1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How will your church celebrate the Reformation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, rather that the Church is built upon the foundation of Jesus, and the teachings of His Apostles!

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Apostles themselves?

3. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By before the reformation I should have said immediately before the reformatioin, say a couple of hundred years before. Or to be more exact, Immediately before.

4. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wesley in his Journal. As you probably Know,Wesley probably all know, Wesley travelled thousands of miles on horseback. He said in his journal that in his time it was said that you should ride with a tight rein, but he found it best to ride with a loose rein, so he could read as he rode. His reading of Montanus was on one of those journeys if I remember correctly.

I did read Mosheim, but most of my reading of Montanus was from E. de Pressence, Heresy and Christian Doctrine. who said he put Montanus amongst the Judaising heresies, He also said that when it was said the Montanus said he was the Paraclete, not him claiming to be the spirit, but that it was the spirit speaking in him. My other main study was from Wm Goode in Modern Claims To The Possession Of The Extraordinary gifts of the Spirit, Stated and Examined and Compared with the Most Remarkable Cases Of A Similar Kind That Have Occurred In The Christian Church, Second Edition 1834. That is the short title, the Library copy I first read shortened it even more to Goode's Modern Claims, It was reprinted some years ago with some notes on more modern claims, under the title of Charismatic Confusion.

Tertullian became a Montanist and his teaching changed. Originally, he said that 2nd marriage was wrong but later that all marriage was wrong as it consisted of the same act as adultery.

5. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Montanists were called The Phrygian Heresy, also the Cataphygian Heresy. What does "Cata" as a prefix mean.

6. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the Baptist is correct.

The Anabaptists, (most of them) taught that they should not take up the sword as the sword is given to the magistrate who wields it as God wills. (Quoted from memory a long time ago)

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Down (with) or opposed to.

8. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks