1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Felt I Should Drop in and Explain Why I Left

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Steven Yeadon, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"I do want to mention that I have given up my extreme judgmental-ism of those in the Church. I am trying to stop any desire to be divisive or schismatic. I even admit Roman Catholics, Anglicans, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox are in fact Christians. I may disagree with a ton of their theology, but I see the presence of their salvation."

Its a good move to not rely on the spirit of the accuser.

Sometimes God gives certain Souls Supreme Special Gifts, Powers, even Omnipotent, and sometimes God does the opposite and only gives himself to where a man must live with incredible burdens that no one else is facing.

I think your soul is a lot stronger then you think, Your tongues,prophecy, magic, miracles, ect. is all junk compared to your greater gift, that fact that you know you are 2 cans short of a 6-pack. It means you already got a lot on your plate.

I don't think anyone here could handle it. You switch channels every other day. I wonder what the people around you would say about you, I hope its positive.

I hope other people treat you good. By good company not constantly awkward or leaving you deprived of attention. I hope you know how to laugh at yourself and not get depressed.

"The main thing that convinced me to leave for the house of prayers was actually getting powerful spiritual gifts. I now speak in tongues, interpret tongues, perform miracles, have words of wisdom, prophetically intercede, prophetically sing, have prophetic dreams, have visions, have prophetic impressions, hear an audible prophetic voice, get the words of the Holy Spirit put into my mouth sometimes, and prophetically write theology, bible teachings, and foreign policy. All by His grace. I kid you not, I now do all of that in the last few months. "

1 Corinthians 13

1If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

Not to rain on the parade, just tiny reminder we all should expect to hear.

Just don't fall on the dark side Padawan. Be sincere with yourself as to what are your motives.

Your LIFE like a movie has more than an audience of ONE. And God already saw the whole thing twice last week.

The miracles are not your gifts rather you are a gift to the world and God so its important when your priorities is kindness and love, you don't need the tools of accusation, violence, hatred, fear.

A powerless person who cares about everyone is better then absolute power who cares for no one.

We don't need power or knowledge to protect us from God, We need God to protect us from power and knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real Holy Spirit would NOT use the "Charasmatic Chaos" to state that we now must see all churches as teaching the right salvation message, as the Rcc/Sda are for example 2 that really distort and misteach the Message of the Gospel of Christ!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He needs the Word of God, not another group of men.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will agree with John of Japan in the counsel he has given you, and I would like to hear your answer for what languages you now speak. You can look in Acts 2 and see that when the gift was employed, it involved known languages. That is the true gift of tongues.

Secondly, I hope how people are treated on this forum isn't the reason you have turned to a group like this. That is just how it is on most forums (in fact every forum I have ever been to, and I have been to a lot of them).

Third, one member points a very important aspect of what we see in Charismatic movements, which is a focus on self. You pretty much nailed that in talking about yourself in your posts, what you are doing, rather than what Christ has done. I know the thread is specific to yourself, and what is happening in your life, but, only one of the things you say you are doing now has a basis in the Bible, and it remains to see if it is actually the gift of tongues, or the counterfeit of Charismatics. So I will ask you, how did you start "speaking in tongues," and please be honest. Did someone "teach you?"

Personally, I have heard numerous accounts from Missionaries that have recounted instances where men heard and understand them though they did not know their languages, and think it still happens on occasion. Just as I believe men pray for people and they are healed despite the odds, I have seen that personally myself. But I do not see it as the consistent usage of the gifts we see in the early Church.

If there is ever anything I can help you with let me know.

God bless.

#44 Darrell C, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  5. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have had the ability to speak in tongues for years. It began in early 2013 when I received my baptism of the Holy Spirit alone in my apartment. It was an amazing experience. There was no coaching or even build up.

I suffered severe schizophrenia from mid 2013-2016, due to my psychiatrist testing me without medication due to perceived side effects of my neuroleptics. It took three years to stabilize and it only happened when I came to Jesus on blind faith instead of the liberal Christianity I had believed for 12 years. However, I never lost the ability to speak or sing in tongues.

I turned on my gift and later became a classical cessationist due to this message board, but I was convicted of believing the gift of tongues I was given was Satanic in origin and started using it again a few months ago.

Really, I had the wake up call of realizing that I was possibly blaspheming the Holy Spirit. That is if the gifts I received at my baptism of the Holy Spirit in 2013 were really of the Holy Spirit. I receive genuine spiritual power, and it is easy to go to a Charismatic church and use my gifts to show this. It's just is this power of Satan or the Holy Spirit? I go with the Holy Spirit now, whereas before I thought it was Satan. The argument that gets me is from scripture, Satan loves dividing his kingdom against itself if these gifts come from him, they positively impact my life and the lives of other Christians, which means they don't come from Satan.

