I am a KJVOs

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, however I have found places in the ESV where they did not translate formally.
    See 1 Tim 4:7 for an example.

2. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see your point in that verse, and agree. I would suggest that the individual translator who rendered it that way is to blame rather than the "essentially literal" translation philosophy they used. Have you read their book, Translating Truth? It's a good read for a Bible translator, even if we disagree with the ESV source texts.

3. Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t disagree with their philosophy, I have skimmed one of Leland Ryken’s books on bible translation, it seemed to be good. But like you pointed out, it does not seem like the ESV Translators followed their own philosophy and I am disappointed by that. The Modern English Version has some of the same type of problems.

4. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was the Latin Vulgate also word of God, Geneva?

5. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even the Kjv translators recognized Tyndale and Geneva Bibles as being the word of God in English!

6. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think the originals had thees and thous in them though!

7. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that the KJVO look upon the Nkjv as being another "satanic" version!

8. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you see those 3 versions you mentioned,ones using critical texts, as being solid translations?

9. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, they had the Greek singular and plural pronouns, which modern English does not have.

10. Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Greek and Hebrew definately have a distinction for 2nd person singular vs plural.

11. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think in general the ESV translators did follow their philosophy, but since it was a large effort with many translators, it would have been very difficult to insure that every translator in every passage stayed true. Believe me, when you come to a difficult passage, it's easy to try and simplify it--something I oppose.

I lead a relatively small team, but to keep in my head all of the renderings and how we did certain words is very difficult. I recently discovered that we had several slightly different ways to say "son of God," and two different ways to say "John the Baptist." :confused:

What I've wondered, though, is why the ESV folk decided we needed another modern English translation when there are still 1000s of languages with no portion of the Bible. And I'm positive you'll agree with me on that one! :)

12. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pretty solid, but not needed and from the wrong source texts. :Biggrin

13. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably die to them seeing how successful business wise the Niv has shown to be for Zondervan and whoever owns them now!

14. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that is fine, as I still see the Kjv/Nkjv as being good translations, just from "inferior sources"

15. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you see the TR behind the Kjv as being a perfect Greek text?

16. Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the very least I see the TR as far superior to the critical text. Sorry but I dont trust people like Bruce Metzger, Kurt and Barbara Aland, or Eberhard Nestle to decide what the accurate and best readings are of the New Testament considering that they are heretics and apostates. For example Metzger questions that Peter even wrote the epistles that bear his Name

“KURT ALAND denied the verbal inspiration of the Bible and wanted to see all denominations united into one “body” by the acceptance of a new ecumenical canon of Scripture which would take into account the Catholic apocryphal books (The Problem of the New Testament Canon, pp. 6,7,30-33). “

Kurt Aland also doubted the canonicity of several New Testament Books.

Not the kind of guy I want editing the Greek text behind my bible translation.

See page 5 and following of this link http://www.bibelgriechisch.info/Aland.pdf
    Eberhard Nestle (1851-1913)

“Nestle, of the popular Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament (nearly 30 different editions now), rejected the infallibility of the Bible, and believed it was no more than a normal piece of literature. He claimed that authors of the New Testament never expected their writings to be read by others let alone be taken as the authoritative word of God.”

Kurt and Barbara Aland

“Partner with Eberhard Nestle (above), he and his wife are also contributors the UBS. Aland does not believe in verbal inspiration of the Bible, and that the Old Testament and the gospels are full of myths that were not inspired by God but merely a naturalistic process. Kurt Aland does not believe that the canon of Scripture is complete or settled.”

The Heretics Behind Modern Bible Versions Supported By James White

The people behind modern textual criticism are largely apostate heretics and the evangelicals involved are piggy backing off of unbelieving scholarship.

Textual Criticism Drawn From the Wells of Infidelity

The NASB you use is translated from the Nestle Aland text.

17. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So all of the translation team members on the nas/Esv/Niv were those holding to apostate doctrines?

18. Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You obviously do not understand the point I am making.
    The text underlying those translation has been produced by apostate heretics..I am not necessarily talking about the Translators, (though I’m sure the NIV had some on their translation team)

The point is, you are using a bible that has been translated from a Greek text that has been edited and changed by blatant apostate heretics and you think that text is somehow superior to the texts traditionally used by bible believers.

19. rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know Will loves to ride that hobby horse, but it's not accurate. He believes that every translational choice reflects a different underlying text, but it doesn't.

20. Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a matter of fact for sure that Old Testament does not follow the Masoretic text, these difference I have seen in my own past studies.