1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How do you deal with alleged contradictions in the Bible?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by rlvaughn, Feb 4, 2021.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I was reading another thread yesterday, it struck me that we may have changed (generally) how we deal with alleged contradictions in the Bible. When I was a child, it seemed like unbelievers came up with them and Christians tried to answer them. Now it seems we have Christians coming up with them to use against other Christians with whom they don’t agree. (Probably always been some of that, just more obvious now that we have the internet, as opposed to dealing with this on a personal level.) Below are some examples of alleged contradictions in the Bible.
    • There is a contradiction about who is the father of Joseph (Jesus’s stepfather). Matthew 1:16 says Jacob. Luke 3:23 says Eli.
    • There is a contradiction about how Judas died. Matthew 27:5 says he hung himself. Acts 1:18 say he fell and his bowels spilled out.
    • There is a contradiction about calling someone a fool. Jesus in Matthew 5:22 says don’t do it, lest engendering danger of hell fire. Paul does it, in 1 Corinthians 15:36.
    • There is a contradiction about whether God authors confusion. Genesis 11:7-9 says he did at Babel. 1 Corinthians 14:33 says he doesn’t.
    These are just some examples to illustrate the point. The question is more about how you deal with alleged contradictions, generally, rather than exactly how you answer those four above. Do you answer or try to answer them, believing the Bible is inspired and inerrant, and therefore has no contradictions? Do you assume there may be a possibility of contradictions in the Bible? Something else?

Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe (the verb is, yet again "believe", you know, as in "faith", as in literally the means of our salvation), I believe, I said, that my King James Bible is given by inspiration and to this day, I haven't encountered a contradiction that can't be reasonably reconciled in it, if I give God the benefit of the doubt. Are there possibly some contradictions that I would not be able to reconcile? Possibly. So what? I trust God. In due time I'll have my answer, as has often happened. If I understood everything, there would be no more place for faith.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    How true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is easy to find whole websites dedicated to identifying difficulties in God's word. Most are manufactured, using an interpretation that creates the difficulty.

No, I do not try to address the wholesale lists of difficulties, but do attempt to address posted questions concerning interpretations by seekers of truth.

#4 Van, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  5. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the Holy Bible IS the Word of Almighty God, it is in the Original Autographs, 100% Perfect, without any errors. However, the Originals no longer exist, and what we have a faithful copies that have been made from the Originals. There are what is known in textual studies, as "copyist errors", when those you hand copied the manuscripts, made "mistakes" in their work, which have come down to us over the years. Two such are, Matthew 5:22, "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment" (KJV). Where the words "without a cause" have been removed in modern versions. Then we have John 7:8, "Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast: for my time is not yet full come" (KJV), where again the word "yet" has been omitted in modern versions, which basically makes Jesus into a liar, as He did later go to the feast! Then there are 1 Timothy 3:16, where "God" has been removed, and replaced with "who"; and the clearest testimony to the Holy Trinity, in 1 John 5:7, which again has been completely removed!

There can be no contradictions in the Bible, what seems to be, are man-made.

6. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pretty early on I simply use the ignore button. Nobody's mind is ever changed on this "Debate" forum, so everything degrades into warfare.

Scripturally, I think it could be pretty easily established that a "Debate" forum is neither godly nor Christian.

Though I wish that I could say that I have found plenty of like-minded Christians on this forum with which I could fellowship with, the truth is, that is not the case. This is an adversarial environment.

More than anything anymore, I come here and read, to guage just how far the "modern church" has strayed from the Lord. It is sad and getting sadder by the day.

Just minutes ago, another thread was immediately closed by a mod, that was pronounced by another mod that the thread would be open for several more hours. Sick.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I heard and believe as I was told many years ago by many and still hold this truth today there are no contradictions in scripture... If there is a contradiction in scripture the contradiction is in the reader not the writer and if one waits awhile God may somewhere down the road reveal it or he may not... There have been many times I have looked at a scripture and I see something new, at a scripture I have read time and time and time again and I ask myself why didn't I see that before?... Brethren who say there is a contradiction, to me God will let us wander in our own wilderness, if we dig and dig and dig, then maybe we will find the gem we are seeking... Always compare scripture with scripture, then wait on the Lord for the interpretation and it can come from God in many ways... The following is a song by William Cowper that I remember singing in church, notice the last stanza of God Moves In A Mysterious Way... Brother Glen:)

God Move In A Mysterious Way

Blind unbelief is sure to err
    And scan his work in vain
    God is his own interpreter
    And he will make it plain.

• Like Like x 3
  8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I think that is a good distinction. Some people are not interested in the truth, just trying to find fault with the Bible. Most of those will not be satisfied with any explanation, however well made. However, there are sincere seekers of truth who find themselves confused by certain things in the Bible, and they desire and deserve honest answers.

#8 rlvaughn, Feb 4, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you sir, are one of the few on this forum that I do not view as an antagonist.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found the following explanation useful, here below abridged from Bible Answers:

Some people will hear replies from Christians explaining alleged contradictions, and then say they do not find the explanation convincing.

There are plausible explanations for every alleged contradiction in the Bible. That there is a plausible explanation for an alleged contradiction does not mean that it is definitely the correct explanation for the alleged contradiction. However, as long as a possible explanation has been suggested, then it has been objectively demonstrated that there is no necessary contradiction regarding the Bible verses and passages brought up.

