1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How do you feel about anything but the American flag, flown in the States?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Jul 5, 2014.

?
  1. Don't like it at all .....

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. It's not an issue ....

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. Depends on when and where and why [see explanation] ....

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. No opinion ....

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Pardon my grin - my post was intended for TND whose post I was quoting. He posted virtually those identical words in another flag thread :).

I fail to see how your church scenario has anything to do with public flag displays. Please excuse my ignorance.

I can't see how, in a country built on freedom, the flying of foreign flags is inconsistent with freedom.

Assimilation? I think I remember a brilliant Twilight Zone episode or two criticising communism that deal with such 'assimilation.'

If these thoughts really make me a liberal it is a badge I will wear with honour.

#21 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could see your grin, strange as that sounds! :smilewinkgrin:

Come on, my church scenario is something that you can wrap your head around, and I'd like to know what you would do if that happened?

Amuse me .... grin and give me an answer!

I was trying to draw a comparison for you that would be something like I feel.

I am not for legislating one flag only. I thought I had a good point though and yet you skip over the points like a flat rock on a smooth pond.

I can't believe fomr one minute that you or your church would accept that kind of behavior. And what I am saying is that their behavior is like sticking their country in the face of all Americans! There are times that I go to certain areas of California and feel as though I stepped out of reality and into another country!

If I want a Mexican or south of the border flavor, I go to a Mexican restaurant. If I want fish and chips, British style, I go to an English pub. If I have a taste for French, Mimi's isn't to far off course!

I am telling you that the folks I know are tired of incondierate foreigners, hear illegally, taking over parks, neighborhods and other things because part of becoming a citizen shuld invole a growth in loyalty to the country you are living in and plan to die in!

Let's say I snuck into Ireland, and got hired as a pastor of a local church, yet because I didn't agree with the IRA and other issues that led to years of killing, spoke disdain for everything Irish. Let's say, everywhere I went, I talked up America and wrapped the stars and stripes around my body, and flew a flag in my front yard, and even placed one in the sanctuary, and had the church sing God bless America every service? Let's say, I told you and others that I didn't need to apply for citizenship, because I was demanding asylum or amnesty treatment in leiu of citizenship, in order to get medical care and whatever benefits Irish citizens are elegible for, but continued to show disrespect for Ireland, her people, her traditions, her customs, and her laws by not applying for a drivers license or paying insurance, but continuing to drive on your streets and highways? How long would it take before good, well meaning, loving Irish folks would show their disfavor towards me, either passively or aggressively! And you? Wouldn't you as a fellow American take me aside and ask me to tone it down?

I'd like to know how you would feel about me if I were to do this, in the country you call your home for the present time?

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I am not saying that any of that would be acceptable, this thread was only asking the question about whether or not the display of foreign flags should be illegal or frowned upon.

My opinion is no - nether should happen.

We have no flags in our church and would not be open to any flag being displayed for policital reasons.

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks ....

Now you put a grin on my face! That wasn't that hard was it? God bless and good day mate!

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

But we don't even allow an Irish flag.

6. thisnumbersdisconnected

This country, this flag. There's a reason all other flags are to fly in a secondary position to the U.S. flag.

What I said in the other thread is not in conflict with this statement.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I am pretty sure the flag code treats all national flags equally when displayed together. I am sure you will let me know if
    I am incorrect.

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

Gee, ya think? :laugh: :thumbsup:
    Only at the United Nations and the aforementioned sporting events.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Check out my post #6 on this thread. I'd be interested in your take.

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

Also from the U.S. Flag Code:
    Question: Are we at peace with "the nation" of Islam? Good question. While there is no true "nation of Islam," ISIS is flying this flag:

[​IMG]

Do we give that flag equal prominence with the U.S. flag? Do we give this one ...

[​IMG]

... equal prominence with ours?

Here are my answers:

No, we are not at peace with "the nation" of Islam, given that terminology is used by the fanatics who want a world united under Islamic law and government.

No, we do not give the first flag equal prominence with the U.S. flag, nor do we allow it to be flow in this country.

No, we do not give the second flag equal prominence with the U.S. flag, and decisions upon whether it will be flown in the U.S. will be determined by the intent and purpose for displaying it.

If anyone doesn't like that attitude, tough.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that common thinking of most/all churches in Ireland?

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I've never to a service outside the US where a national flag is displayed. I have heard of it, but never seen it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.