1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Holy Name Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Dec 21, 2019.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Today I visited with a newcomer to our community. I found out this individual is a part of the “Sacred Name” movement. This movement condemns the use of words like Jesus, Lord, and God as idolatrous. They only use “sacred names” such as Yeshua, Yahweh, and Elohim. This person uses a Bible called the Holy Name Bible, by Angelo B. Traina (1963). From what I have discovered online, it is basically a King James Bible with the “Sacred Names” substituted throughout.

I found where these could be purchased, but do not want to purchase one. I would prefer to find one online that I could look at. Anyone know if this Bible is readable anywhere on the World Wide Web?

2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never even heard of it.

3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had not either, before today. It is obviously outside the mainstream (from what I have found).

I want to get some idea of where this newcomer to our community is coming from, theologically speaking. This person is very like-able and easy to talk to, but I fear the theology is way out there.

I found a review of the Holy Name Bible online, which is HERE. Amazon sells it for $37 bucks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. SolaSister

SolaSister Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. SolaSister

SolaSister Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    #5 SolaSister, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SolaSister, thanks for the two links. These provide some helpful information. I have to admit the overabundance of pictures and fewness of words per page on the second one became annoying. However, he did have some good critique of the Sacred Name movement. He says he has some reviews of the Sacred Name Bibles forthcoming, but none appear to be on the site yet.

7. SolaSister

SolaSister Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are quite welcome.

8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist