1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How did modern worship music turn out to be so bad?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by MennoSota, Jun 22, 2017.

1. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have been subjected to some horrible worship songs over the years, but the stuff being pumped out in recent years seems to be devoid of any theology.
    I went to a local Christian College and the worship leader played a song that literally made me laugh out loud at the emptiness of the song. (I just told the pentacostals in the group that I was struck with holy laughter. )
    What has happened? Why has church music become empty of theology?

By the way...here's the song I laughed at.

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like that song. Not that version, but I like the song.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just my opinion, but I think it is because the music stopped being about God and what He has done and started being about us and our worship experience.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you are good, good, oh.

HankD

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One of my thoughts is that people are making money writing and producing songs that are easy on the ears and make a person feel good.
    Lyrics become secondary to feeling good. "It was a tough week. I just need something that soothes me."
    Since Hillsong showed you can make a lot of money with worship songs and a band, there has been more groups putting out the same formula.
    I just wish the songs provided theological substance. Where have all the great Christian poets gone to?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the song you chose is 4:59 that's looong.

HankD

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same place all the rest of the great poets have gone? English poetry just ain't what it used to be, secular or religious.

Sometimes I think we forget how many third-rate songs we churches have sung across the centuries. The good ones are kept, the weak ones are discarded. So it will be with the current crop.

There are actually some very good songs, even hymns (those by Stuart Townend and Keith Getty come to mind) being produced. It wouldn't surprise me if they aren't still part of the canon a century from now.

BTW: What exactly is your aversion to "King of My Heart"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree that the hymnal I grew up with was filled with bad songs as well. The gems do rise to the surface.
    However, much of what is written today is just a throw away song meant to give a good feeling for a few weeks until people get bored with it. Then move on.

My fault with "King of my Heart" is that there is no theological teaching present. It is merely a feel good song. It made me feel like laughing.
    The great hymns teach deep truths. They sink their teeth deep into God's word and teach the congregation about God's attributes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I can't disagree that there's too much novelty. If you're not careful, no one learns a song before you move on and leave it in the dust.

We're not going to agree on "King of My Heart." It recalls the Psalms, even if it's not as elegant (though I can do without the chorus). There are much songs out there.

My greatest complaint is not about the lyrics necessarily (though some are poor) but about the music. Too often it's meant for soloists or professionals and is difficult for congregations to sing because of rhythm or odd tune development. Congregational singing is enjoined in the New Testament, not solos or "special" music, and the congregation should be able to sing it.

For an example of what I think is a modern classic, I submit:

How Deep The Father’s Love For Us - Stuart Townend

10. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the problem is two fold. One CCM is big business and if a group can get a song played in a lot of churches they make a lot of money off of it. To be able to get the widest possible audience they have to avoid any troubling doctrines that may upset this camp or that camp. That is why I think the lyrics of songs by Hillsong or Bethel are as generic as they can get and allow the individual to interpret it how they want. I think the second problem is that churches don't pracitce decernment in the area of music like they should. Now just to be clear I'm not talking about style, you can have a rock song, or even a rap song (Shai Linne comes to mind) that have depth and good teaching to them. Churches seem to use what is popular as a guage instead of what is Biblical when it comes to song selection which I think is a huge mistake, given how music has an amazing way of sticking with you. I can't tell you the messages I heard at summer camp in high school, but I can still sing the songs. I'm of the opinion that songs should be held the same doctrinal standard as the sermon. Now there are also labels I think Biblical Churches should avoid because those at the head of those labels are deep within WOF and NAR cult territory. I will not sing any song by Hillsong, Bethel, or Vineyard for that reason.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try: "Amazing Grace" or "How Great Thou Art" without instruments.

Drum beat is fleshly. God does not accept worship in the flesh.

We have too many money changers in the temple. "The love of money is the root of all evil."

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True a great deal of money "exchanges hands" in the all encompassing field of Christian enterprise

Nothing can be done in this world without money (even/especially in the endeavor of evangelization).

Yes we are in the world but not of the world.

Nevertheless.
    Pastors/Deacons: How do we quantify/appropriate/designate the line items and dollar amounts in our church "chart of accounts"? Where are lines drawn, what are the dollar amounts (spiritual vs. less than spiritual)?

Etc...

Obviously a local church matter after the word of God and prayer of course.

HankD

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I know. But what about the rest of the congregation? :Biggrin

Seriously, though, this is another issue. The songs today are very superficial. They lack substance when it comes to the topic of God and of redemption, relying instead on vague feelings. If they were secular songs I think that they would be more akin to pre-school music (simple, repetitive, and "fun" to sing). Sometimes they are awful theologically ("Arise" comes to mind) but sometimes they do convey a sense of truth and this becomes their defense. The wheels on the bus do, after all, go round and round. :Smile

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you read blessedwife post? She makes a good point.

The songs have to be watery "To be able to get the widest possible audience they have to avoid any troubling doctrines that may upset this camp or that camp".

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m not commenting on this particular song – I’d agree that there are some real stinkers out there.

I listen to background music in my office every day and have commented that some of today's popular non-religious songs have only a few words that are repeated over and over again.​

Our society emphases knowledge and rationality – you’re criticism relates to how today’s religious music fails to fill your need.
    ...but your criticism only focuses on one aspect of music – music has many different purposes and has many different roles.​

• Music sets devotional mood and focuses spiritual life
    • Music teaches or tells a story, aids in memorization like a mnemonic device
    • Music heals the soul
    • Music for entertainment/just for fun, joyous worship
    • Music to set a mood, ambiance or mood music, elevator music, fugues
    • Music to ease labor, work songs of agrarian cultures
    • Music for commercial/promotional purposes, jingles
    • Music for dance/movement
    • Military music
    • Practice music - music that develops musical skills
    Try to fit some of the "bad" music you listen to into one of these purposes.

Rob

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @blessedwife318 made two very good points. I think that this vagueness doesn't stop, unfortunately, with the music. David Wells once noted the issue of God resting too inconsequentially on churches.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good points.

How many of those distinctives might you apply to church worship?

18. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you could easily fit the first five into purposes of music in church culture

• Music sets devotional mood and focuses spiritual life (opening songs tend to be more lively)
    • Music teaches or tells a story, aids in memorization like a mnemonic device (Doctrinal teaching)
    • Music heals the soul (meditational type songs, songs during funerals)
    • Music for entertainment/just for fun, joyous worship (songs that make you want to stand up, shout, clap, etc.)
    • Music to set a mood, ambiance or mood music, elevator music, fugues (music played during prayer or communion times)
    Rob

19. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Church culture is a very broad spectrum. My focus is on Sunday service and worship. Here, I would emphasize teaching as the primary function of our music selection.
    As Jonathan Edwards pointed out, religious affections are not identified by emotional reaction. Therefore choosing songs to create an emotional feeling is not a function of being Spirit lead or Spirit driven. In fact, it can be a solely carnal function, devoid of God's Spirit. Humans are then lead on an emotional journey that feeds their selfish demands and wishes, yet has no spiritual edification.

20. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we follow the scripture concerning music, many congregations would disband. There is no real scriptural support for instruments of any kind. Now we have paid piano players who get applauded after every performance. God is not looking for accolades. He is looking for obedience with worship in Spirit and in Truth. We fall short in both categories.

Real Church is not entertainment of the flesh folks. Warm and fuzzy feelings do not come from God. Time to repent in sackcloth and ashes. "The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, who can know it?"

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James