantly they had to EXPLAIN SABBATH to GENTILES who of course did not practice it.

Acts 15

19“It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. 20Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood. 21For the law of Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath.”

In other words if the Christian gentiles were always keeping Sabbath in a synagogue it wouldn't have been an issue that is brought up to explain to them. Jewish custom would already have been understood.

Acts 15
    “The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.”

Simply What is the Law of Moses?

Sermon on the Mount. Jesus could have said KEEP the Sabbath its the most important thing its what seperates true followers from those of the MARK OF THE BEAST.

He didn't say that because Sabbath is not important.

“The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.”

Why is there any debate for circumcision and having to keep Jewish law? Unless gentiles were doing something totally different.

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Love Me and KEEP My Commandments" Ex 20:6
    "If you love Me KEEP My Commandments" John 14:15
    "The Sabbath was made for MANKIND" Mark 2:27
    "The saints KEEP the Commandments of God" Rev 14:12.
    "there REMAINS therefore a SABBATH rest for the people of God" Heb 4.
    Eph 6:2 the 5th commandment is the "First commandment" in the still-valid-TEN Commandments "WITH" A promise.
    For all eternity AFTER the cross "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" Isaiah 66:23

Acts 15 does not say to honor your parents or to Love God with all your heart. It also does not say that this is the new downsized version of the Bible.

My Bible has 66 books in it -- how many books are in your Bible?

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    4. There is not ONE text in the NT or OT saying "from week day 1 to week day 1 shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" - but we DO have that in Is 66:23 for the Sabbath.

1. "There REMAINS therefore a SABBATH rest for the people of God" - REMAINS as it was in Psalms 95.
    2. Even your own retreat on this point merely claims that on this point the Sabbath is the SAME as weed-day-1 in the NT (but not in the Bible as a book) which does not amount for affirmation of week-day-1 even by your own argument!!
    3. My point is that there is no such affirmation for week-day-1 as we see for Sabbath in Isaiah 66:23 and your retreat merely confesses that the point is true!! How is that supposed to defend week-day-1 sola scriptura???

Indeed so the SABBATH that REMAINS from Ps 95 to this very day for the "People of God" - is a bible "detail" that your argument does not survive.

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Christ said "Moses said" = "Commandment of God" = "Word of God" Mark 7:6-13 shall we live in rebellion against the teaching of Christ??

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

It is utter nonsense to argue that obeying Christ in Mark 7 is "unscriptural tradition" but being in rebellion against his teaching is "more or less ok".

Mark 7

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
    8 For laying aside the Commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
    9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
    10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
    11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
    12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
    13 Making the Word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

That is a case of Christ demonstrating the way that the magisterium is hammered "sola scriptura" in the cases where it's traditions and "doctrines of men" are at odds with scripture

Rev 12 -- the accuser of the brethren has been cast down.

Your response is not "sola scriptura" anything - you simply rail against the text quoted. What papist in the dark ages could not resort to such methods?

Casting about him for a "Sola scriptura" response he finely finds one? OR he finds himself still left without one?

Rom 8:4-9 says that only the wicked "do not - and can not" submit to the LAW of God.

You already knew that.

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.