The reason this sounds so "I" and "my" is that the fruit of the gifts is in the content generated for the people communicated to. Tongues is so personal because it is not normally edifying on its own. I'm not using my revelatory gifts to edify you, comfort you, or encourage you; but instead explaining that I have them. At a Charismatic church that knows what they are doing, it is about Jesus and the Father through the exercise of the gifts to God's glory, His fame. That's because people have the trust to receive and test what is given. Now of course, we can be greedy for more experiences of the Holy Spirit, but really is that bad? Its not like panting for more of God's presence is a sin, so I will abide this "selfishness." Just as long as there is self-control and not a blind acceptance of what is given but serious testing of it, both can be ignored, which is a problem to be addressed.

6. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for nice advice.

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well certainly we can welcome the change that no admits that "t Roman Catholics, Anglicans, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox are in fact Christians."

Nice going on that one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I started out Baptist and my membership is now Pentecostal Holiness (PH). The PH have altar services where saints and sinners meet for prayer. I have since learned that our services were carried out in same Methods as the Methodist 100 years before us. The mourners bench is the best place to pick up on the things of God... Calling out the needs and praying in the name of Jesus.
    [​IMG]

I like the Baptist church too and support some of their ministries. But I love the sense of picking up renewed Holy Spirit around an altar of prayer.

9. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does this mean, and what is the biblical backing for it, if any? Thanks.

10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What happened to the "spirit" that it needed renewing?

11. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The image reminds me of my childhood in the Roman Catholic Church. Both groups have little in common, or so it would initial seem, but both groups don't seem to recognize that Christ grants pardons to sinners freely and without cost. There is no need to beg and plead for the gift of God in Christ. He doesn't need His arm twisted. We may approach the throne boldly. We may, as a young child does, jump into the lap of our Father and expect to be loved — in Christ.

This is the scandal of the gospel. This is what repels people. This is the stumbling block we must avoid if we are to experience life in Christ. We must come with emtpy hand. We must repent of our repentance. We must, as the song says:

Lay your deadly “doing” down—
    Down at Jesus’ feet;
    Stand in Him, in Him alone,
    Gloriously complete.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is what gives us the, "Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:" - 1 Peter 1:8

13. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I only recently started attending a Southern Baptist Church. Before that I attended a Pentecostal Church for over a decade. So putting on my Pentecostal Hat for a moment, I offer the following in response to your first post:

1 Corinthians 12:1-31 NASB

1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware. 2 You know that when you were pagans, you were led astray to the mute idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is accursed”; and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.
    4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. 6 There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. 7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.
    12 For even as the body is one and yet has many members, and all the members of the body, though they are many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.
    14 For the body is not one member, but many. 15 If the foot says, “Because I am not a hand, I am not a part of the body,” it is not for this reason [fn]any the less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear says, “Because I am not an eye, I am not a part of the body,” it is not for this reason any the less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired. 19 If they were all one member, where would the body be? 20 But now there are many members, but one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; or again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 On the contrary, it is much truer that the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary; 23 and those members of the body which we [fn]deem less honorable, [fn]on these we bestow more abundant honor, and our less presentable members become much more presentable, 24 whereas our more presentable members have no need of it. But God has so composed the body, giving more abundant honor to that member which lacked, 25 so that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if onemember is honored, all the members rejoice with it.
    27 Now you are Christ’s body, and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues. 29 All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they? 30 All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? 31 But earnestly desire the greater gifts.
    And I show you a still more excellent way.

Several critical points that should not be missed:
    1. Gifts are for the benefit of the church, not the glory of the individual.
    2. Different people get different gift ... (one each) note the repeated emphasis on “to one”.
    3. The Holy Spirit is 100% in charge of distribution.
    4. In case it wasn’t clear enough, NO GIFT is for everyone. (So don’t let anyone try to sell you the ‘everyone speaks in tongues’ lie ... God says it ain’t so.)

Take the advice, or don’t. That is on you. I did my job.
    God bless you and keep you.

14. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You said this: But I love the sense of picking up renewed Holy Spirit around an altar of prayer.

My question is not regarding how you fel but what specifically this, "picking up renewed Holy Spirit around an altar of prayer" is. Please unpack what it, how it works, and where in the Bible we are instructed to do such a thing, please. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. One Baptism

One Baptism Active Member

Hello Steven,

May I ask you for a specific clarification, in your statement, " ... I even admit Roman Catholics, Anglicans, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox are in fact Christians. ..."?

Do you believe, irrespective of doctrine, practice or actual belief that all [everyone] within those faiths, are "in fact Christians"? or do you mean to say, that they are all "professing" to be Christians, and that while many are, there are many which are not actually Christians within those faiths, and that those systems of belief have left scriptural Christianity?

