1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured how can the RCC Claim to be THE teacher On Christianity and Doctrines?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Yeshua1, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can be wrong on the doctrines that do NOT impact our justification status before the Lord, as we can freely disagree on the timing/events of the Second Coming, which bible version to use, but RCC theology screws up the cardinal truth of the Cross and salvation, so "not all right!"

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the point where the cathic realises that in order for the RCC position on tradition being equal to scripture to be valid, they MUST resort to Apostolic sucession, in order to have the authority to have traditions by the Popes cardinals to be equal to those of Paul!

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

The Anglicans hold to apostolic succession and yet still believe that scripture is the primary and final authority.

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As interpreted by who? The individual preisthood of the believer or those supposedly in the line of apostolic succession?

5. Moriah

Moriah New Member

There is no such thing as "Apostolic Succession" in the Bible. Looks like they do not believe scripture is the primary and final authority if they add manufactured beliefs like Apostolic Succession.

6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

"The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also." 2 Timothy 2:2. It sure looks like apostolic succession to me.

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

The Anglicans may not hold to the priesthood of the believer as defined by Baptists, but in reality and practice they allow for much more diversity of individual belief. The Anglican churches do not hold that doctrine is formulated by clergy and then spoon-fed to the laity.

8. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

As I posted elsewhere, from the Anglican 39 Articles of Religion:

"VI. Of the Sufficiency of the Holy Scriptures for Salvation.

Holy Scripture containeth all things necessary to salvation: so that whatsoever is not read therein, nor may be proved thereby, is not to be required of any man, that it should be believed as an article of the Faith, or be thought requisite or necessary to salvation."

For Anglicans, scripture is the primary and final authority, with tradition and reason -- and many would add experience -- as secondary authorities.

#108 Michael Wrenn, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
  9. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Not the kind you are talking about. :)

10. Moriah

Moriah New Member

No, that scripture does not support the Catholic’s Apostolic Succession. There is no absolute surety in the Bible that no one will not fall into falseness and thus teach error. Even Paul had to rebuke Peter. The Catholics claim their popes have succeeded from Peter, but there is not such teaching in the Bible. That is a manufactured belief by the Catholics. In fact, that teaching of the Catholics shows favoritism and the Bible forbids favoritism.

1 Corinthians 1:11-12 My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas"; still another, "I follow Christ." 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul?

1 Corinthians 3:1Brothers, I could not address you as spiritual but as worldly—mere infants in Christ. 2I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. 3You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men? 4For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

5What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. 6I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. 7So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. 9For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.

1 Corinthians 3:18 Do not deceive yourselves. If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he should become a "fool" so that he may become wise. 19For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "He catches the wise in their craftiness“; 20and again, "The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile.” 21So then, no more boasting about men! All things are yours, 22whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, 23and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God.

1 Corinthians 4:6 Now brothers, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, "Do not go beyond what is written.” Then you will not take pride in one man over against another.

Paul even warns that when he leaves savage wolves will come in among them.

Acts 20:29 Iknow that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock.

11. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

All right, then what kind of apostolic succession does 2 Timothy 2:2 portray?

12. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Scripture presents plenty of proof that individuals, and even whole congregations, will fall into apostasy. But Jesus promised that His Church would endure. "Upon this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades will not overpower it."

Why is there no teaching in the Bible that the popes are successors of Peter? Think about this, Moriah. Peter was still alive during the writing of all the Bible but Revelation. It would not be necessary or appropriate for Peter to have a successor until after his death and the canon would have then been closed.

Moriah, I believe you are confusing the papal lineage with apostolic succession. They are not the same doctrine at all.

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

It doesn't portray monarchical bishops as a third order of ministry because those were a late second century development. There were only two orders of ministry in the NT and NT times -- deacon, and elder/presbyter/pastor/bishop, as the latter were synonymous terms for one and the same office.

The only true apostolic succession anyway is an adherence to the teachings of the apostles. I was ordained into the "historic episcopate", but do I think that all in my lines were true to apostolic teachings? Absolutely not! Especially if they consented to and/or participated in the Catholic persecution and murder of dissenters that took place down through the centuries. In that case, they were apostate and the church was apostate.

14. Moriah

Moriah New Member

The church is true believers.

The apostles from the New Testament received all the truth we need to guide us to eternal life, and they wrote this down in the Scriptures: John 16:13; 2 Peter 1:3; Acts 20:20, 27; Matthew 28:20; I Corinthians 14:37; 2 Timothy 3:16, 17.
    There is no such mention of Apostolic Succession because it is a manmade doctrine.

I am talking about Apostolic Succession. I am not confusing anything. You need to prove that papal lineage has nothing to do with Apostolic Succession.
    Here is clear evidence that the Catholic Church is teaching falseness, just the fact that they call their popes, bishops, cardinals, and priests ‘father.’ Jesus forbids the brothers calling each other ‘father.’ The only thing that matters is obeying Jesus’ words they are life. When you believe false doctrines, you believe things taught by demons.

15. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Well, Let me quote Cyprian who will argue better than I on the Papacy.

His source quote is Matthew 16:18
    and
    Also note in John 21:15-17 we see Jesus singling out Peter as the primary shephard of his flock. Jesus alone is mentioned when Jesus prays that his faith may not fail Luke 22:32. Also note that the Jews considered Peter the spokesman and leader of Christianity in Acts 4:1-13. Look how the angel singles out Peter thus making him a leader and representative of Christians in Mark 16:7 other wise he would have just said "go tell his disciples" rather than "go tell his disciples and Peter". Note Eph 2:20
    shows the church built upon the apostolic foundation and in acts we see the apostolic authority being passed on by prayer, fasting, and laying on of hands. And we note that Judas having left, Peter shows that once an office had been vacated that it was filled Acts 1:20-26

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

When did peter assert that he was the primary Apostle?

At BEST, he was the chief Apostle to the Jews, just as paul was to the gentiles...

james was pastor/Apostle heading up jerusalem Church..

Where is this "Biblical proofs?"

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It Doesn't, at least not the RCC view of it!

the traditions discussed there were a combo OT scriptures and Apostolic truth, not "traditions of men!"

18. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Take a breath and read what I said. I didn't say anywhere Peter asserted he was the primary apostle that was done for him and read the scripture text I've pointed out.

No because Paul is never mentioned first among the apostles. And where in scripture does it say Peter was the cheif apostle to the Jews?
    j
    And your point is? Ignatius was the Pastor/Bishop of the Antioch church 50 years later.

Read the verses quoted.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    peter admitted that paul had SAME Apostolic authority from God that he did, just his to the jews, paul to Gentiles!

Were there 2 popes than?

20. Moriah

Moriah New Member

It is not that Peter was singled out, it is about truth revealed, and it is about God revealing truth, not man.

Jesus is the Rock. Jesus is the Word of God. Jesus spoke only what the Father said.

When Peter spoke something that was not known yet, a truth revealed from God, Jesus said he was a little rock. Peter was like Jesus when he spoke something from God. Jesus says he will build his church on the fact that the Holy Spirit would reveal God’s Truth to the Apostles. That is what happened after Jesus ascended to heaven, that he gave the Apostles power by the Holy Spirit to preach the gospel from God. New revelations from God through the Holy Spirit were given to the Apostles, and that is what we read in the New Testament.

Popes cannot give new teachings, for the foundation is laid. Popes cannot teach new things, for the Bible is the perfect law already given. Popes cannot teach new things, for God does not testify to what they say as truth, as God did when the Apostles gave the gospel.

I can give you scripture for everything I say.