1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I consider myself Philadelphian

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, Jan 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; - Revelation 1:1

“things which must shortly come to pass,” or, in other words, ages.

2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not in other words "ages." That is you forcing your pretext upon the prooftext, out of context.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    John Smyth is believed to have the first church labeled "Baptist" in Amsterdam in 1609. Which would have fell under Sardisean times. Which was 1500 years after the Apostolic time. The church existed in different spirit between those years. Especially as there was a spirit of Jezebel, which was to control and to dominate.

#63 rockytopva, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  4. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are literally making it up through your subject opinion. There is zero evidence for your theory within the book of Revelation or within the entire Bible for that matter.

5. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. - 1 Corinthians 2:13

There are spiritual things to be compared with in the history of the church, which I believe Revelation covers well. If I could step back to the 1970s I would....

1. Enjoy the GARBC youth retreats
    2. Partake in the Footwashing-Communion services of the Freewill Baptist church
    3. Catch the Pentecostal Holiness revivals
    4. Tune into the Pentecostal radio services at night

And enjoy such services knowing they would soon come to an end. And as Christ walked among the congregations (“These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;” - Revelation 2:1) so I would have enjoyed the services of the time.

6. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    rocky, that verse has nothing to do with your "ages" theory.
    Look at the context around that verse and see what it actually means.

7. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I tried. As a Sardis is a hardened stone so it tends to be unchangeable. With that said, I rest my case.

8. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you rest your case on that statement, you have lost your case.
    I wish you well.

9. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God’s word to the Calvinist...

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. - Revelation 3:5

How’s that for in context?

10. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And while I am in context....

God’s word to the Orthodox was against the barbarian....

So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate.- Revelation 2:15

God's word to the Catholic was that there was too much control and domination in the form of the spirit of Jezebel, which was to control and to dominate...

Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols..- Revelation 2:20

God's word to the Methodist was that they were in and out of quality Christian conference (which I miss dearly)...

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. - Revelation 3:12

God's word for today is that if we forsake him he will forsake us! I believe this corona virus thing is a heavenly rebuke and the thing for us to do is to repent!

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. - Revelation 3:19

11. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Peter opens his second epistle by saying...

Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. - 2 Peter 1:4

And speaks of purity in his first...

Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: - 1 Peter 1:22

I believe Revelation was written to a church that would often times corrupt itself and Christ had to deal with what which would befall us in time. I believe he chose John as it was his will to close the writing of scripture that would end with the death of that John the Apostle. The messages to the churches deal with the virtues and corruption that would befall the church in time. I have experienced wonderfully purifying times in both the Baptist and Pentecostal Holiness church growing up and miss those times dearly, which is why I write so passionately about them/

12. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has nothing to do with your ages theory. Yet, I add this to your verse:

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me,is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.
    ~ John 10:27-29

13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Start at 1 Peter 1:1

1 Peter 1:1-7,18-25
    Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who are elect exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood: May grace and peace be multiplied to you. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for the sake of you who through him are believers in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God. Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God; for “All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the word of the Lord remains forever.” And this word is the good news that was preached to you.

Scripture speaks a better word than you speak.

14. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Church age theory... You realize that the Foxes book of martyrs has the Roman persecutions as ten

Smyrna - The Persecuted church - The Second Church - The Apostle Paul

Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. - Revelation 2:10

And from the Foxes Book of Martyrs...

Ye Shall Have Tribulation Ten Days…
    Time Persecutor Description
    67 AD Nero The Smyrna Church Age begins with Nero setting fire to Rome, and then blaming the Christians. Paul was beheaded with this persecution.
    81 AD Domitian Declaration that no Christian should be exempt from punishment, Paul’s Timothy died in 97 AD.
    108 AD Trajan and Adrian Severe persecution against Christians from 108 to 138 AD during the time of the Bishop Ignatius
    162 AD Marcos Aurelius Marcos Aurelius, commendable in study of philosophy, sharp and fierce towards Christians.
    192 AD Severus This persecution was carried out by the will and prejudice of the people and extended into Africa.
    235 AD Maximus Numberless Christians were slain without trial and burned indiscriminately in heaps
    249 AD Decius Began because of the amazing increase in Christianity, and with the heathen temples forsaken.
    257 AD Valerian The martyrs that fell during this persecution were innumerable, their tortures and deaths painful.
    274 AD Aurelian A brief persecution that ended with the emperor’s assassination.
    303 AD Diocletian The last persecution ended with Constantine’s triumph against Rome in 313 AD

You have read church history along with your bible haven't you?

15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remind me again why I should care about an uninspired book rather than rest in the promises of God in his holy word.
    I suggest you get "Christianity Through the Centuries" by Cairns if you want to study Church History. It's a fairly easy read. I like reading actual primary source documents, however, God's word always stands over the other documents and is the word that determines truth.

16. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Scripture does NOT say "ages" in any valid Bible version !

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has PLENTY to do with it if one doesn't believe ancient or archaic practices are of any use.

18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correction, if one doesn't believe God spoke these words through James.
    I believe God moved James to tell sick Christians to have elders place oil on the sick and pray over them. I don't read God saying this is a temporary, cultural thing.
    You can blow off the areas in the Bible you think are worthless. I choose not to follow that thinking.

19. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: - Revelation 1

Things which must shortly come to pass - Or in ages.

20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So make sure to pack plentya Valvoline on your next hospital visit. See how many are healed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.