1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Soon Do You Baptize New Converts?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tom Butler, May 22, 2009.

1. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I say baptize them as soon as they are ready. The key component is that they have given thier heart to Christ. When I accepted Christ as my savior at age 12, the church I attended told me that baptism is the first step in a Christian's life. It is important to impress on them that baptism is the next step. Its actually up to that person to decide whether or not he wants to follow.

In all honesty, when I was being baptized, all these thoughts were going through my head: "What if the pastor drops me as he's dunking me?" or "What if I'm dunked & haven't quite gotten a full breath?" I was so nervous, but everything went as it was supposed to.

2. AAA

AAA New Member

It was the practice of the early christian church in Acts to baptise them right away.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

That is certainly true. I wonder, however, if a church ought to totally suspend judgment regarding the validity of a conversion.

I'm thinking of Saul, who was baptized by the congregation at Damascus, even preached there. After a Jewish plot to kill him was uncovered, Saul escaped and went to Jerusalem, but the congregation would not automatically accept him. He tried to join the church there and they turned him down because of his earlier reputation. They required more evidence than his word.

So Barnabas took Saul and vouched for him.

I know, that's an unusual circumstance, and may not be universally applicable. But the Jerusalem church did look for evidence of conversion.

4. Bama Fan1

Bama Fan1 New Member

I think that we MUST remember that every situation is different. There are people who come to know Christ everyday who do not understand the meaning nor the need for baptism, however there are others who have never been saved who sit in our pews every week whom upon their salvation know perfectly well the purpose of baptism.

I believe that when children are involved in this issue, there should be some caution only because, I would never want a child to later be confused about their relationship with the Lord and think just because they were baptized that they are saved. I would advise parents to talk very clearly with their children and then let the parents along with the child make the decision on when the baptism should take place.

Never in any situation do I think that we should make a class of any sort NECESSARY before baptism. I think when we begin practices like this we are putting more confidence in our abilities than in the abilities of the Holy Spirit.

Just My Opinion!