1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "I don't follow Calvin"

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Pastor_Bob, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ALL are at fault. ALL have sinned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Friend, this is not something that all Baptists would hold to uncategorically. In fact, outside of the Bible itself, there is not one manmade writing that any of us would hold to 100%. This confession is Reformed in its theology, which is exactly what I asked for. Obviously, there is much contained therein with which I would strongly disagree.

3. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although Baptists, in the grand scheme of history, have traditionally been Calvinistic in their theology.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

God created us, we sinned and He gave a offer of repentance. We are all guilty because we sinned.

HE DID NOT MAKE US JUST TO SEND US TO HELL.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What difference does it make what man believes?

Proverbs 16:4 The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    wrong,

I think they are stronger Calvinist in your area.

Are you in West Virginia? My Baptist Pastor is from there, actually preached back in Ripley 2 weeks ago. They are not Calvinistic. It surprised me you went to Liberty which is not Calvinistic.

Have you ever seen this type of History?

[​IMG]

7. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Pastor_Bob , please take a look at this link to the 1689 LBC: 1689 LBC with Preface. Please note the preface to the confession and the heart with which these men desired to present their conclusions. This one part stands out, "There is one thing more which we sincerely profess and earnestly desire credence in - viz., that contention is most remote from our design in all that we have done in this matter; and we hope that the liberty of an ingenuous unfolding our principles and opening our hearts unto our brethren, with the Scripture grounds of our faith and practice will by none of them be either denied to us, or taken ill from us. Our whole design is accomplished if we may have attained that justice as to be measured in our principles and practice, and the judgment of both by others, according to what we have now published, which the Lord (whose eyes are as a flame of fire) knoweth to be the doctrine which with our hearts we most firmly believe and sincerely endeavor to conform our lives to. And O that, other contentions being laid asleep, the only care and contention of all upon whom the name of our blessed Redeemer is called might for the future be to walk humbly with their God in the exercise of all love and meekness toward each other, to perfect holiness in the fear of the Lord, each one endeavoring to have his conversation such as becometh the gospel; and also, suitable to his place and capacity, vigorously to promote in others the practice of true religion and undefiled in the sight of God our Father!" The framers of the 1689 LBC did not want contention. They did not shy away from stating the truth as they saw it but did so without malice or ill intent. That is a good lesson for all of us, no matter which side of the debate we are on.

8. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    It makes a lot of difference to believe and act on truth or falsehood

Do you believe on a Walk /Don't Walk sign at an intersection? If you don't believe , you might get run over

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The difference is for heaven or hell. Only the righteous believe in Christ as there Savior.
    MB

10. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree, but on this site, Non Calvinists have been ridiculed by one and many join in to insulted posters, without recourse from the moderators or even joined by moderators to insult further . Even to the point of being bullied. demanding apologies for showing errors in Calvinism. Those who do not care to oppose the posts do not join in, bullied into silence. Thread dies

The 1689 confession was among like believing Baptists. Did it include the various reformers? If so, there would not be agreement or this statement.

#30 loDebar, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you are talking apples and airplanes.

The Don't walk sign might be defective.

NOT the scripture.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not exactly, heaven or hell is NOT the difference but the consequence of belief or rejection of Christ as Savior.

13. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually This is what you are doing here your not sure so you offer up a bunch of different titles as possibilities. Yet I'm not a follower of men. I follow Christ and His doctrines. I'm a Baptist and Calvinist did not start the Baptist church. They came in the back door..
    MB

14. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    the point is we only benefit when we follow truth, we do not when we follow falsehood, no matter what we might believe

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm safe, I believe the word of God.

16. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm reminded of history here. The whole reason people came to this country is because of the lack of freedom to worship as they pleased.
    MB

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LBCF!
    The scriptures themselves, with Confession of the 1689 LBCF...

18. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    We know, or rather we can tell

#39 loDebar, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  19. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, you're the one who said the choice was based on shame. Defend it or retract it, or don't.