1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How did modern worship music turn out to be so bad?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by MennoSota, Jun 22, 2017.

1. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I did not read ALL the replys, but what jumped out at me was the subject of the "song"! IOW, if you were a non-believer who heard this on the radio as you were driving, just WHO is this "YOU" that is "my song", and "won't let me down"?
    This could just as well be ole Slew-foot - if that's your cup of tea!!
    In any case, TOO long and TOO repetitious - like most are! (As one of my pastors said many years ago, "7-11 songs" IE: 7 phrases sung 11 times! :Rolleyes )

2. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree that there are a few spatterings of quality music. Townend's song is over 20 years old, however, so if we go by that we're looking at one good song per decade. ;)

3. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hmmm...I guess all those tamborines, lyres and other instruments never accompanied a psalm...

As for the rest of your comments. I agree...other than sackcloth and ashes. Can I exchange sackcloth for torn up jeans and ashes for engine grease? :)

4. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What do these lyrics even mean? All I hear is a whole bunch of metaphors that make no sense, followed by a whole bunch of "You are good, good, Oh!".

Also, what happens when a person's world completely collapses by God's ordained decree? That feeling of being let down is going to hit you between the eyes and you'll see that God let's your dreams and plans crash and burn on top of you. If you have no concept that the utter dismemberment of all your plans is God's blessing to you, you'll be greatly disappointed and feel that God absolutely let you down.

This song provides no help when such an event happens in your life.

I have no patience for the light and fluffy that only imagines big hugs from a teddy bear daddy.

Finally, I don't like Bethel Music. They teach that they are modern day prophets who are giving new revelation to us. I utterly reject such a claim as biblically incorrect and thus a false claim by Bethel Music.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was a song leader in our church over 40 years and we sang every song without instruments... Now I know that may sound strange to you but when I led and sang a song I felt the song I was singing and so did the congregation... Amazing Grace if one didn't know any better was our church Alma Mater... Maybe Brother RL Vaughn will give us his slant on this subject he sings Sacred Harp... Shape note singing... I have a question what instrument did the Lord create?... He gave you vocal cords didn't he... There is your instrument... Sometimes I break out in song by myself and sing my heart out to the Lord... Maybe kyredneck will give us his thoughts as I know his church doesn't use instruments either... So there you go MennoSota and don't forget this scripture... Brother Glen:)

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think a lot of what is wrong with both music and lyrics is that much song writing is a commercial enterprise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is exactly the feel I got from the song too. :)

I think the issue is that there are a lot of songs out there and a lot of songs that are good - but maybe not good for singing in church with a congregation. My daughter is on one of the worship teams at our campus and also for our college group and she came up with something that I think was very good a few years ago and I saved it. I think it helps to understand what songs are good for church and which songs are better left in the car or concert. :) Here is what she wrote:

• Like Like x 1
  8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, I don't get that from this song. Let's take a look at the lyrics:

Let the King of my heart
    Be the mountain where I run
    The fountain I drink from
    Oh, He is my song
    And let the King of my heart
    Be the shadow where I hide
    The ransom for my life
    Oh, He is my song

Yes You are good
    You're good, oh-oh

And let the King of my heart
    Be the wind inside my sails
    The anchor in the waves
    Oh-oh, He is my song
    Let the King of my heart
    Be the fire inside my veins
    The echo of my days
    Oh-oh, He is my song

You're never gonna let
    You're never gonna let me down[/quote]

Why would you need to run to a mountain or need a shadow to hide? It speaks of waves and God being an anchor. I see that as saying that God is our fortress and our strength. ;) Yes, God is good in the good AND the bad and He never lets us down.

This I agree with and it is why we avoid using Bethel music at our church. They do some weird things including something called "grave soaking" which is just downright weird.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of the performers and purveyors of CCM are (or were) young. They haven't had the experiences that disciplined their forerunners. Shallow roots yield meager fruits.

10. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why would you need to run to a mountain or need a shadow to hide? It speaks of waves and God being an anchor. I see that as saying that God is our fortress and our strength. ;) Yes, God is good in the good AND the bad and He never lets us down.

This I agree with and it is why we avoid using Bethel music at our church. They do some weird things including something called "grave soaking" which is just downright weird.[/QUOTE]
    I appreciate your attempt to explain "King of my Heart." I still don't see it or understand it. Too many disconnected metaphors.

As for Bethel Music...we're on the same page.

11. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it laughable that the modern church is over the top with preoccupation about music.

Charles H. Spurgeon and I would agree on a greater level about music in the worship than I ever would with most modern puff and fluff.

There isn't a modern church that holds a flickering candle in comparison to the torch of the work his church accomplished.

Unbelievably shallow, vain, and worthless music in the assembly such as illustrated by the op is an embarrassment.

That there seems no shame and much less actual discernment of members on the BB about the op music is pathetically pitiful. Rather, there is actually endorsement!

No wonder Christ ask that rhetorical question, "When I return, will I find true faith on this earth?" (Luke18). If the church lacks even the ability to discern and make appropriate judgements on the expression of true faith and righteousness, how will it ever become more than moderately warm and worthy of disregard?

12. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you share with us what Spurgeon said about music that you're agreeing with?

Thanks!

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that fact that some people take themselves and their opinions more seriously than they should might also be pathetically pitiful. It's a possibility.

14. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't like metaphors? Don't read the psalms. ;)

I understood the metaphors perfectly. The contrasting attributes of God's refuge being a mountain AND a shadow, then his strength being wind to move the ship AND an anchor to hold it still was very psalm-like to me.

And God is described as "good" many time over in the psalms.

If the song isn't your cup of tea, then that's fine. I liked it. I probably won't go around singing it, but I enjoyed listening to it and agreeing with the singers that this is who God is.

15. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wow, perhaps I have a higher view of the psalms...or you have deeper insight into the masterful use of metaphors in that song. I don't get it and ultimately I end up laughing at the tortured metaphors being used in that song.

16. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why does every song have to contain deep theology? Can't Christians sometimes enjoy things?

• Like Like x 2
  17. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sure, but not as a congregational sing. Put KOYH on in your car and enjoy.

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could enjoy it fine in my car or at church.
    Ok, I just don't get the objection. Is it ok for the pastor to tell a joke on the pulpit? What if the joke is funny, but contains no theological value?

19. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A joke from the pulpit should fit with the theological point being made from scripture. A joke for laughters sake is a wasted moment by the preacher.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It serves the purpose of focusing peoples attention.

Is the theology of King of your heart really that bad? If a believer truly makes Jesus The King of their heart, the rest of those deep theological issues will fall into place.
    This whole discussion reminds me of one of my friends who quit going to church. He is a Christian. He goes to small group Bible studies, shows fruit, etc. He just does not like organized church. His most often stated reason is "I just got tired of dealing with those bitter old bastards. They complain about everything and they are in every church around here."