1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many more murders is your gun worth?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by FollowTheWay, Jul 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you will ignore accidental gun deaths until other accidental deaths are resolved. That's avoidance on your part.
    With cars, if you buckle your children in with seatbelts, you reduce deaths in an accident.
    With guns, if you lock your guns in a gun cabinet, you reduce deaths in an accidental shooting.
    Leaving a loaded gun sitting around the house is as foolish as driving 100 mph without wearing a seatbelt.

2. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't disagree with you. However, I will note that the only thing the OP did was to post that therapy dogs were brought in to help people who are dealing with the trauma of a mass shooting in Florida. The use of these dogs to assist with healing from PTSD seems valuable to me.

As for your analogies, training in self-defense is valuable in that it provides a person with options, should a dire emergency occur. With guns, however, the loudest people tend to be the ones who imagine themselves to be Clint Eastwood or John Wayne when they are much closer to Barney Fife.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FTW isn't as regular as others on the BB, he mostly just drops in to dump some TDS or far left propaganda every now and then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the link to the service dogs wasn’t the “only thing” the OP did. The title of the OP has nothing to do with service dogs and everything to do with making an outrageous statement about gun owners.

Your view of gun owners is stereotype based on ignorance.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're very narrow-minded and willfully ignorant if you think I'm connected to Rome in any way.

6. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you think that. And I know you despise Rome. Yet, your justification by faith plus works is a Roman Catholic teaching. So you either have to own that connection or explain how your faith plus works position is somehow different than Rome's faith plus works position.

7. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your point? None of my guns have accidentally killed anyone?
    With freedom comes responsibility. People who live free will have accidents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? After I have clearly made my point, you still don't know what my point is?
    Your argument is similar to that of people who refused to use seatbelts in cars. "No one has accidentally died from sitting in the back of my pickup bed while I drive down the highway. My driving hasn't killed anyone, so what's your point?"
    Do you see how far off that dialogue would be? Can you see how poor of an argument you are making?

9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

By same logic, how many murders by drunk drivers needed before all cars and trucks are outlawed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A weapon is a tool. My weapon needs to be ready to use when the need arises. Just like all other tools, their use comes with risk.
    You don't like freedom. You want your life micro managed by a government you feel will keep you safe. What you will get are tyrants that will make you anything but safe.

#50 Reynolds, Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have laws that prosecute such offenses. We don't just leave it up to personal preference.
    People are jumping the shark as you will not find any comment I have ever made saying guns should be universally outlawed. I am, however, pointing out that guns left lying around and loaded in the house is as stupid as driving 100 mph down a dirt road with kids sitting in the bed of the pickup.

Yet, we have people on this thread essentially saying that such a choice is just fine and "don't tell me what to do" (big whine).

12. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, a gun is a tool. It's only purpose is to kill a living creature.
    Lock up your tool when it's not in use.

13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will do whatever I want to with my tools.

14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A gun locked in a safe is worthless when you need it. My youngest could field strip, clean, and reassemble a Glock at age 7. He could hit IDPA small poppers at 30 ft. Just because some people are stupid, don't try to make me perform on their level. Some people need to be in a rubber room, some don't.

15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm honestly not impressed with your son's skills. I read it and see that you taught him how to kill at an early age. Why would that be something to be proud of?

Reynolds you are proving my point that some people argue for freedom to do stupid things.

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and we're not impressed by your preachy sanctimonious lectures. You'll be the last I'll take advice from on how to raise kids and grandkids. Mind your own business.

• Winner Winner x 3
  17. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin,
    My point is that my son knows that all the guns in my house, shop, trucks, and cars are real. He knows how to shoot them. He knows how to clean them. I feel no need to idiot proof my life to make a leftist like you happy. Idiot proof your own life if you feel the need.

Not all people need their hands held. My 11 year old is at the moment plowing the back 90 on a 100 hp tractor pulling a 12 ft offset. He will call me if he needs me. (That's common in the country) Maybe you and your friends should raise mature kids instead of trying to get me to dumb mine down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again you speak falsely about myself as I am by no means a liberal. But, I am by no means a right-wing libertarian and radically individualist either. I actually care about more than just myself and my kin. I guess to you, that is leftist, but, based on your comments there are likely no more than a handful of people who are farther right than where you stand, which in truth makes you an outlier in society.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The logic behind this thread is odd.

How many deaths is owing a car worth?

Tylenol has been used to murder people. About 500 people die from Tylenol annually. How much more before it is pulled from the market?

How many people have to die from knife stabbings in the UK before knives are made illegal? How many lives are knives worth?

What about fatal dog attacks in the UK? Not a lot, but how many human lives is owing a dog worth?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never sasi
    Did I say that. Posting this shows you don't really a pro-gun argument. You're not pro-life are you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.