1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How would you respond to the following atheist objection.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by quantumfaith, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Romans7man

Romans7man New Member

You may be right, I don't know "for 100% sure". But we do know we can judge a person by the fruits they bare. They were not led by the Spirit, but by the flesh. They lived for everything God was against. They mocked God and religion. And the list goes on and on. So I can say with a good bit of certainty they are in hell.
    Look When I was 10 I saw my dad killed, I have buried many loved ones and many not so loved ones, I have buried a son at the young age of 19 and my mother died during his funeral so we were right back at the same grave we just left three days earlier, so I live in reality and do not try to paint some picture that we will all live happily ever after in heaven.
    Were they all saved, No. Were they all lost, No. Some I will see again, but not near as many as I wish I could see. It is because of this reality we are to be living what we preach and learn how to answer the critics, so hopefully they will not go to hell. As the old saying goes, We may be the only Bible they ever read.

Dell

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I wouldn't worry about it. There are few genuine atheists around anymore and the grace of God would turn their lives around, not some incessant debate session.

3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been taught that once we see Jesus we will fully and completely understand why loved ones are not with us. At this point, we will not fret over them.

With regards to the OP, I don't know if I've ever run up against a true blue atheist but rather, just those who claim not to believe in God at all..., end of subject. Many atheists yearn to "convince" and quite vocal about it all where one who simply does not believe says so and walks away. Like my b-i-l.

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:) Thank You NC

5. quantumfaith

Incessant debate, isnt that what we laboriously spend time around here in BB land for as well. I work in academia, in the south, so most if not all have some exposure to the gospel and its message. But I do notice a growing "darkness" among highly educated young people who for whatever reason have decided on no need for God and a proportion of those then peruse and pursue agnosticism and atheism. I do not wish to cast pearls before the swine, but I also do not want to give up on folks, hoping to have an intellectual, heartfelt and cogent defense of why I fall into the ranks of the "believers".

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question is flawed in its construction because it assumes things which are not true.

We are not sent to hell because we have sinned.

A sinful life is simply the natural outworking of the inner nature of a person who is in rebellion against God. Those who end their rebellion against God, do not have their sins (that is, their rebellious life) counted against them because of what Jesus did through His death, burial and resurrection.

Those who are in hell are there because they have willingly chosen to isolate themselves from God. They loved darkness rather than the light, and their actions (sins) demonstrate their rebellious character. God gives them the choice to have it their way for all eternity.

7. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Well...

God does NOT confine anyone to go to an eternal hell, its because they have wil lfully chosen to stay in their darkness and sins, as per Apostle John, the light came unto them, and they preferred darkness to light!

Also, God is perfect,so ANY sin would have to be dealth with before a Holy God, and thankfully he deals with, as how would there be justice if Hitler did not suufer for his crimes in judgement, but just died and either that was that, or else got burned up?

I would appeal towards moral judgement and a moral law, as if god did not punish any sins, why can we expect any justice period?

8. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

I prefer to challenge atheists by questioning the validity of their own beliefs based upon the scientific evidence. Evolutionary theory gives the atheist something to believe in; it enables them to not think about any other ideas for the origination of life. I attempt to place doubt concerning this theory in their minds by demonstrating the evolutionary process to be a deeply flawed & even failed theory through purely scientific means. By this approach, I have disarmed them of their greatest weapon; the ability to disregard my viewpoint based upon what is perceived as a solely religious foundation.
    Once their beliefs fail the test of the scientific method, then they are more open to the idea of a transcendent intelligent designer of the universe. Quoting Scripture at them will only widen the chasm between them & Christianity; unless they already have a working knowledge of Scripture. Science-minded atheists cannot be approached from a blind-faith type of perspective. As Paul said, we must be all things to all people. this means being analytically scientific to atheists. Since true science always points to the Creator of the laws of the physical universe, this is an excellent method of reaching those who cannot be reached via religious zealotry.

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is no debate. We speak the truth in love. The scriptures are to be faithfully set forth.
    God as creator owns the rights to all men. He determines all reality as he alone is the creator.
    Any sin is an offence to a Holy God and must be punished.

