1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Christ Was "Made Sin"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Feb 19, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Brings to mind; I do not make void the grace of God, for if righteousness be through law -- then Christ died in vain.

And;

[to the] for by [to] grace ye are having been saved, through [the] faith, and this not of you -- of God the gift,

I think we need to remember, the angel told Joseph, the one in her, the virgin, being generated, out of Spirit is holy and the virgin would bring forth the holy one, God with us. Hebrews 1:2 states that one, Son, has been appointed heir of all things.

Does that include being the heir of the grace of life?

When did that Son, who died by the way, inherit the grace of life? Is that the promise of God, who can not lie, made before times begin?

Is it possible for anyone else being a joint heir without being given the Spirit if adoption?

That is how I understand the word of God.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean?

Habakkuk says that Christ will not condone sin.

I'm not saying you are wrong in your application, just trying to work out exactly what you are saying.

Habakkuk 1:9–13 All of them come for violence.
    Their horde of faces moves forward.
    They collect captives like sand.
    “They mock at kings
    And rulers are a laughing matter to them.
    They laugh at every fortress
    And heap up rubble to capture it.
    Then they will sweep through like the wind and pass on.
    But they will be held guilty,
    They whose strength is their god.”
    Are You not from everlasting,
    O Lord, my God, my Holy One?
    We will not die.
    You, O Lord, have appointed them to judge;
    And You, O Rock, have established them to correct.
    Your eyes are too pure to approve evil,
    And You can not look on wickedness with favor.
    Why do You look with favor
    On those who deal treacherously?
    Why are You silent when the wicked swallow up
    Those more righteous than they?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

Unfortunately many (primarily one) theological systems maintain that the New Covenant is the grace of God manifested through the Law rather than apart from the Law.

Habakkuk 1:13 makes the statement that God (Father, Son, and Spirit) will not condone (or approve of) sin. This is the great problem of man.

BUT God became man, became a curse, bore our sin, and died on the cross for us.

The wages of sin is death. This is one reason I disagree with @Martin Marprelate 's post indicating that Christ being made sin was accomplished without Christ dying on the Cross.

I believe that Christ's death (God experiencing the wages on sin, or the "curse") is vital to our redemption. The Cross is the climax of the Son's obedience, his righteousness. The Resurrection is the hope we now have in Him.

5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Rolleyes I am sorry to learn that you disagree with the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit who inspired John, but what do They know? No doubt you will explain Their mistake to Them when you meet Them.

John 19:28. 'After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished ......' [Gk. teleo. Or 'finished' or 'made an end of'' or 'performed' or 'paid']..
    1. On the cross we may see the fulfilment of all the prophesies which had been written of the Messiah in the Old Testament.
    2. On the cross we see the completion of all His sufferings.
    3. On the cross we see the purpose of His coming attained.
    4. On the cross we can see the accomplishment of the Atonement.
    5. On the cross we can see the end of all our sins.
    6. On the cross we see the payment of the Law’s requirements.
    7. Finally, on the cross we see, by the eye of faith, the defeat of Satan.
    I have no time to work these things out here. I took them from a blog post I made 12 years ago. ‘It is Finished!’ Look there for more detail. I should add that I was heavily indebted to A.W. Pink for that post.

The point is that the Lord Jesus had to accomplish a whole lot more than simply dying. He did not need to suffer as He did just to die. That He had finished the work the Father had given Him is shown when, at the ninth hour the sun re-appeared, and no doubt our Lord was conscious once more of the Father's love and approval. Where just before He had cried, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?" Now He could dismiss His spirit with the word "Father" on His lips again (Luke 23:46).

But for those who want to be pedantic, there were two more things to be done, which happened almost immediately. Firstly, the fulfilment of Psalm 22:15. '...... That the Scripture might be fulfilled, [He] said, "I thirst!" Now a vessel of sour wine was sitting there, and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop and put it to His mouth......'
    And lastly, of course, ' ....... He gave up [or 'dismissed'] His spirit.' No one can kill God; He gave up His life when His work on earth was complete (John 10:18; 17:4).

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMHO on the cross he was made sin, "our sin,"
    All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD [God the Father] hath laid on him [the Son of God] the iniquity of us all. Isa 53:6

Therefore as James by the HS says, when sin is finished it brings forth death. Jesus then dismissed his life onto the hands of his Father.

All of this goes along perfectly with the last chronological words of Jesus.

Jesus is made sin, My God, My God why have thou forsaken me?
    sin is condemned in [to] the flesh Rom 8:3 [John knowing that all things were now accomplished[ Matt It is finished, James 1:6
    I thirst. ? Psa 69:21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
    death [shed the soul/life, of the flesh, in the blood, for redemption] Father into your hands I commit the spirit of me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite the contrary. Where you insist that the "truth" of what Scripture "teaches" is somehow absent the actual text of Scripture, I believe that God is teaching what He has written in His Word.

Perhaps it would be better if you were more indebted to God than you are Pink.

Christ's death really dies matter. His death was not merely an exit from this world after redemption had been accomplished. He died for our sins (I realize you believe that a metaphor for God punished Him instead of us paying out debt and when redemption was accomplished He had nothing else to do so He died).

But you sacrifice so much Scripture on the altar of your theories.

That is what has led you so far from out faith. You have built theory upon theory, spiraling increasingly further from God's Word you are unable to accept even the simplest of truths without qualifying them against your theology.

You are the falcon who not only cannot hear the falconer but has forgotten one exists.

Christ really did die for our sins. Rather than reasoning that truth away, making Christ's death a meaningless aftereffect, you would do better by simply accepting that truth.

Your reasoning that the text of Scripture would only be correct had Jesus cried out "it is finished" after His death is not logical.

