1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

how to know you're really saved?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JimboJones, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Janosik

Janosik New Member

Johnv,

I like this one [​IMG]

JimboJones,

I tried to understand your definition of the word 'saved'. Let me repeat how I got it and please correct me if it's not what you think.

When you say 'Someone was saved' you mean that person accepted Christ as his/her saviour and became born again and became a child of God.
    When you say 'Someone is saved' you mean the person is still child of God. He/she lives in peace with God. He/she is reconciled to God.
    When you say 'Someone will be saved' you mean that person will enter into the heaven when he/she dies.

I agree with you that backsliders can lose their salvation. I hear some shots are coming from a select group of people [​IMG]

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You also need to have a good memory and not forget the gospel. If for some reason you forget what the gospel is, and forget that you accepted Jesus, then you are not saved because of bad memory.

Here's the Scripture:

Gosh, there goes those with Alzheimer's, and those with the minds of idiots, and those whose diabetes prevents them from remembering the gospel.

3. HisMercy

HisMercy New Member

Janosik,

Romans 9 will contradict the teaching of free will. Everything is done according to His will and according to His purpose.

JimboJones,

It is written, "Many are called but few are chosen." Wide is the road that leads to destruction and narrow is the road that leads to life and few find it.

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Tell us first what merit(s) are done for God to rebirth us by the Holy Spirit. Then tells us just one demerit that the backslider has committed to lose it the Holy Spirit.

God Bless! [​IMG]

5. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

"How can you know you're saved? If you've had your salvation questioned by a select group of people who post on this board, you're most definitely saved!!!"

Good one JohnV!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ah ! somebody is making sense here.

7. Janosik

Janosik New Member

HisMercy,

I read the Romans 9. If you believe that it denies free will it's your choice.
    My understanding is that God has power over our free will. He can harden whomever he wills but it does not imply the He is doing it all the time to everybody as you suggest.

Steaver,

the merit is Christ's saving work. Every time when you make a decision that is not inspired by the Holy Spirit you are turning away from God. If you do it more often then the other voice will become more influential inside you. Let me ask you this: Did you wash yourself yesterday? Were you clean yesterday? Why are you going to wash yourself today and tomorrow and day after tomorrow?

8. HisMercy

HisMercy New Member

Janosik,

Being saved is based upon His mercy. Romans 9:15-16 "For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that showeth mercy."

Salvation is a gift. We cannot will it. Salvation is given by His great mercy even though no one deserves it.

Romans 9:23 "and that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,"

HE DID IT ALL!

9. Janosik

Janosik New Member

Romans 9:15-16 appears to me in the following way. God will have mercy, will have compassion on whom He wants. His mercy belongs to Him and He can show it to anybody He wants. So then IT(His mercy) is not of anybody of us (of our will). We can not force God to show us His mercy. I agree big time that this is His gift. We don't deserve it.

But I don't see 9:15-16 to talk about our option to say yes or no to the gift.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then by the merit of Christ alone I am saved? No merits of my own?

Yes, Yes, and I am going to wash myself over and over because I keep on getting dirty.

Now what does that have to do with merit?

God Bless! [​IMG]

11. HisMercy

HisMercy New Member

Janosik,

Romans 9:21 "Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honor, and another unto dishonor?

He creates vessels(people) unto honor and dishonor to fulfill His purposes.

There isn't an option. We have no say in our salvation.

12. Janosik

Janosik New Member

Steaver,

before we continue I want to understand your definition of 'being saved'. Does this come close?

13. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Janosik said:

14. Janosik

Janosik New Member

HisMercy,

what is salvation according to you?

15. Janosik

Janosik New Member

Are you telling to God what to do? [​IMG]
    Take this one easy [​IMG]

16. HisMercy

HisMercy New Member

Janosik,

Salvation is the gift of eternal life.

Also look at 2Thess. 2:13 "But we are bound to give thanks always to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning CHOSEN you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:"

17. Janosik

Janosik New Member

If it's a gift so you can chose if you take it or not. Is it true?
    An eternal life can be lived anywhere. Is it true?

18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Janosik,

Biblical New Testament "saved" is when one has received the Holy Spirit, being "born again".

This encompasses "has been saved" "is saved" "is being saved" and "will be saved" as outlined in the scriptures.

One event, "born again", is the beginning eternal life of the child of God. This child is now saved, is being saved, and will be saved. Kept by the power of God, not by any power of their own.

God Bless!

19. HisMercy

HisMercy New Member

Janosik,

Eternal life is for eternity so yes your present life is part of eternity.

God chooses whom to give the gift to. The recipient doesn't choose to accept or not.

20. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

[surfacing]
    Hmmm...let's see:

"Cast away from you all the transgressions which you have committed, and get yourselves a new heart and new spirit. For why should you die, O house of Israel? For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies," says the Lord GOD, "Therefore turn and live!" (Ezek 18:31-32)

Looks like the new life is contingent on human response, specifically repentance.

Also regarding the potter-and-clay illustration mentioned earlier, let's see whether or not this really eliminates human choice:

"O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?" says the LORD. "Look, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel! The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up , to pull down, and destroy it, if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster I thought to bring upon it. And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and plant it, if it does evil in my sight so that it does not obey my voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it." (Jer. 18:5-10)

So in other words, God is the potter and can do as He wishes with the clay, and yet He tells Israel that what He ultimately does with them is contingent on how they respond to Him. This provides a little context to the Romans 9 debate and informs us that the point of Romans 9 is not to eliminate free will, but that mercy is from GOD and can only be obtained on HIS TERMS.
    [/submerging]