1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How will your church celebrate the Reformation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Oct 28, 2017.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

A bit short on the historical facts?

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really did it matter?

Or, was it all God’s plan all along?

3. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have held the Reformed faith for 60 years, as an independent, evangelical Christian practising the baptism of believers.

So do we celebrate the Reformation?

Our Pastor 'celebrated the Reformation by preaching on "justification by faith" from Romans 1.

A neighbouring church had a special open meeting about Luther, his 95 theses & the 5 'solas' with a special guest speaker. A tremendous benefit was the translation, printing & wide distribution of the Bible.

The informal discussions afterwards were rather more interesting than the lecture. The 5 'solas' are true, but don't go far enough.

How did the Reformation affect Christians who were practicing their faith under RC persecution? Persecution by Protestants instead of RCs; baptist leaders were drowned & many 'anabaptists' & others whose conscience prevented them conforming were killed. Jews also were savagely presecuted. Freedom of religion - certainly NOT.

The 'Elizabethan Act of Uniformity required everyone to worship according to the Book of Common Prayer, with fines & prison for offenders. 150 years after 1517 the father of the hymn writer Isaac Watts was in prison for preaching when his son was born in 1674. Mummy used to take baby to the prison wall so Daddy could hear his baby. Only in 1689 was the Act partially repealed.

I took centuries for a measure of Christian freedom to be attained in some countries - a freedom where -
    render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, & to God the things that are God's
    was applied generally. A freedom that is now being replaced by the dominant religion of 'political correctness' that allows freedom for all sorts of sins & abominations, & false religions, but no freedom for those who condemn sin, stand up for the Gospel & the ONE way of salvation.

And now Lutherans & RCs have an agreed formula for 'Justification by faith.' BUT what is a Christian in the paedobaptist denominations?

4. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The true NT churches of Christ existed before the reformation so no need to celebrate a Protestant tradition.

5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel the same about Christmas and Easter. There is no warrant in scripture to celebrate these days on the Lord’s day. Christians have 52 special days each year. Celebrating specials days on days other than the Lord’s day? Fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same thing he felt about celebrating Christmas.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gotta love Landmarkers.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take it up with John, he said it, not me. He also implied the apostates can prevent the elect from being saved. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have seen hundreds come to Christ, drawn by my Holy Spirit empowered preaching Christ and Him Crucified (not Calvin, not Luther, not the Reformation, but Christ and Him Crucified).

How many have you seen come to Christ via your powerless street screeching?

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Souls are won (drawn to Christ) via the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. To deny that is to deny the Great Commission. :(

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Especially when they are right. :)

Jude 3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that you should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Not delivered, lost, and redelivered. Once delivered. True bible doctrine has been around since the 1st century AD. Nothing new was invented in 1517 - 1535. :)

12. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't deny that the truth has always existed. There is only one truth. I have an issue with Landmarkism. I do believe that the Baptist movement is a product of the Reformation and Protestantism. Of course, that's a whole other debate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you. I was stating that many of the new breed of "Calvinists" say we don't win souls.

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist roots seem to me to be bifurcated between Baptist which trace their linage through the Reformation via the Church of England and those dissenters from the CoE such as the Puritans who preferred Congregationalism over the CoE polity, and those who trace their linage through the Radical Reformation of the Mennonites and Anabaptists.

It is the latter group who see the Anabaptists as successors to Waldensians, Montanists, Petrobussians, Turtulianists, etc.

I believe there is sufficient historical evidence to effectively argue both positions.

I believe my faith/doctrine dates to the time of Christ, but the name "baptist" is most likely a diminutive of "anabaptist" and thus owes its origin to Continental Europe rather than England. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't even know there was a prayer button. If ever used it it was a mistake.

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's the last one on the right

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Landmarkism, when understood in its historic context is, in my opinion, fairly accurate.

1st Mark: The Church and the Kingdom of Christ is a divine institution.

2nd Mark: It is a visible institution.

3rd Mark: It is located upon the Earth.

4th Mark: It is a local, single, congregation.

5th Mark: The membership are all professedly regenerate before baptism.

6th Mark: Its baptism was the profession on the part of the subject of the faith of the gospel by which he is saved.

7th: Mark: The Lord's Supper was observed as a local church ordinance commemorative only of the sacrificial chastisement of Christ for His people never expressive of personal fellowship or of courtesy to others or as a sacrament.

I can't, for the most part, disagree with that. :)

18. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There were a group near here some of them, at least, mentioned by Foxe who were called a sort of Anlgicised anti Calvinist Anabaptists, due to persecution in this area they went over the water to Bocking in Essex. Eventually the were all caught and eventually all put to death. However someone I read years ago said they all had different views and the only thing they had in common was they were anti Catholic. I can't remember any more or who wrote it. One who gave a good account of himself in front of the Bishop was Nicholas Shetterton.

19. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yes, thanks.

20. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't say I agree with the last mark, mainly because I don't quite understand it.