1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I Look Down On Young Women With Husbands And Kids And I’m Not Sorry

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jan 26, 2014.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

Here Gina ...

[​IMG]

I think this one is your size.

Poncho's post is stupid, off the wall, and ignorant. "The corporations and banks invented feminism"??? Seriously? You think that's valid, even if some twisted, maniacal way? Great googly moogly!!

[​IMG]

#41 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of them do. There are some who regret not having an outlet for the college degree that they fought so hard for. The stay at home mothers that I know are quite happy in their choice .... and I'm happy for them.

But if you think that there aren't those who would like all women to bear children and be the chief cook and bottle washer and no more - you need to rethink that. Especially in church circles, conservative circles, and the more fundamentalist circles.

My own pastor (whom I love) told me to my face once (even though his wife is a nurse, ironic, no?) that it's his opinion that all women should be stay at home wives and mothers. He didn't say it hatefully, but even so - he's the pastor. I didn't know what to say, so I said nothing.

His Mother's Day sermons are hard to bear. He said once that it's a woman's job - solely - to keep the house spotless so that her husband and children will want to come home.

He said once that when Abraham took Isaac to be sacrificed, "Do you notice who wasn't there? (and then he shouted) SARAH WASN'T THERE!! She had no right to be there!!"

There is a lot of opinion/attitude that women are to stay at home only and if a women is raised that way, taught in conservative Bible colleges, from the pulpit, or demanded from her husband - then her choice indeed has been taken away.

I don't begrudge any woman who stays at home - I just want it to be her complete and sole decision.

From those same conservative circles that I was talking about .... ALL the time.

It's on this board and has been for years. Women who do something other than stay at home are many times called selfish, trying to be a man, neglecting God-called duties, and more.

I'll just lay it on the line. BOTH lifestyles for women are criticized from some one.

And you know who does it the most? Other women.

I have many stay at home mothers as my friends on Facebook. There are at least 2 of them who mock women like me through posting links and subtle innuendos that hurt.

By the same token, I've heard a handful of women who chose a career path make light of what a stay at home mother does.

I've said all of my adult life that women MUST stop doing this to each other. For some women - not all -it's like one group is afraid of the accomplishments of the other - or believe their accomplishments to be superior.

Why is this? Men can be the great dad, father, weekend golfer, and astronaut. He gets to accomplish all in life and is never forced to choose between home and career.

I've said this many times: Men will NEVER fully "get it" until we women STOP viewing each other as the enemy. I don't care what a woman chooses to do and as I said I have many stay at home mothers in my life - my real life included. I love and support them all.

But not all woman support the choices of other women and that makes me sick.

I understand that. Very well.

But I've never heard it preached from a pulpit. Never.

#42 Scarlett O., Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  3. thisnumbersdisconnected

