1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I am neither C vs A

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Salty, Oct 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You simply refuse to accept what the context says. We have been over this a number of times but to no avail you still cling to your errant view.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok - apparently both of you have determined that you disagree with each other -
    lets move on

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It actually says He chose us to be holy and blameless before Him.

Who is “us”? It’s us believers. God chose all who believe to be holy and blameless before. Don’t just quote part of the sentence.

(I tried to include the verse from #17; it didn’t copy in the quote).

4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    *Ephesians 1:1-23*
    Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints who are in Ephesus, and are faithful in Christ Jesus: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth. In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory. For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.

Context proves me correct.

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that choice is not the individual's election.

#25 37818, Oct 29, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ephesians 1:3-4.
    God's single choice of all of "us" before the foundation of the world is not the same thing as in time becoming elect.

7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not get it.

That single choice God made for all of "us" is not any individuals election.

8. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin who are the "us" of vs 3? Look back a bit and you will see that they are "the saints who are in Ephesus and are faithful in Christ Jesus:" Those that believe in Christ Jesus are the ones the are "in Him". Does God know all that will trust in His son, of course He do. He's omniscient. Does His knowing cause them to believe NO. That is the divide between you and I. You need God to determine all things I do not. God in His sovereignty has allowed for man to have a real free will which you do not agree with.

This will continue to be a disagreement between us.

9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    The us are the chosen ones from before the foundation of the world who believe.
    The specific "us" that Paul wrote to in Ephesus is the chosen ones who had believed. The broader "us" is all the elect, chosen to believe by God, the ones who receive the inheritance because their names are written into the Will (Covenant) God created
    *Hebrews 9:15-17*
    Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant. For where a will is involved, the death of the one who made it must be established. For a will takes effect only at death, since it is not in force as long as the one who made it is alive.

These are elementary teachings from God's Word that infants in Christ should understand, yet you still don't grasp these truths.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your statement above says it all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin it is just your theology that has people elect before the foundation of the world, not the bible. I have dealt with this before but you still hold to that idea. You seem to be trusting in calvin rather than the bible.

12. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have said many times, you require God to determine all things because of your theological view the bible does not show God as being deterministic as you view Him and thus I do not hold that view.

You may not agree with what I say but that is a problem for you to deal with.

13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I provided scripture after scripture so it's clear my theology is fully based in God's word, not in any man-made theory, such as "free-will" which is never taught in the Bible.

14. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    As have said many times what you consider proof of your view does not hold water. But as we are not going to come to a common ground on this then it is best that we just agree to disagree.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently no one took my hint

This thread is closed

• Winner Winner x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.