1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I have changed my mind about Police

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Reynolds, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The hanging of horse thieves was predicated on two factors.
    1. Horses were a means of life and living. Stealing a man's horse was many times a death sentence.
    2. Courts were many times few and far between. It's called being on the frontier.
    Regretfully, the US didn't use the British\Canadian model. The Canadians sent out Mounties to the bleeding edge of their frontier. So, the justice system was able to deal with matters in a more orderly fashion.

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have met and worked with many officers. There are more rotton apples in the barrel now than there have ever been. I was talking with a retired trooper a few months ago and he was venting about how unethical the new breed of officers are.

3. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That sounds suspiciously like an admission that having a Law Enforcement Officer involved was...a good thing.

God bless.

4. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that is a conclusion both you fellows make based on what you know, which is compared to what needs to be known.

And there is no way either of you are justified in vilifying Police Officers you have never met. And there is no way you can reasonably conclude your conclusions are just, seeing you know only of a few individuals compared to the vast number of Police officers there actually are.

It is typical for men to think "Things were better back in the day," but the truth is, there is nothing new under the sun. The question is, were there Police Officers looking down their noses at you fellows when you were coming up in the ranks...

The trend to badmouth, slander, Police Officers as a whole is getting out of hand, in my view. This because many, like you, draw their conclusions from a minimal amount of information, which is usually gleaned from, tsk...the Media.

Let me tell you about a Police Officer that was recently killed in my own county: He worked with youth in his spare time, and was active in drug enforcement, and died after being shot in a drug enforcement action.

You guys dishonor men like this, and I view your slander as both faulty and shameless.

And that's it for me in this one, this thread makes me sick like most Political Threads do.

God bless.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't recall ever suffering because of another Peace Officer.

I have arrested several hundred. In fact when I was still working Traffic my partner and I won the MADD award 3 years in a row, not bad in a department with 7000 sworn Peace Officers in a community of over 3 million.

Well, I am sure you know more about it than I do. I only wore the silver star for half my life.

I don't recall vilifying Peace Officers. Just pointed out they are people, just like the rest of us.

Yes, of course. I am sure you know many more Peace Officers than I do.

First, I did not badmouth or slander anyone. Second I will put my experience up against yours any day of the week. And I never watch, read, or listen to the "media."

Me. Over 30 years ago.

San Diego Sheriff.jpg

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Already dealt with. Justice on a frontier is a lot different than in an organized urban area.

Not many cow punchers in Hidalgo County. Mostly agriculture down here. King cotton, citrus, sugar cane.

Been there. Done that.

No, I live in Hidalgo County Texas.

If, for some reason, the social order collapsed, yes, we, the people, would be able to maintain order. There are about 60,000 sworn Peace Officers in Texas. But just about every Texan owns a gun, and over 1 million have a License To Carry. Trust me. We would not allow the criminal element to prey on the innocent.

Peace Officers are men (and women). Courts are men (and women). Who do you think is enforcing the law now?

Hollywood. Probably not the best place to get your American history.

About the same as always. Pretty quiet. Of course with every other person you meet on a daily basis carrying a firearm the criminals head north to the big cities. Soft targets are much safer for them. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bad apples are ruining it for the good officers. It would be in police officers best interest to purge the chaff from the profession. The actions of the bad apples are why the public as a whole distrust all. Protect and serve.

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regretfully, that wasn't the system used on the American Frontier. But then, we Americans preferred a weaker central government.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That guy would not get elected in NJ and NY. Did you see what NY Gov., Cumo is doing with the Tappan Zee Bridge... naming it after his daddy! :CoffeeConfused

10. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Ga Tech shooting is a prime example of my mentality shift. A few weeks ago, I would have said "good shoot." I now agree with the liberals. 1. She was well outside 21 ft. 2. She was retreating. 3. Her retreat did not pose an immediate danger to others.
    Bad shoot!

11. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My son was fishing on someone's property with their permission. Unfortunately, they forgot to tell their elderly mother who also lived on the place, and she called the Sheriff's department. So my son's down at this body of water and two sheriff's deputies accosted him. One was running toward him, weapon drawn, and pointed at his chest saying "drop the FISHING POLE". They then arrested him, handcuffed him in the back of their cruiser until a call to the owner confirmed that he had permission. But, as they were preparing to uncuff him and let him go, one of them said, no, let's leave him cuffed and make him go appolgize to the old lady, which they did. When I heard about this, and contacted the Sheriff's department, they lied about the weapon being pointed at my son, lied about leaving him cuffed, and threatened to arrest him again. I also talked with the sheriff about this but he backed up his officver with some lame excuse about his officers being in "lizard mode". It certainly left a bad taste in my mouth after this. My son was never charged for anything. When election time came back around that sheriff didn't get my vote again. I had voted for him the first time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Junk like that is why there is zero trust or respect for L.E. in the USA. I now view them as 99% nuisance and 1% servant. I think for most of them the servant is reluctant. They thrive off annoying people. I actually had an instructor teach us how to make people nutt up just so there would be grounds for an obstruction arrest. I saw it happen time and again. I am glad I retired.

#32 Reynolds, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  13. SheepWhisperer

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the MORAL decision right here, would have been to put a 9mm or .40 slug in this dog's spine and end this immediately instead of letting the thing continue biting while ordering the man not to move. It was the officer's fault that he failed to control his dog and THEIR responsibility that this dog wasn't sufficiently trained to let go on command.

. But today, our society, including police officers, puts more value in the life of a dog than on another human being. I dont care what this guy had done: as you can see he had already surrendered peacefully and was no threat whatsoever during this encounter.

14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Truth be known they probably laughed about it once they turned off the cameras.

15. SheepWhisperer

Faith:
    Baptist
    I bet they quit laughing when the lawsuit was filed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hopefully.

17. SheepWhisperer

Faith:
    Baptist
    The brother was right; we are to be subject to the higher powers because they are ordained of God. . But at the same time we are also supposed to reprove the evil works of darkness.

18. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to add that when one is "taken into custody" the authorities are then to protect that person as their own child would be and to care for the livelihood

There would have been no Bonnie and Clyde had he not been physically - s..ually assualted by the very ones charged with his custodial care. He was there for steeling a few chickens.

For some authorities, turning an offender loose in prison to be abused is justified.

Really?

Abuse of power should never be tolerated, and doing nothing to stop abuse when one is dutifully sworn to serve in a institution in which others are "put in custody" is an abuse of power.

Prison life should not be a place where abuse is tolerated from anyone.

In fact I am not certain that prison and incarceration is even biblical.

19. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a former cop, I know the system well as it was some 35 years ago. I was an "Oakland Rider" kind of cop, a bully, & sometimes the "mechanic" who "tuned up" some suspects. I THOUGHT I was doing right by doing whatever it took to put away a punk we all knew was a criminal. However, I came to realize MY acts were as unlawful as THEIRS; only of a different tyoe.

After I was saved, I resigned as a cop, as I saw I couldn't really be an effective cop and an effective Christian at the same time. (I fully realize there are many great Christian cops, but apparently God had other plans for me.)

A prevalent thought, espacially among big-city cops is that there are 2 kinds of people in their bailiwick - Fuzz and Scuzz. They tend to look at everyone else as a potential suspect.

I believe the whole police training curriculum could stand a major-league overhaul!

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been a long time since I heard fuzz vs scuzz. Definitely a prevailing attitude in most departments.