1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you view the Orthodox Church?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Yeshua1, Jul 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would view Reformed Churches like Orthodox Churches. They hold bad doctrine. But Reformed people, like Orthodox people, are not beyond salvation.

I am not here to judge which error is worse. Orthodox churches have right some of what is wrong in Reformed Baptist doctrine. And Reformed Baptist doctrine has right some of what is wrong in Orthodox doctrine.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was simply a joke.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure. Along with other things.

Calvinistic soteriology incorporates Scripture but it also includes many other things. It incorporates a judicial philosophy that has in other areas of life been removed or transformed. It incorporates Roman Catholic principles in what it has reformed of RCC doctrine (especially Aquinas and Augustine).

4. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been in churches where the SS teaching overall was in the right direction because the people were centered on Christ. But, except for the pastors (who still tend to take license), I’m not sure that most could have fairly exegeted a passage to save their lives. Thank God they were counting on Jesus for that, and so should we all.

5. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I understand, and I "like"d it. :Thumbsup Maybe I'll just mark it funny to be clearer.

6. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a far more difficult feat. ;)

7. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The purpose of Revelation was to reveal what was going to come to pass....

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John.... - Revelation 1:1

Which all of this was to heavy for just ordinary churches in Asia that did not amount to anything....

The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; - Revelation 1:20 - Revelation 2:1

Ephesus - Messianic - Beginning with the Apostle to the Circumcision, Peter
    Smyrna - Martyr - Beginning with the Apostle to the Un-Circumcision, Paul
    Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
    Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
    Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
    Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
    Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Beginning with DL Moody, the first to make money off of ministry

Candlesticks - Seven church congregations
    Stars - Individuals within the congregations, all held in the right hand of Christ
    Seals - The seven seals sealed each congregation within the lambs book of life

And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. - Revelation 5:4

If this interpretation is not correct why all the ado?

[​IMG]

I believe the Orthodox church formed in Smyrnaen times and thrived in the Pergameon age. This continued on about till The Great Schism of 1054. In which the Catholic church would go Thyatirean ways.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eastern Orthodox... who can get drunker, them or the RC’s especially around the Christmas holidays. You will see them at church usually at a Christmas Eve Mass full of Plum Whiskey or Juniper Gin singing and throwing up. Yea, been exposed to that vomit... Mystical, mystical, candles burning, incense, bowing and kneeling... all designed to get your brain spinning

9. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have Orthodox roots on both sides. I teach a course about Cults at a local church's Bible Institute, and here are some of my notes. Listen to their own words, and tell me what we should think:

"The Orthodox Church invokes God's Grace for the sanctification of its members. For this reason, the Church uses sacred ceremonies instituted by Christ or His Apostles. The sacred ceremony of Baptism with that of Chrismation and the ceremony of the Holy Eucharist with that of Confession are the sacred Mysteria [sacraments] which every Christian should receive as an active communicant of divine Grace […] By Baptism, the Church holds that all optional and original sins are cleansed by the Grace of God.

The most awesome ceremony in the Orthodox Church is the Mysterion [sacrament] of the Holy Eucharist. This ceremony was instituted by Jesus Christ the day before His Crucifixion, as He enriched His Church forever with the Divine Gifts, His own Body and Blood. This ceremony of the Holy Eucharist is both His sacrifice for the salvation of man and a sacred mysterion. The Holy Eucharist is the seal of the proclamation of the communion with God. It is the only Sacrament offered by the Church in which the elements of bread and wine not only carry the Grace of God, as a mysterion, but are "changed" into and "are" the very Body and the very Blood of Christ, being a propitiatory sacrifice.

This awesome sacrifice has been entrusted to the Church to be RE-ENACTED and given to the faithful for the nourishment of their faith and the forgiveness of their sins in remembrance of the Lord."

"This Church of Christ has in its nature the tendency to become and to grow; it has the nature to engulf and develop the truths of Revelation; it is to be delved into from time to time to find and pronounce the truths of which the Church is the Pillar.

The Church, as a whole, is infallible, but it is not God-inspired to the extent that it has understood the entire depth of the truths and formulated and proclaimed them to the world. The Church, by nature and duty, from time to time - to settle controversies - formulates, defines, and pronounces some of these Revealed truths. In such instances, the Fathers of the Church have assembled in synods to discuss the disputed points and to decree and interpret the correct meaning of those truths. In doing so, the synods of the Fathers, as a whole and as individuals, have believed that their decisions are infallible. Their decisions, however, are not considered permanent until they are accepted by the "Conscience of the Church," the whole body of the faithful, clergy and laity, who must give their consent.

Christ entrusts His own Being to the Church, handing down divine Revelation, in oral form, and later recorded in written form, to constitute Tradition at large.

The teachings and the practices of the Orthodox Church are to be found in the Scriptures and Sacred Apostolic Tradition, which have been handed down to the Church of Christ in the Revelation of God. These sacred Sources are essential not only for correct teaching and worship, but especially as Sources of the promises and covenants of God fulfilled in the Person of Christ.

This does not mean that individuals, both clergy and laity, lack freedom to express their own spiritual insights, but the validity of these insights depends upon acceptance by other Fathers of the Church, without which it is wisest to keep silent and avoid being in opposition.

The highest authority for the interpretation and protection of the truths of the Revelation of God and for the preserving of those which were disputed is the Ecumenical Synod, the official council of bishops.

The 'Conscience of the Church-Ecclesia' is the highest authority of appeal in the Orthodox Church. It is, in reality, the common consent of opinions of faith, hope, and love by all communicants of the Church. This common consent is especially important for faith and morals, which are divine truths. The Conscience of the Church identifies truths indispensable for the faithful. The Conscience of the Church introduces the ever-existing truths of the Revealed Word for formulation in the Ecumenical Synods and accepts those truths of salvation already formulated by the Ecumenical Synods. The common consent of all members of the Church, accepting or rejecting a truth "formulated" by a synod, constitutes the Conscience of the Church."

The Fundamental Teachings of the Eastern Orthodox Church - Introduction to Orthodoxy Articles - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

All emphases are mine.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    reformed Baptists, or particular Baptists, have gotten it right concerning the Pauline Justification of the Gospel of Christ!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Augustine actually had much of his theology biblical, but it broke down it he tried to keep it biblical and catholic!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like basically Catholic Church minus the Pope!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Incense is used in heaven as related to us in Revelation, why do you feel it is wrong for us to use it down here? Bowing and kneeling, shouldn't all Christians be doing that during worship? As for drinking, as a Baptist you have no place to talk as many Baptists also use the stuff.

14. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Once again we see the fullness of the Christian worship experience and it is something that I don't expect you could ever understand.

15. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 15:2-9 “Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat.” He answered them, “And why do you break the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? For God commanded, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’ But you say, ‘If anyone tells his father or his mother, “What you would have gained from me is given to God,” he need not honor his father.’ So for the sake of your tradition you have made void the wordof God. You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: “‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because I have seen people with respiratory problems literally collapse from the stink, that’s why
    NO
    we generally don’t throw up in services though

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Worse:Cautious

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its not outward ritualism that counts, but the inward work of the Holy Spirit!

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus told us that we now worship in Spirit and truth, not in ritualism and false theology!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.