1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How To Treat A Calvanist! Should we cut off Calvanists from the Body????

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, May 8, 2009.

1. JSM17

JSM17 New Member

Ann Wrote:
    My question is does scripture teach that all humans are "WICKED"?

Because we sin, does that make us "WICKED" according to scripture?

The ideas of Calvinism teach that we are Totally Depraved.

I can find many variations of how people define T.D. but how does scripture define T.D. if at all?

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know about "wicked." Actually, I thought that was a play on Broadway.

It's not the ideas of Calvinism. It's Scripture. I don't have the time or the inclination to list each one or to even copy & paste, but the following three web sites each show Biblical support for this position if you really want to search. The first one is from John Piper, a Baptist pastor in Minneapolis.

http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/piper/depravity.html

http://www.traviscarden.com/archive/2007/01/08/total-depravity-verse-list

http://www.gospeloutreach.net/total_depravity.html

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, the sinner certainly is not righteous before God are they? They ARE wicked. Romans 3 tells us "For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin, as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God."

Can we say that a child can sin? In Romans 14:23 Paul says, "Whatever is not from faith is sin." Is a child doing ANYTHING based on faith? Not faith in mom and dad but faith in God. I find that a very telling verse.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why don't you define it for us, then. "From the womb" all my children could do was cry, drink a bottle and burp up. What sin did they commit in this?
    Do you have a point with this? Are you going to answer the question what conscious sin a baby has committed?
    So you are basically saying words don't have meanings, and the Holy Spirit mistakenly added this word to the canon.
    Your ignorance of the atonement is noted.
    So...if it is not arbitrary, what is the reason? There has to be one in order for it not to be arbitrary...remember...words do have meanings.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Being born. I do not agree with what some believe but some would claim that sin is transmitted when the baby is conceived.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I thought we were discussing "from the womb"...3 and 4 year olds have been removed from the womb for some time, and even when they lash out against us, they don't have the conscious ability to realize they are breaking God's Law, but mommy and daddy's law. We are not separated from God for breaking man's law.
    There are plenty of Scripture stating people found not guilty go to Heaven, else you and I won't be there. Babies have the blood of Christ covering them. Spiritual death is the ceasing of life...there has to be life for it to cease or it is not death.
    Unless a 1 hour old baby is plotting sin, it is.
    The OT atonement would be a place for you to start. Who did the high priest make the atonement for?
    But it IS just for God to choose those who meet the requirements He has laid forth!
    Exactly! Our flawed justice even states one cannot be held accountable for which we have no control over...yet we do this with God.
    I'm dead serious...Paul thought he was doing the work of God in order to inherit eternal life. I don't see anything from Acts 9 that refutes this. God chose him to be an apostle, a chosen incident.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And we are told in Scripture that anything not done in faith is sin. So babies sin since they do not have faith.

Killing Christians would not have earned Paul eternal life according to the Law.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now you are really reaching. You are basically saying we are sinning by being conceived, which is contrary to Scripture. Sinners are those who sin.
    According to the law, heretics were to be killed.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yet Scripture says that anything done not in faith is sin. This must play out pretty big, don't you think?

OK, but was he seeking Jesus? No. It says so in Scripture. Paul did not want Jesus - he rejected Him clearly. It wasn't until God chose him that he changed his mind.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are aware of the context of Romans 14, aren't you? Using this as a proof text for just breathing air or being born as considered sin is not it, not to mention...if you do use this as a proof text, the ability to have faith is also needed...which in itself refutes your point, since babies don't have this mental capacity to have faith in Christ.
    True, he wasn't seeking Jesus...nobody does unless God reaches out to us first...exactly what he did in this instance. Do you believe Paul was forced to obey, or do you believe he could have disobeyed? He was God's "chosen instrument"...but this came only after he obeyed Christ and did what was commanded.

11. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Psa 22:9 But thou [art] he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope [when I was] upon my mother's breasts.
    10 I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou [art] my God from my mother's belly.

Jer 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, [and] I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

1Cr 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

12. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

Ultimately all you can do is laugh and pitty this hypocrite! Talk about how Calvinist are dividing then post a video about it that does nothing but divide. How funny:laugh:

But I guess she is getting her 15 minutes isn't she because we are taking the time to talk about her. I say ignore it.

13. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: I wonder how Ann or Rippon would respond to these passages.

14. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Interesting passage by the way. The silence is deadening Gup. If we were to take the position of those holding to original sin as a universal principle taken from Psalms 51:5, what stops the universalist, or one believing that all men are born in agreement with God, from taking this passage as a universal principle as well to support their argument? Such silliness some are engaged in establishing dogmas. Can you imagine what would happen if every time a Scripture speaks of one in the first person (as Ps 51:5 does) that we would extrapolate that as evidence of some universal principle? Selah.