1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hurricane Sandy: Check in

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Zaac, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LILCO (LI Light) worst utility in the country. Thats why Ann is so well prepared. Ive been stuck in LI during another Northeaster & it does mess things up. By now the NYC Subways will be flooded & probably the tunnels. Blumberg announced all tunnels closed in NYC by 2PM. A stupid place to put a stock exchange. This will mess things up big time.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL.... yup, thats Long Guyland!

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your a cruel man! But I did make some potato salad. I can live on that. :thumbs: :godisgood:

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Potato salad? No refrigeration? Only for a few hours.;)

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We're doing OK so far. 34,000 without power and it's going to get much worse. We had some power glitches but we've been OK for about an hour now. We even made cookies! :)

LIPA (used to be LILCO) has gotten a lot better but this is a big storm with VERY high winds and with most of our power lines above ground, many will go. We've got old trees and they've done a great job of trimming them but you can only trim so much.

I'll keep you posted as long as I can. :)

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yea, that reminds me to get some good Scotch....that never goes bad & warms me & puts me in a good mood. :cool: Everything going to be alllll Rrrrright! :thumbs:

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Here in northwest Connecticut we are getting steady 25-30 MPH winds with occasional higher gusts, with a fairly steady rain. They let us out of work at 2 PM, lots of leaves and small limbs on the road, saw one tree down.

We are not in danger of flooding where I live, the biggest danger is downed trees and power lines. We are supposed to get our highest winds later on this evening tapering off after midnight.

There are some power outages down on the coast and they are expecting much flooding.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea I saw your FB posts

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - Liquor stores were packed yesterday!! No, I didn't buy anything because I only use it for cooking and we have enough if we need it although I don't plan on making anything with wine for the next few days.

So here is a video for you. It's the First Response Team of America, a non-profit organization that is amazing (seriously) and is run by a man who I used to babysit for and who grew up in our youth group. He's driving out to Eaton's Neck across Asharoken (a VERY thin strip of land with one road to access Eaton's Neck) which always washes out. The road is now closed but they can get across because their big equipment.

http://twitter.yfrog.com/0ju01dsuxmwgwoncqlgafgsuz

Here is a link to Google maps so you can see what it looks like - NOT a good place in a storm like this. They were traveling from the right to the left and were right before where Asharoken Avenue turns to the left and becomes Asharoken Road: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Asha...Asharoken+Ave,+Northport,+New+York+11768&z=14

10. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Uh...you might want to hang on to that for when the Four Horsemen show up. They're going to be plenty grumpy when they find out Starbucks is closed, and it might go better for everyone if they were cheered up.:laugh:

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wine!?! Never touch the stuff. LOL!!!

12. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Thanks for keeping us updated for as long as you can.

You're not alone in being a preparer. Wish more people would learn from the past. I remember Hazel from 1954. Then, there was Fran, Floyd, and a massive ice storm in NC that took out the power for some for a couple of weeks.

Did they learn? No. I have family who think it won't happen again.

Being prepared for our Saviour's return, doesn't mean we won't face trials and tribulations in our everyday lives. IMO we are to prepare in times of feast for times of famine.

Proverbs 20: KJB
    4 The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a bunch of knuckleheads walking around in this junk. And some folks riding it out in their places of business.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Ann,
    Praying for you, your family, and all in the path. Be safe.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My girls work in a grocery store and they had the DUMBEST customers:

* "I'm picking up TV dinners because my stove won't work if I lose power."

* A lady bought $600 worth of groceries - half of it freezer and refrigerator food.

* TON of people picking up microwave popcorn.

* The store is still open right now because there are still customers. Even if they lose power, they will still be open. But not with my girls because we won't let them leave. We're the cowards who listen to the authorities when they say "Stay home".

16. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Fox News just said this this the strongest storm in recorded history to hit the US northeast - based on barametric (sp) pressure.

Please Lord, be with all these people. Especially those who can't help themselves and must depend on others. In your Son's precious name, I pray. Amen

17. billwald

billwald New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.