1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I have to know. What changed Billy's mind (Graham)

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HungryInherit, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Billy Graham will give an account just like all the rest of us. I listened and watched him preach many times all the way back to the early 60's. Apparently, many souls were converted. How many were added to New Testament churches is not readily apparent. They were instructed to seek a "bible believing" church.

This is consistent with universal church which is pretty much what most of Christendom believes, be it visible or invisible--an interesting contradiction in itself. If the Church is local and visible only, there are many who have an ecclesia problem, not just Mr. Graham.

Having a big dose of the "warm and fuzzy" is not conversion.

If the world likes your preaching, look out, you are surely in a ditch.

The Lord will get all the sheep back in the fold--regardless of how we may botch the mission.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, brother!

Interestingly enough, in the Chinese and Japanese Bible, the character for "way" in John 14:6 is , which is tao in Chinese and michi in Japanese. It is the character used in the Chinese philosophy/religion of Taoism, "the teaching of the way." In that case it means the way of life. There is only One Way for life, Jesus Christ, Son of God! But Taoism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shintoism and all the other Asian -isms reject Christ. Even when a heathen religion recognizes Christ as someone important as Islam does, they reject Christ as the Son of God.

3. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

There are three possible answers to why Billy Graham changed his stand. (1) He woke up one morning and realized by saying people in countries that have never heard of Christ will go to hell was not consistant with Arminian doctrine, so he changed his mind. (2) His Altimers disease was effecting him in it's early stages. (3) If he is a false prophet and always was, God is letting him make it known to the whole world. I personally don't think Billy would have been well know as he is if it wasn't for Randolf Hearst the news papers magnet that got behind Billy in his crusades and publicised him till he was a house hold name. Now about the subject will the lost that has never heard of Jesus from the time they are born till the time they died go to hell, i believe they will. The ones that don't agree with this don't realise salvation is all of grace. God doesn't owe anyone anything. God doesn't owe everyone at least one chance. We was all seperated from God through Adam. If God hadn't chose some, none would be saved. Some people kick at God's sovereignty by him making a choice but then they want to be sovereign in there own lives by making their every day choices like buying the kind of car that pleases them. The scripture say's we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish: to the one we are the savior of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life, 11 Cor 2:15-16. Yes, God will get glory out of the wicked. God has many attributes other than love, and not one is magnified over the other. God's wrath and judgement will be glorfied in casting wicked sinners into hell.

#63 salzer mtn, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2013
  4. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Well, now aren't you glad you are one of the fortunate ones who had a chance to hear about Jesus instead of one of the countless millions who didn't.

Seems like a lot are glad that all those folks are going to hell so God can get the glory.

I'm glad God is who he is and not the god of TULIP.

5. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

So you think only the ones that heard the gospel and rejected it will go to hell? That is inconsistent with Romans 1. I happen to believe (I know I will be jumped on by someone as wrong) that if we live up to the light we have, then God sends more light. But let's say He does not. Is there unrighteousness with God? No where in God's word does He promise that those who did not hear the gospel are not responsible. At least I have not found proof. If you have some, I will be glad to take a look at it. And I don't know about anyone else, but I do feel fortunate to have heard the gospel and be saved. I owe that to God and the many Americans in North Carolina before me that propagated the gospel as God commanded. I don't get hung up on who will be there, just who I can reach with the gospel in my world. God is holy, and He will do right. Always.

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

:thumbsup:

7. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

You said, "So you think only the ones that heard the gospel and rejected it will go to hell?" No, I do not, and nowhere did In say that.

You said, "I happen to believe (I know I will be jumped on by someone as wrong) that if we live up to the light we have, then God sends more light."
    So do I.

You said, "No where in God's word does He promise that those who did not hear the gospel are not responsible."
    I agree.

You said, "God is holy, and He will do right. Always." I couldn't agree more.

8. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow--so much heat and anger and so little just letting the Bible speak.

It does say God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. It does say Jesus was the Savior of the whole world, but especially of them that believe.

Now, the universalists could be dead wrong. But they could also be the only one's taking the Bible literally, something held in high esteem here on BB.

I suppose there are some liberals who see universalism and just a "get out of hell free" card.

But there have been many rock solid Christians through the ages that held the position. In fact, most did until the church became institutionalized and government enmeshed. Then seems there was a need for a doctrine of hell much like what most of us hold to today in order to keep those rebelling against the institutional church in line.

It is extremely enlightening to either use a Bible that simply transliterates sheol, hades, gehenna, and tartaroo or tartarus rather than one that uses the word hell, or look up hell in a good concordance and lectionary every time it appears. And then it is also extremely enlightening to see what those words would have meant to the original speakers and hearers.

That can, but doesn't always, lead Arminians to believe God never ever gives up on a person, allowing them as much "hell" as it takes to repent and come to Christ for salvation.

It can, but doesn't always, lead Calvinists to believe that all for whom Christ died will be saved, that the Bible says clearly He died for all and WILL draw (or drag) all to Himself, so God will give you as much "hell" as it takes to get you there.

Some see no glory to God in losing the battle for even one soul, see God as ultimate victor, and so see all as being saved eventually.

Romans 1 makes it clear there is at least the possibility of salvation without hearing the gospel preached. Also shows it highly unlikely. But still, theoretically possible.

Now, given the damascas road incident with Paul, I figure God can save anyone He wants, anytime He wants, any way He wants. So I don't believe the millions and billions that never heard will be damned simply because they didn't have a chance to hear. Maybe they will be lost, but if so surely God knew they would never respond positively to Him anyway.

Or maybe at the moment of death they will be given an experience much like Paul's. Maybe they will ALL be in heaven.

For myself, I prefer witnessing that encourages people to come to Christ now--why take the chance? And yet in my prayer closet, I hope and pray He makes a way for all.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I prefer to believe that God has clearly and plainly stated His plan and will in the Scriptures, and there is no "perdition" or second chance. God cannot lie, and if there is any other way than through faith in Christ, He has mislead those of us who have cast our all upon Jesus as the only hope.

10. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Excellent post. Thank you! :thumbsup:

11. Monster

Monster New Member

I agree with this absolutely and that said;

I'm still curious however, do you believe that or maybe better stated, what are your thoughts on how Christ is revealed throughout all of creation? I'm still thinking about; John 1 1-5 and Romans 1

I've always understood the general truth about the eternal damnation for those who die an earthly death, never having heard the name, let alone the gospel of Jesus Christ, is based on God's judgment of their response to His hidden attributes and divine nature revealed through His creation. Maybe you've made this clear and I missed it or misread. ***edited to state that I also believe the likelihood of this form of salvation is infinitesimally small***

Also, on a side note. I think I read somewhere (and your name implies) that you have hearing loss? I'm in that category to some degree. Mind if I PM you on the subject?

#71 Monster, Feb 17, 2013
  12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

The Bible Answers That

TH...The Bible supplies the answer to that without question in Romans 3:10,11 when it says "As it is written,There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that SEEKETH (caps mine)after God."

People go to hell because they are sinners by birth and by nature and no amount of good works or deeds that they do...even if they profess to believe in a "god" will change that. Jesus Christ is the only way to Heaven. If ANY man could ever do enough good works or commendable deeds to attain heaven then Christ died on the cross in VAIN. The fact that Christ HAD to suffer such cruelty and die at the hands of wicked man ought to convince the whole world of their need for Him....but yet...it doesn't. Any "effort" that man makes apart from trusting Christ's finished work is FUTILE.

Bro.Greg:praying:

13. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Thank You...

Bro.John...Thank You...I was kind of hoping you might show up in this thread and offer a bit of balance from a "missionary" perspective. I have spent several days trying to work my way through this thread and it has been a real BB roller coaster ride.

Bro.Greg

#73 Gregory Perry Sr., Feb 17, 2013
  14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did anyone ever wonder is Billy Graham suffering from dementia because of his age. Maybe Alzheimer. My brothers wife has this terrible disease and I know first hand how it effects the mind. They get so forgetful that eventually they just forget to breathe.
    MB

15. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

And yet there is still Romans 1 and 2, as others have pointed out.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is semantically ridiculous. If none of these words mean Hell, then there is no word for Hell in the koine Greek language. In, fact, in a good lexicon (concordance? lectionary? You must be joking.) every single one of these words has the meaning of "Hell" in the right context.

Sheol: "sheol, underworld, grave, hell, pit" (BDB, from e-Sword software)
    hades: "punishment for sinners" under en adhV in meaning 1 (BAGD, p. 16)
    gehenna: "in the Gospels it is a place of punishment in the next life, hell" (BAGD, p. 153).
    tartaroo: "Tartarus, thought of by the Greeks as a subterranean place lower than Hades where divine punishment was meted out, was so regarded in Jewish apocalyptic as well" (BAGD, p. 805).

(I can quote many more lexicons if need be.)

You can't simply make up meanings for Bible words and ignore the normal, 1st century Greek or pre-1st century Hebrew meanings. That way leads to heresy.

17. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I've never seen a place where the charge of heresy or the word 'heresy' is thrown around as much as it is here. Looks like the definition of it here is: "Anyone who disagrees with me". :rolleyes:

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are confusing natural revelation, which can give knowledge of God, with the Gospel, which alone leads to salvation. There is nothing in Rom. 1 that says a person can be saved without knowing the Gospel, that Christ died for their sins and rose again.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are apparently talking about the statement I just made, in which I accused no one of heresy. And I have never accused anyone here of heresy, but I have discussed the concept and will continue to do so.

So I take it you disagree with the idea that inventing your own definitions for Bible words can lead to heresy, is that correct? Since heresy is a Biblical concept, surely you can't be against the idea that heresy exists.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who think any teaching other than Christ's Gospel can lead to eternal life often have no idea what destruction a belief system other than the Biblical one leads to. I remember when Billy Graham stated that he had seen no persecution in the USSR after they took him around to state-sponsored churches, each with their own state-approved pastor teaching nothing but state approved doctrine.

For my part, I went to language school with many Chinese, including some from Communist China. I could tell you several stories of how communism destroys.

Again, years ago a Christian on one of those old e-mail lists tried to tell me that Buddhists didn't cause wars, a ridiculous concept in the light of history. In just WW2 we have so many atrocities by Japanese Buddhists: the Bataan Death March, the Rape of Nanking, the army unit which experimented with WMDs on live prisoners, etc. Buddhism and Shintoism lead to nothing other than harm and destruction.

#80 John of Japan, Feb 17, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.