1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured how can the RCC Claim to be THE teacher On Christianity and Doctrines?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Yeshua1, Jul 26, 2012.

1. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Their answer is "We are right, and everyone else is wrong" (just like what all the denominations say). I don't see where this argument holds any water.

2. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

No. (have to add this so it will post)

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Yes, that's correct. If every denomination didn't believe that they were more right than anyone else, there would be no reason for their existence.

But unlike many, I don't see denominationalism as a bad thing. The worse danger is a "superchurch".

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    key thing is that the Bible NEVER stated peter was the Chief Apostle, much less first Pope!

At best, ALL RCC could prove by scriptures was that the church held to FOUR "popes" Peter/paul?john?James, don't think even the RCC would claim that!

5. targus

targus New Member

Even in regards to an essential doctrine?

If there is a mutually exclusive conflict of belief concerning an essential doctrine between two Spirit led assumed Chrisitians - how can both be saved?

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

100% right belief is not a requirement for salvation -- thank God.

7. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Baptists need to stop blaspheming against other saved people who do speak the Truth.

Catholics need to stop doing things God commands us not to.

8. targus

targus New Member

And if the mutually exclusive conflict is concerning a requirement for salvation?

9. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

What are the essential doctrines and requirements for salvation? Think you can get a consensus on that?

10. targus

targus New Member

No. But that's kind of the point - isn't it?

However baptism comes to mind as something that some Spirit led Christians think is essential to salvation and others would say is not.

So if baptism is essential then those who are not baptized would have a problem because then they aren't really saved even if they think they are.

And and on the other side of the coin if those same Spirit led Christians who believe that baptism is essential to salvation are wrong and baptism is not essential - then they are preaching a false gospel.

So then where are we?

11. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Jesus said to do it.

12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

This is only a problem for those who think God will send someone to hell for being wrong.

13. targus

targus New Member

Then the Catholics should be all right wouldn't you agree?

14. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Christ did refer to oral tradition. “The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses; therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds.” Matthew 23:2-3. The “chair of Moses” is a tradition nowhere found in the O.T. but of which Christ spoke with approval.

As for tradition being the basis for the teachings of Jesus, that is a red herring. The teachings of Jesus are not based on tradition, they ARE the tradition.

Would you say Paul was an apostle? He reminded both the Corinthians (1 Corinthians 11:2) and the Thessalonians (2 Thessalonians 2:15) to abide by his traditions. To the Thessalonians he made it clear that the traditions included both letter and word of mouth.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is a twisting of Scripture. Whenever Christ referred to the tradition of the scribes and Pharisees it was always with condemnation. He did not approve of it.
    The teachings of Jesus are based on the teachings of Jesus. Duh!
    He is God. He is the sole authority of teaching in and of Himself. Over and over again soldiers and others remarked: "He speaks with authority." It was that authority that gave him the right to cleanse the Temple (twice) without any opposition. Christ (God) spoke, and when He did it was God's Word. He speaks on His own authority.
    Not so. The word "traditions" in those verses refer to the Word of God that was taught them. According to the definition of "tradition" in the Catholic Encyclopedia, the traditional Catholic meaning of tradition would never fit the context of the verse. Christ died in 29 A.D. Those epistles were written ca. 55 A.D. In 25 years what kind of tradition was there? There was not enough of a time span for any tradition to be formed in any of the churches. The word "tradition" in those verses simply means "truths gained from the Word of God."

16. Moriah

Moriah New Member

If you do what God says and do not do what He says not to do, then why worry?
    If you do what Jesus says to do, Jesus will reveal himself to you.

17. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He is not quoting oral tradition, he is simply using a metaphor for authority. Just as he uses the metaphor of the "keys of the kingdom" for authority.

Jesus made his mission well known - Mt 5:18 that he came to FULFILL the law and the prophets and when defending his doctrine as a Prophet he always quoted scripture to support it but NEVER ONCE tradition.

You ignore that Christ, Paul and the rest of the apostles were PROPHETS and what they orally communicated was by inspiration. You also ignore they constantly quoted the Old Testament Scriptures to VERIFY what they prophesied in keeping with the tests of a prophet.

You ignore that the Bereans were congratulated by Paul for not receiving his ORAL TEACHINGS without first verifying them by written scripture (Acts 17). This approved practice along with the command of Isaiah 8:20 and Peters admonition about oral tradition in 2 Peter 1:15-21 eliminates the necessity for perpetating ORAL traditions altogether as it proves it to be redundant.

The fact that all ORAL teaching must pass the test of scripture demonstrates which has more authority.

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

If you are asking me if I think God will send Catholics to hell for being wrong on baptism or other issues, my answer is no. Unlike some here, I think Catholics and anyone else who affirms the Apostles and Nicene Creeds are of orthodox faith, regardless of whatever errors they also hold. And I hope they would say the same thing about me. Look, I myself have been called a heretic, apostate, cult-inventor, compared to Satan, and other vile things on here, and not by Catholics, either.

19. targus

targus New Member

I was not aware of your personal beliefs. Thank you for sharing.

I am now left wondering why no one else has chimed in with an answer to my basic question.

Asking the question has certainly set me to pondering.

Perhaps I will start a new thread...

20. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Perhaps you should! I always enjoy new interesting threads. :)