Men having died in Adam rebel against God and His word....even suppressing the truth of God ,in nature,conscience, and written form.
    This rebellion and alienation is highlighted by the fact that when God himself came to earth,men rejected Him,except for those whom God had already purposed to save.
    The love of God is only in the crosswork of Jesus. To remain apart from Him is to remain in the realm of death,apart from God's love.
    God has an eternal plan.The plan is that a multitude of sinners will be saved by the God who gave the gospel. God the Father has given to the Son a multitude of sinners. Jesus comes to earth to accomplish their redemption.
    They are being saved as we speak.
    All the Father has given to the Son will be saved. Have you repented of sin,and come to Jesus yet?Those given by the Father will come having their sins washed away and covered by the blood.
    The scriptures are clear that not all men will come. It is appointed unto man once to die,and then the judgement.
    All souls are eternal. No sin can enter heaven. Hell or second death is the eternal abode of the unbelieving wicked.

There is not a second chance. The word of God alone can change the dead atheists heart,as the Spirit gives a new heart and regenerates the atheist.
    The atheist will not be debated into heaven, or philosophy will not work either.....they can remove some obstacles, but only the Spirit can give life for above.
    The duration of the punishment is not really the issue...the quality of that persons eternal existence is what is at stake...eternally with God, or eternal torment apart from God.

10. Romans7man

Romans7man New Member

Thanks, well received.
    Very true. It was all about him and he did not mind saying so.

11. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

How would you respond to the following atheist objection.

Came across the following objection to theism in general and Christianity in particular.

How can God confine someone to an infinite hell for a finite amount of sin?

I would be interested in how you might "debate" this issue with such a skeptic.

I don't believe I would start out with a debate. The perspective of the unbeliever is that anything we say is foolishness. It's like trying to convince someone that Santa is alive and well because we read it in a book, but show no proof.

The unbeliever needs to be convinced that the believer has some authority to speak, and what he says is truth. We can repeat scripture over and over but without power, it is like a clanging bell to the listener.

The gospel is preached with demonstration of the Spirit. We do not come with word only, but with power.

I would ask God for a word of knowledge about this person. Something that as a stranger I could not possibly know about them. Once God gives me this knowledge, I would share it with them, and gain their full attention.

Once I have thier ears, I would tell them the gospel of Jesus Christ. I doubt I would even tell them my name, the only name they need is Jesus. The seed is planted, let God give the increase.

12. quantumfaith

Thank you plain, I am not really comfortable with the "word of knowledge" thing. I do feel God gifts us to be perceptible concerning others, I am not so sure on this "special knowledge" thingy.

13. plain_n_simple

It is a prophetic knowledge to convince the unbeliever and it edifies, but comes by grace from God only to those that believe. If you seek the gifts, you will receive them, for the glory of God. Otherwise you can quote scripture all day and put the listener to sleep.

14. quantumfaith

Very much in agreement with you on the quoting scripture thingy for the skeptic, though I think it is important to do so, but also think one should "reason" with them much like Paul demonstrated.

Blessings.

15. plain_n_simple

Paul always had the demonstration of power with the word. I if there is no Holy Spirit confirming the word, it is of no power and will do very little for the Kingdom. Demonstration is the key word.

16. JesusFan

the Bible NEVER commands one to do as you suggested!

We ARE commanded to preach unto those not saved jesus, Him crucufied, Gosopel message ONLY is fully sufficient to save those whom God has elected to receive eternal life in Christ!

#36 JesusFan, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
  17. JesusFan

Spiritual Gifts are given by the HS as he wills, not based my choosing of them!

Given for the benfit of the local body, to edify/encourage/exhort...

To those not saved, we preach the Gospel!

18. plain_n_simple

I understand you. The gospel is preached always with power and demonstration. It is for believers only. If you have not experienced the power, don't be mad at those who have. Amen

19. JesusFan

Charasmatic, as he would be referencing the HS given word to us directly by the HS, as Him giving us "hidden knowledge" of the person!

Bible states that the Gifts are to operate in local body, for the saints, to the unsaved commanded to preach Christ and Him crucified/resurrected!

20. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I could not more disagree! The gospel is the power unto salvation, and its very design -- by Christ -- is that it be preached to the lost.

If one is already a believer, the gospel is already rooted in his or her life. We then preach all the Scriptures to make disciples, teaching them as Christ ordained.

In your way of seeing things, we should never preach to the lost...

GOD FORBID! :praying: