1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I have to know. What changed Billy's mind (Graham)

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HungryInherit, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I don't believe that at all, and neither does anyone who holds to what Mr. Graham is saying.

2. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

So, you believe God created all those people for no other reason than to send them to hell? If they never had opportunity to hear of Christ, how could they be saved then? If they had no chance to be saved, then that is saying what I wrote in my first sentence, is it not?

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

My horse is there also... HOWEVER-

We must remember that before Jesus came, there were those who believed and trusted God's promise of a future Redeemer and were saved by their faith in that promise although they never heard the name Jesus Christ.

But NOW- "there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

God created them to glorify Him- some do so by being elected to eternal life and some do so by suffering eternal damnation.

5. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

Ok, fair enough, but what is he saying? Is a man that worships idols responsible for his actions if he dies without hearing the gospel? You seem to think he is not. Where does that man go, heaven or hell?

6. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

And that is Calvinist garbage.

7. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

We are all responsible for our actions.

What if someone lived before Jesus and sought to know the truth about God and our existence, and that person tried to live by the teachings that Jesus later demonstrated. What happens to such a person after death? Is this person automatically hellbound for eternity?

8. Monster

Monster New Member

Hmmm...I always kind fell into the thinking that God is more than adequate to read the hearts of all men. And while I believe that it's unlikely that many, if any are saved without hearing the specific Gospel of Jesus Christ, I do think that there is merit in the possibility of a proper response to "Christ revealed in/through creation" leading to accountability one way or the other.

Scriptures;

John 1 1-5 - Isn't this a clear declaration that Christ is imprinted in some identifiable way in all of creation. I am by no stretch advocating any form of pantheism here, just Christ revealed throughout all that's been created.

Which leads to Romans 1 and more specifically, Romans 1:20 "For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse."

It pretty clearly states that the probable eternal destiny of man dying without hearing of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is hell. But, it also implies that God in his infinite wisdom and grace, is able to judge a man's heart, once again, based on his response to the revealed Creation of and through Christ.

This is more or less thinking and wrestling through scriptures aloud. I've no desire to argue about it or get into a tussle over Cal's five.

9. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

:thumbsup:

Nor I. :)

10. Bronconagurski

When I first got saved, I was taught that people in the OT were saved by looking forward to the cross, and afterward, looking back at the cross. I found out it is not that simple in the OT. I believe salvation in any time period is by grace thru faith. The question in the OT, is faith in what? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. Now what did Abraham believe? Paul tells us in Romans that he believed the what God had promised concerning Abraham's seed, God was able to perform. Abraham was justified before the giving of the law, so OT saints are not saved by keeping the law, as some erroneously believe. Now, what did Abraham believe about his seed? Jesus tells us in John- John 8:56 (ESV)
    56 Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.”
    Abraham saw Christ from afar, so , yes, he was looking forward to the day of Christ. When the law came, on the great day of atonement, they were looking forward to Christ. Salvation is by grace thru faith, no matter when the time period.

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I prefer to believe that it is a treasure.

Ok, so tell me- does God get glory when someone goes to hell, or not?

Does God not get glory in everything He does, including judgment? Is not His righteousness glorified when He judges?

#31 Mexdeaf, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2013
  12. Monster

Monster New Member

Just curious here, shouldn't we be happy then that some are damned? If it gives God glory, it's all good. Should we desire (and pray for) the damnation of some? And this is an old argument but I'll make it nonetheless; why bother with the great commission at all? Glory is what God created us for, it's why Christ was required, to "fix" us to do it (it being glorify God)...or maybe not, if damnation equals God gets glory, then Christ wasted His time. God would get what He created us for without the need to sacrifice His son.

Isn't it just a likely that those in hell are there because God is just and merciful and has judged them for their sins rather than seeking glorification through the eternal suffering and damnation of those He made in His image... for the sole purpose of glorify Him? Damnation for glorification seems like man's circular reasoning and not the acts of a just God.

Otherwise, it seems like a broken equation to say that God created those doomed for damnation as a "glorify-er." The act of redeeming the lost and damned gives God glory, and it's those redeemed creatures that give God glory and to my finite mind, the very reason we were created.

But, all that said. I agree with the basic fact, that all things work to glorify God. As to the above and as I said in another thread, I'm just thinking aloud.

13. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

A pagan god might get that kind of glory, but not God the Father of Jesus Christ.

And I didn't mean to be harsh with you. I was addressing only the doctrine.

14. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

:thumbsup:

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Yes God the father of the Lord Jesus Christ will get the glory on the damnation of those who are fairly judged to be worthy of it.

It is harsh but true and Biblical to believe and teach this.

16. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I of course respectfully disagree.

17. Bronconagurski

God takes no pleasure in those that die and go to hell. Ezekiel 33:11 (NKJV)
    11 Say to them: 'As I live,' says the Lord GOD, 'I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why should you die, O house of Israel?'

18. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Thanks! :)

19. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes...this is again the root of the problem.When you turn away from truth you go into error.We see it on BB on a daily basis.:thumbs:

20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Turning from clear truth this poster rushes headlong into error.:thumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.