1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How would you reach these people?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, Jeremiah was not an open air preacher. He was a prophet and he was called to bear witness against Jerusalem. The point is not Jeremiah's faithfulness (although he was faithful) but Judah's unfaithfulness and rebellion. You are taking Jeremiah as out of context as you would should you decide your relationship with your wife serves as a witness along the lines of Hosea. And this is one of the biggest problems I have with Ray Comfort (and WOTM as you've presented it here). We cannot ignore context for support of our actions.

Second, NOWHERE in Scripture do we find faithful Christians except that they are discipled and being discipling others. The Bible assumes that those who are saved are added to the church. I'd urge caution in trying to "lone wolf" evangelism. It is not biblical. Your personal ministry has to be an extension of your church. If they do not want to do it your way, then perhaps you should try their way (and see what you can bring to the table).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, if you are going to use Mark 16:15 as your basis for ministry, you should notice that the command is simply to preach, but instead, to preach the gospel - which is a call to discipleship.

There is no "gift of discipleship." We are all called to make disciples (see Matthew 28:18-20). Evangelism is merely the first part of discipleship.

• Like Like x 1
  3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually the quote was from a John MacArthur book and not Ray Comfort.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Friendship evangelism? VBS? Not my gifts. The Bible has far more support for contact evangelism. Do not believe me? Read the book evangelism in the NT by Jon Speed.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there's the "read this book" defense again.

John, you'd be taken a LOT more seriously, and given a LOT less grief, if you'd use scripture and defend your positions/views, instead of not defending them and resorting to "read so-and-so's book."

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A short kibbitz: there are too many money changers in the temple.

Sign up for the next trip to distribute Bibles to the head hunters in Borneo.

Dumb question: Is your neighbor saved?

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

• Like Like x 1
  7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are afraid and can't defend against the case from scripture the author uses for contact evangelism?

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't read the quote, although I have heard both say something similar.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if what you say is true there are examples from church history that makes the point against pragmastism.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Friendship evangelism is not a gift, it is a command. We are to love as Christ loves us.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think pragmatism here means what you think it means. God's Word goes out, but it will never return void.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely not. Can you provide the case the author uses, and defend it -- from scripture, not from his book?

13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you need to win approval for what you do? If you are convinced God is leading you to do this, then just do it and stop arguing with spectators about it. I kind of wonder if you like "contact" evangelism or if you really just like "conflict."

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No the problem is the author is not here posting on this site, you are and if all you can do is parrot what other authors have said without making a solid case based on your own study and your own words then it is hard to take you seriously. In seminary the point of reading other authors is not to quote them all the time but to help you make an informed case for the positions you hold to.

The way you use books and authors is an informal fallacy known as "an appeal to authority". Just because someone writes a book or is deemed an authority is not a proper foundation for making the case about whether something is true or not. doing that is known as a logical fallacy.

You should quote authors when they hold to and support your argument and you are using their words directly because you believe they have said it in a way that makes it clear where you might struggle to do so on your own. So then you quote them and give them proper credit.

You wield authors and books like a pistol and then declare debate over. You struggle to know how to use sources properly or even debate properly.

Stand your ground based on your research and understanding, not on personal preference. Do not use authors as authorities to win an debate. Do the work yourself.

As of right now it appears you just personally like confrontational evangelism and you are looking to justify it. It doesn't appear that you are authentically sure about yourself or your position.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The book is filled with scripture! Yes but this would take some time.

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can wait. Or we can take it a piece at a time, which would be better. Maybe we can both learn something in the process. But I'd like you to start by declaring YOUR position regarding "contact evangelism," and then defending it.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay but I need some time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you will find it worth the time. We have to remember that many books filled with Scripture are also filled with error (I can offer, for example, Mormon literature replete with Bible passages). Also, ideas sometimes translate poorly between people so it is important to express your beliefs as influenced by those authors as well (this way, not only can others see your sources but they can also evaluate your interpretation of those sources). We've run into several instances where people truly believe and argue that a person's words mean one thing, but when examined in context they don't. I say this to let you know that I appreciate your efforts in providing sources for ideas. That said, in the argument itself it is good to appropriate those ideas rather than simply offer them as belonging to another.

19. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evan, serious question. While street preaching, when someone challenges you with a question for which you do not immediately know the answer, what do you refer to?

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always preach from the Bible when I open air!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.