When people like say that they do not find a particular explanation for a contradiction “convincing,” that is merely their opinion. A plausible explanation has been suggested that eliminates the necessary alleged contradiction. That they simply do not like it is not at all a relevant argument against the explanation.​

• Like Like x 2
  11. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am often guilty of getting sucked into it, but it definitely has sharpened my iron as I've often gotten some gems in proving or disproving a doctrine.
    Also, on certain issues, like this newly-minted-as-Christian position that copied translations can't be inspired, I go to town because it is vital. Will I change minds? Probably not. But in that last thread I did the dirty work to expose the fact that the brethren's unbelief was not in the KJB alone, but in any Bible as being perfect.
    Some guy then swoops in and makes a good case with temperance and gentility, great, but the soil first had to be plowed.

But yes, you're right, it does often degrade into contention and strife, and I am guilty too.
    Good words brother.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I do.
    Personally, I cannot conceive of anyone whom the Holy Ghost resides in, ever stating that there are anything other than apparent contradictions in His word.
    Those that do not have the Spirit?

I see that everyday on television and other sources of media.

#12 Dave G, Feb 4, 2021
  13. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.
    I also believe that God will indeed show them in the course of their personal studies.

He may even use brethren to help point the way.:)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    " Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
    8 for every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."
    ( Matthew 7:7-8 ).

15. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the risk of sounding contentious, I think that one's application of "inspired" is crucial.
    --If a translator's inspiration is considered somewhat akin to that of a composer inspired to write beautiful music, I'd say absolutely. IMO, there are a number of dependable translations in English made by knowledgeable people whose first goal was God's glory. My first choice is the KJV but that's preference more than doctrine.
    --If a translator's inspiration is held to be like the word found in II Tim. 3:16, I'd say absolutely not. I believe that "God-breathed" revelation ended with the completion of the canon of scripture.
    --IMO, the original autographs were made through a miracle of God. The preservation of scripture is by the providence of God.
    And I agree with the above post stating that apparent contradictions are due to the reader, not the scripture.

• Like Like x 1
  16. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to work in poor relief and street people would say that the Bible was full of contradictions. I have forgotten the name of the radio preacher who said to ask people to name just one contradiction. But I asked many people to name one. The answer was always that there were many of them. So I would ask them again to name just one.

It wasn’t really a fair question because they were uneducated people but I hoped that they would look more into the problem. The older generation was more reasonable and more polite.

Gleason Archer cleared up most of the questions. Some are minor textual problems.

The forgotten Walter Martin used to allude to the RCA commercial where the dog has its headed turned and ears up with the advertising slogan His Masters Voice. Since the Bible is perfect, we hear our Master’s voice on the pages of the Bible.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I find it amusing...see the true nature of man is conflict & warfare. Now God can influence mans natural leanings and indeed someone changed with the interaction with the Holy Ghost will be disturbed by this forum, but the unsaved will still dominate the discourse. And conflict will always raise emotion thereby securing readership. Quite a conundrum for a forum that postures itself as a Baptist Christian place, right.

#17 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  18. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    #1 Matthew is a tax collector or was.. so his background would do the lineage per the head of the household; hence Joseph whereas Luke was a physician or was and so his background would lead to do the lineage according to Mary's father. In other words, there are 2 lineages being done between the 2 gospels & they are also done differently as Luke goes all the way back to Adam whereas Matthew does it in according to .the nation of Israel to Abraham as the founder.

#2 Judas had to be cut down from the tree after hanging himself. His corpse did spill out on the grounds when it fell to the ground.

#3. The NASB leaves out "without a cause" in regards to anyone being angry with his brother in Matthew 5:22 even though a footnote has it but the KJV has it in the verse. That said, it falls to reason that the consequences for the other 2 acts listed in Matthew 5:22 if it was done without a cause.

Matthew 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

#4 The confusion at babel was God separating the people by different languages to spread them out across the earth. There was order in that assigned confusion by the separating of the one languages to many languages to force the people to divide themselves by their own languages & spread out from the tower of babel.

As for God not being the author of confusion, disorder in the church where it is chaos is why God is not the author of that confusion in regards to what goes on in the churches.

1 Corinthians 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. KJV

It is a matter of applying His words for what confusion is about that God is not the author of

• Like Like x 1
  19. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have not prove your newly-minted opinion that it is actually a "newly-minted-as-Christian position" to be true.

Do you ignore and avoid the fact that it was the position of the KJV translators themselves according to their 1611 preface?

Miles Smith presented the view of the KJV translators as the following: “No cause therefore why the word translated should be denied to be the word, or forbidden to be current, notwithstanding that some imperfections and blemishes may be noted in the setting forth of it. For whatever was perfect under the sun, where apostles or apostolike men, that is, men indured with an extraordinary measure of God’s Spirit, and privileged with the privilege of infallibility, had not their hand? The Romanists therefore in refusing to hear, and daring to burn the word translated, did no less then despite the Spirit of grace, from whom originally it proceeded, and whose sense and meaning, as well as man’s weakness would enable, it did express.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The translators of the 1611 Kjv were NOT KJVO themselves!