No, @Martin Marprelate , Christ's death was not in vain. His death really did matter. He died for our sins.

8. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So was Jesus lying or was He merely mistaken when He said, "It is finished"?

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, Jesus was not lying. God was not lying when He said (through Paul) that He died for our sins and purchased us with His blood.

Your posts seem to indicate that you may have been carried away by vain philosophy, Martin.

You pick up on one word or phrase and read into that your entire philosophy of the Cross - even at the expense of God's Word.

Christ had been obedient even unto death on a cross. It was a accomplished.

Denying the power of Christ's blood, of His death for our sins, is a denial of traditional Christianity.

But how can you share in His death if you believe it a meaningless exit?

10. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again, you do not answer the question in your haste to make an utterly false accusation against me..
    In John 17:17:4, the Lord Jesus says, "I have finished the work which You have given Me to do." In John 19:28, we are told, 'After this, Jesus, knowing all things were now acconplished,' and in John 17:30, He declares, "It is finished." Needless to say, all this takes places before He dies.
    So iit's not once, but three timees that our Lord considers the work done before His death. Now go away and think about that. It really isn't difficult. And when you have thought it through, which should take you all of 30 seconds, you will understand that you have made a fool of yourself, and made a totally unjustified attempt to blacken my character.

We have corresponded for more than five years now. If you really think that I don't believe that the Lord Jesus needed to die, you can never have read my posts. with any interest at all.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I did. Jesus ministry was completed. It was finished. He was obedient to God.

Look, you will never convince me that Christ's death was worthless.

You are allowing your theories to override Christian doctrine.

Consider that Christ said that He had finished His work in John 17 (prior to the Cross, prior to saying "it is finished".

No, @Martin Marprelate , the Cross matters. Christ's death matters. Our salvation depends on it.

12. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you care to tell us exactly where I have said that the cross 'does not matter'?

13. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is from my post #8 on this thread.
    I have never ever denied that the death of the Lord Jesus 'does not matter.' God forbid I should ever do so! That is all in the fevered imagination of @JonC who never reads my posts, or if he does, doesn't understand them.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I mean is towards redemption (context matters).

You have repeatedly argued against my insistence that Christ died for our sins (a physical death) by insisting Cjrist's work of atonement was accomplished prior to His death.

In your opinion, how did Jesus' physical death on the Cross purchase us?

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Context matters.

I am saying that you have repeatedly argued against my insistence that Christ physically died on the cross to redeem us from sin and death.

You even went so far as to accuse me of arguing against the Holy Spirit and calling Jesus a liar for claiming Chriat died for our sins (which is what led us to this temperment of discourse).

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Martin Marprelate ,

If I have misunderstood you then I apologize. It is possible that your accusation I was calling Jesus a liar and denying the Holy Spirit by saying that we were redeemed by Christ's death set the tone which led to a misunderstanding.

Rather than trying to figure out where I misunderstood you by reading numerous posts, I'll just ask here -

1. On the cross Jesus cried "it is finished" then He died.

2. How did Christ's death (after crying "it is finished") redeem us from our sins?

In other words - we know how traditional Christianity viewed Jesus' physical death as redeeming man and the resurrection as tge hope of our faith in Him.

But you have not specified exactly how Christ's death redeemed us.

Instead you seem to say that our redemption was the Father either punishinging our sins on Christ or separating from Him before He cried out "it is finished".

How did Christ's physical death redeem us?

17. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He couldn't talk, after His Death on the cross.

So He said, "it is finished" prior to His Death, even though His saying that His Accomplishment, of "it is finished", includes His Death?

Gill may be stating Jesus' Death, as implied when "he said, it is finished;"

Gill says Jesus did the Father's Will, to "obtain eternal salvation for his people,
    all which were now done, or as good as done;

Gill:

"John 19:30

"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar
    Of the Roman soldiers, who offered it to him, either by way of reproach, or to quench his thirst; and he drank of it, as is very likely:

"he said, it is finished;
    that is, the whole will of God; as that he should be incarnate, be exposed to shame and reproach, and suffer much, and die;

"the whole work his Father gave him to do, which was to preach the Gospel, work miracles, and obtain eternal salvation for his people, all which were now done, or as good as done;

"the whole righteousness of the law was fulfilled, an holy nature assumed, perfect obedience yielded to it, and the penalty of death endured;

"hence a perfect righteousness was finished agreeably to the law, which was magnified and made honourable by it, and redemption from its curse and condemnation secured;

"sin was made an end of, full atonement and satisfaction for it were given;

"complete pardon procured, peace made, and redemption from all iniquity obtained;

"all enemies were conquered; all types, promises, and prophecies were fulfilled,
    and his own course of life ended: the reason of his saying so was, because all this was near being done, just upon finishing, and was as good as done; and was sure and certain, and so complete, that nothing need, or could be added to it;

"and it was done entirely without the help of man, and cannot be undone;

"all which since has more clearly appeared by Christ's resurrection from the dead, his entrance into heaven, his session at God's right hand, the declaration of the Gospel, and the application of salvation to particular persons:

"and he bowed his head;
    as one dying, and freely submitting to his Father's will, and the stroke of death:

"and gave up the ghost;
    his spirit or soul into the hands of his Father; freely laying down that precious life of his which no man could take away from him."

#137 Alan Gross, Mar 3, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

@Martin Marprelate , IMHO, took the passage to an extreme in his interpretation when he declared that view is calling Jesus a liar and denying the Holy Spirit's revelation in John.

19. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO It was the blood of Christ that ultimately paid for our sins He had to die and shed His blood. Which He did
    MB

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree He died for our sins. In Scripture the "shedding of blood" is a way of speaking of death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.