I, as a Seventh-day Adventist, thus a student of the word of God, the Bible [KJB], can say that there are many "within" those particular faiths that are indeed Christians, while others "within" those faiths are not, based upon the criteria sert forth in the scripture [KJB], in regards to the light they presently have [John 3:19 KJB]:

Acts 20:30 KJB - Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

2 Thessalonians 2:3 KJB - Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

2 Thessalonians 2:4 KJB - Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

2 Timothy 3:2 KJB - For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

2 Timothy 3:3 KJB - Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

2 Timothy 3:4 KJB - Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

2 Timothy 3:5 KJB - Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

Revelation 2:2 KJB - I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:

Revelation 2:9 KJB - I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Revelation 3:9 KJB - Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

Revelation 18:4 KJB - And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.​

"... there are now true Christians in every church, not excepting the Roman Catholic communion. ..." - The Great Controversy 1911, 449.1

"... It is true that there are real Christians in the Roman Catholic communion. ..." - The Great Controversy 1911, page 565.3
    There are persons "within" those systems which are indeed Christian, but the systems themselves are not Christian at all:

Revelation 17:5 KJB - And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.​

Please notice the distinction between the persons "within" a particular system of faith, and the particular faiths itself/themselves. The two are not synonymous. I do not go by feeling, nor flesh, but by faith in the it is written:

John 17:17 KJB - Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.​

Since only eternal truth may sanctify, error cannot and does not ever sanctify. Therefore, would you be able to clarify for me, your position on this. All spirits are to be tested and proved:

Isaiah 8:20 KJB - To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

1 Corinthians 14:32 KJB - And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

1 Thessalonians 5:19 KJB - Quench not the Spirit.

1 Thessalonians 5:20 KJB - Despise not prophesyings.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 KJB - Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

1 Thessalonians 5:22 KJB - Abstain from all appearance of evil.​

16. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Use to love to sing the old song, accompanied with much shouting...
    1. I have found His grace is all complete,
      He supplieth every need;
      While I sit and learn at Jesus’ feet,
      I am free, yes, free indeed.
      • Refrain:
        It is joy unspeakable and full of glory,
        Full of glory, full of glory;
        It is joy unspeakable and full of glory,
        Oh, the half has never yet been told.
    2. I have found the pleasure I once craved,
      It is joy and peace within;
      What a wondrous blessing, I am saved
      From the awful gulf of sin.
    3. I have found that hope so bright and clear,
      Living in the realm of grace;
      Oh, the Savior’s presence is so near,
      I can see His smiling face.
    4. I have found the joy no tongue can tell,
      How its waves of glory roll;
      It is like a great o’erflowing well,
      Springing up within my soul.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not mean to say that any denomination has nothing but saved believers. We must confirm our election through obedience to Jesus as the bible tells us over and over again. What I mean is that my bigotry of saying all in those denominations are unsaved, including their martyrs, is dissolved. Now, I am still making up my mind on how much we can stretch right doctrine, which is something I don't fully understand, but for now I will give these groups the benefit of the doubt.

18. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the advice, I agree theologically with you, but it is good to be reminded of it while surrounded by Pentecostals. He just trusts me with a crazy number of gifts, that I am trying to use to the maximum benefit, reminded it must be for His fame, not mine at all. We are just evil, undeserving slaves just doing our duty.

19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ever read the Geneva Bible, Psalm 51?

20. One Baptism

One Baptism Active Member

Fair enough. Second inquiry.

The utterances which proceeds from your mouth, and of which you have lettered some of in this very forum, have you considered them in the light of Acts 20:30 KJB, and ask yourself, "How do I test that which is spoken to see whether or not it is holy or perversant; truth or error"?

Acts 20:30 KJB - Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.​

For instance, there have been such persons, under the influence of a spirit/s, and spake forth many things, and at those specific times, they were actually languages spoken/known by mankind upon the earth, and they themselves did not recognize what they were saying, but were simply speaking by the spirit/s, and it comes to be that a person within range of this audio, could understand what was said, being their native tongue, and knew that the other person/s was/were actually blaspheming [not praising] God [JEHOVAH].

Others, utter things that is/are completely unknown amongst all mankind as a language, and have no sentence structure, syntax, distinguishable verbs, nouns, adjectives, proper names, pronouns, punctuative tone, etc., but were simply a string [or broken strings] of repeated [or non-repeated] gutteral noises, or were mixes [amalgamations] of known words in the varied tongues of mankind, all of which were non-sensical, and unordered [chaotic, without form and void [empty of meaning], and thus brought only confusion and darkness to the persons and congregations participating therein, and though for a time a spirit of exhiliration was upon them, later a deeper depression would settle upon them, looking for the next arousal to new heights by this sensual stimulus].

Therefore, when you say that you both speak and translate [you are saying that you have the gifts to speak and translate] what foundational corroboration do you use to test it/them, and what are the other witnesses to substantiate it/them, that you have spoken an language/tongue, and that what was spoken/uttered indeed translates to what you personally say it does, as it is written, "In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established."

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.