1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Old is the Earth? Really??

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Obviously the point on the question of what language is being missed.

2. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You have simpy not understood a word I have said....not a word. I am also not surprised, as you were pre-disposed not to. That is fine. You do you.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I am not aware that you said anything of import!:smilewinkgrin:

4. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Probably not then...you do you.

5. quantumfaith

I realize that for some, a dogmatic position (not disrespectful) on the issue of the "How" of creation is necessary. Some will even allow that to cause friction and build walls between others who feel that there are different positions on YEC, OE, evolution etc. The word "evolution" is most often used in the context of biology and life, not commonly used in cosmology, at least not from my reading. I have no shame at all in stating that I fall somewhere in the "theistic evolution and Intelligent Design" positions with regard to creation and life, but for the me critical axiom is that, no matter the "how" it was indeed done and accomplished by YHWH. It was not my intent, nor will it be to "argue" over an issue which for me is not as essential as monotheism, and redemption from what Christ came and accomplished through his virgin birth, death and resurrection.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what the Bible says He said...

HankD

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is no such thing as not as essential when it comes to truth. All truth is essential and any kind of theistic evolution belief goes against the teachings is scripture. There is simply no part of the bible that is figured out by unproven science. If the creation account is not as it reads then there is no reason to believe that any other part is either including the plan of salvation. There can simply be no way to have some of it accurate and some not so accurate. The big bang is a wash whether theistic or not. The theory is contrary to scripture as no one ever read the Genesis account and walked away with a Big Bang or theistic evolution understanding. If that was not enough the Big Bang theory even from a theistic standpoint violates the laws of physics as we find some planets spinning one way and others in the opposite direction. Some spin one direction and have moons that spin in the opposite direction and some with several moons have them spinning in both directions. That is totally impossible from a big bang. That alone should send a message that God wants man to know that all of creation came about by the word in 6 literal days not long periods of time and certainly not from any Big bang.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As old as it needs to be. Really.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Not nearly as old as this debate.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So when Adam was 1 day old he was 18 inches long and weighed 7lbs?

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Precisely.

12. quantumfaith

Winman, if you think about it, aren't most "debates" here in BB land old and rehashed time and time again?

13. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

No one knows for sure exactly how old the earth is except the One Who created it. Does it really matter? When God began His creations on earth, it was "without form and void". Just how long was it "without form and void' before God actually created life on it? Although I've always been a "young earth" believer, I could be wrong. That's the difference between know-it-all people and people like me; I'm not too proud to admit that I don't have all the answers--just opinions.

14. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

The Word of God says the Earth and all that is in it was created in six days. And on the seventh day, God rested. There were only six days of creation... not millions of years.

I will not believe anything different.

15. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Genesis 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

Genesis 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

Exodus 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could there had been a long time between creation of adam/Eve and all animals/plants before they fell?

17. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

It is certainly worth noting that Scripture in Exodus confirm the Genesis account!

18. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

There could have been....therefore, since the Bible does not say, one cannot be dogmatic. (Theoretically, it could have been 68 Trillion Years, and I defy any Hovind sycophant [this is what we have here] to demonstrate otherwise). That being said...I am a YEC...I think 6-7k years...and I do not believe that it was a long time at all. The Bible however, does not say how old Adam and Eve were or how long they were in the garden prior to the fall. I personally, however, do not think it was long at all.

19. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

I also agree with this post....The Bible teaches..."In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth.." That is actually all it says...It then goes on to say..."And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters...et. al." While I personally believe that this is to be understood in conjunction with vs. 1 and that we should not assume any length of time between them....It is possible that there is one...even a very LONG one....I am not preaching a "gap theory" wherein there were pre-Adamic civilizations or anything, as that would be false. But it is at least Scripturally possible that God's decision to create life upon the Earth and to finish the creative act vis-a-vis vs 1 and 2 contains some amount of time. These are notions and possibilities never explored by the "6-7k only, and all others are heretics" group. And I am personally.....a 6-7k only type myself.

#99 HeirofSalvation, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
  20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    hard to fit evolution though in there, as NO death until Adam sinned, as creation had no sin/death etc until that time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.