1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How to make disciples

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 22, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. Most unfortunately do not read books however Chris claims he did or does. Unfortunately most of his book reading I have noticed is self-help.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about the Bible?

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many years ago (and I know this sounds crude but IMO it's true wisdom) a man of wisdom told me "the sheep stink, you had better learn that now". Be prepared for crude language, habits, etc. That is what you are called to help with - for them to become overcomers.

But one thing the babes in Christ most likely don't need is a butcher trying to disciple them when what they need is a milkman or a baker. That's not always true. In the Great Awakening it was said of the freshly born again "These were born men and women".

Yes strong meat MUST come in its proper timing.

AOBTW unlike literal sheep the individual growth rates of the spiritual sheep are all different.

Unfortunately folks move around in our land of liberty sometimes on a whim of the flesh and remain babes all their Christian lives.

Also unfortunately, some make shipwreck of the faith or become embittered due to the world, the flesh and/or the devil (and even other Christians) before they are "grounded in the faith" and will never be used of God.

However there is never a hopeless case when it comes to God's mercy and grace.

We must do what we can when we can, where we can (in His power of course).

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he is interested in self-help subjects, that is a definite help to introducing him to the One Himself who helps us.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are preaching the Gospel and people are being saved...you are "making disciples."

Matthew 28:19-20
    King James Version (KJV)

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The first step in fulfilling the Great Commission is teach all nations (disciple all nations), at which point they are baptized.

We don't continually baptize believers.

I view it as saying, "Go, preach the Gospel, and unite all nations in relationship with Me. Then, teach them that which I have taught you, that they observe those teachings. I will be with you in this effort."

There is a difference between making disciples and discipling disciples, lol.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you that there is a difference between discipleship and evangelism. I do not meant that evangelism is something other than “making disciples”, but that it is a part of discipleship (not the whole).

Insofar as a “how to guide”, I think it best to simply stick with Scripture itself. I believe the command in Matthew 28:19 extends to the entire Church and is also a command to her individual members – as we go through this life we are to disciple people. We do this by baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Spirit, teaching them to observe all that Jesus has commanded.

This involves sharing the gospel and encouraging those who are drawn into the faith towards that end. We are not called to function outside of a local church, so as people are added to the church it is vital that they be functioning members of that body. We are never saved simply to be saved, but we are saved for God’s own glory (we are saved to be the “Bride”, corporately). So after conversion there is a lifetime of discipleship (we disciple others as others disciple us…we are corporately and individually followers of Christ).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like AA :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When it gets to that point, you may want to rethink the part about assigning a man to be her mentor and accountability partner!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. reformed_baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have I missed your response?

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry had to work yesterday. Give me till the end of the week.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Afreed, as would be best to have a mature christian sister to be doing that!

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Step one in "How to make Disciples" - become a disciple.
    Step two - after being discipled, use the bible study skills passed on to you and become an authorized workman, accurately handling the word of truth.
    Step three - join a discipleship team and learn from more experienced disciplers.
    Step four - when commissioned by the Elders, start a one on one discipleship program with a babe in Christ.

Remember, the discipler learns more at first than the one being discipled.

BTW, unless you have learned all that Christ commanded, you are in no position to pass it on.

• Like Like x 1
  14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just as I suspected. The majority of your posts are an attack on me! You are becoming just as bad as BW who at one time attacked me in over 80% of her posts.

15. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would love to see the Math on that claim.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to learnt he difference between an attack and simply pointing out facts that are uncomfortable. What I have done is the latter, but never an attack. It does appear that since you cannot refute what I have posted you resort to trying to make yourself a victim. It's called deflection. By the way, you are not a victim. Why not address what I have posted?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the OP author on "Ignore" (since he mocked me when I seriously shared about my father), but I'm always happy to follow threads on evangelism. So here are my comments, for what they are worth. The short version is: be filled with the Spirit, go out to evangelize, and then God will use you to win souls.

1. We are commanded in Matthew's Great Commission to "teach all nations" (KJV), with the Greek word matheteuo, meaning "make a disciple." In other words, we are commanded to actually win people to Christ, then baptize them, then continue to teach them Christ's commands. Some Calvinists vehemently object to the idea that we can actually win souls to Christ, but men like J. I. Packer and Spurgeon are quite comfortable with the prospect. As I told the OP author several times in detail, it's all about the work of the Holy Spirit. We "win the soul" as God's obedient servant, but it is done in the power of the Holy Spirit, Who is the one who regenerates and saves.

2. We are to then continue to teach, which process is sometimes called follow-up, but "discipling" works fine. We must teach the new convert on a regular basis the next steps: church, baptism, personal devotions, sanctification, witnessing, etc. Our church has a detailed program with which to do this, and I am thrilled that God is using me currently to disciple two men every week. The contact is sweet--I talked to both of them on the phone yesterday: D is having car problems, and H was looking forward to our Bible study.

This brings up something. I believe the greatest harvest field in the US is middle-aged or old single men. These men are divorced or never married, and full of heartache and pain. They can be reached for Christ!

#37 John of Japan, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our brother seems to take it that if we go agianst him at all, we must be wrong, or else accuse him of something!

19. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those would more correctly be referred to as Hyper Calvinists. (Don't repeat your Granddad's error of conflating the two. :) )

All true Particular Redemptionists know that the preaching of the gospel and witnessing to the lost is the means by which the sinner is drawn to the Savior.

Amen. And this is what the OP, and many others, fail to understand.

The Great Commission is 3 fold.

1. Win them (through preaching/witnessing).
    2. Baptize them (into local church membership).
    3. Instruct them (to grow in Grace and to win others and disciple them).

If we only do the first one we have only completed 1/3 of the Great Commission. A grade of 33% is a massive failure.

If we only do the first two, we have only completed 2/3 of the Great Commission. A Grade of 66% is still a failing grade.

We must do all three in order to actually obey the Great Commission.

20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, he offended a few with that one.... :confused:

Which is where I certainly agree.

Since coming back to the US almost 3 years ago, I've been quite pleased at how this church works to do all three, and also to do them on the mission fields of the world.

• Agree Agree x 1