There are far more feministas in the world like Amy Glass who think anyone who would choose such a life for themselves is dull, uneducated, enslaved, dumb, barefoot and pregnant. Those types are far more numerous, and far more dangerous, than the very few who would fit the description you claim here.
    Perhaps you should go to his home and make sure he doesn't have any women chained up in the basement. I mean, he must, given he holds such a dangerous opinion. [/sarcasm]
    In reality, it isn't any of your business. Why don't you ask them if it is or not? I'd be prepared to catch a rather lengthy diatribe from them about not questioning their life choices or their beliefs, however.
    I defy you to find one woman in a so-called "conservative circle" who has ever had the nerve to actually go up to a female corporate executive and ask that question. One, they have more decorum than that. Two, they don't want to catch the reverse diatribe you will get if you ever ask a stay-at-home mom such a personally invasive question.
    Many on this board have nothing better to do than be someone else's judge and jury. I wouldn't judge the real world by anything said on this board, by male or female. The same can be said about Facebook, LinkedIn, or any Internet based "community." People say things online they would never have the guts to say to your face. Most of what is said online is meaningless in the first place, and if you let words on a screen cause you emotional pain, you're likely being way too sensitive about what others think of you in the first place. You have only two to which you must answer: God, and yourself. If you're married, add in your spouse as #3. No one else matters.
    Again, it's irrelevant. We allow people to hold our lives in their hands by their opinions. Why? They are just that, opinions. They have no binding power, no strength by which to defeat us. Say, "Thank you for your opinion," and move on. Americans for far too long have cared what other people think, to no purpose other than letting it cause them personal anxiety.
    Men do it to one another. You must understand, what a man does is where his identity lies. Failure in the job or in a recreational activity is a blow to the ego that rejection by a wife or a girlfriend can't begin to match. Sure, we're hurt by the women in our lives having a low opinion of us, even if it is out of temporary anger or misunderstanding. But when we fail, we reduce our value in our own eyes, not to mention how we know our friends and co-workers see us (even if they don't). You seem to think men get off scot-free. We don't. We treat one another worse than we inadvertently, or with some of us, deliberately treat women, or than they treat us. You're focusing on one aspect of a problem that afflicts the whole human race: Others' opinions of us, and the bottom line is, they don't matter, not in the least.
    I've got startling news for you. The vast majority of men don't care one way or another. You may see men from the perspective of those in your life, but overall, men could care less if their wives, mothers, sisters, daughters, etc., work or stay home -- though as a dad I can say I want my daughter to be everything she can be, however she sees that work out in her life. I'm proud of my wife and her major accomplishments as a NICU nurse, mother, and servant of the Lord for all these years. But other women? Among our friends are many women who have both achieved greatly outside the home and inside the home. But I don't care one way or another. What I care about is that they are our friends, they treat my wife well, they accept me for who I am. Again, this may surprise you, but that is what the vast majority men care about regarding women in the world around them.
    It shouldn't matter that much. Or at all. Not given that the only person it affects, that you can do anything about, is you.
    Then you've been in the wrong churches.

4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Awesome counterpoint. Well thought out and written with an elegance we seldom see here. :rolleyes:

#44 poncho, Jan 28, 2014
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It received the response it deserved.

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Everyone is entitled to an opinion I reckon. It makes me happy no end to have everyone witness such childish antics from my detractors. :smilewinkgrin:

I think this thread is bringing out some true colors Gina. :laugh:

#46 poncho, Jan 28, 2014
  7. thisnumbersdisconnected

If someone can dream up an improbable scenario, another someone has a webpage and a YouTube video dedicated to proving it is true. Even when that's impossible -- as with most of the clap-trap you post.

8. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Well that's sort of disappointing. I was hoping you'd throw in some of the more colorful insults you've become famous for. Ah well, I'm sure you'll post some somewhere today. :)

#48 poncho, Jan 28, 2014
  9. thisnumbersdisconnected

I'm not famous. Just truthful.

10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

There's no need to be so modest TND you're making quite the name for yourself here. I always thought of myself as being courageous but I can't hold a candle to you. You know it all and aren't afraid to tell everyone so. That takes real guts, bravo! :thumbs:

#50 poncho, Jan 28, 2014
  11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fair enough.

However, I never claimed that women's choices were my business. I only support their ability to make the life choice on their own with no outside pressure.

And I have indeed seen women from both camps speak unkindly to other women's faces about their life's choice.

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I can't help but hear Cindy Lauper's "True Colors" playing in my head as I read through this! :laugh:

I've never run across someone who mocks and degrades to the degree of TND who isn't a fearful person. People who are afraid know there's something to be afraid of, but they're confused about what it is and can't quite understand it, so they try to push it away rather than face it and learn more about what is triggering their fear.

That's not a good place to be, but it least it does show that somewhere inside, there's a thought process going on. Something that says "This is too scary to accept so I must push it away at all costs rather than analyze it. I must call it unbelievable because accepting even a tiny part of it would hurt my world view and that would be devastating."

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

Thank you for the psychoanalysis. I shall copy this into Word, print it out, show it to my wife, children, colleagues, have a wonderful laugh over how you have me all figured out, and then shred it so as to save a tree.

[​IMG]

That really is hilarious.

God bless.

#53 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 28, 2014
  14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Save a tree, you say? Careful now. Recycling is the gateway thought. After that comes being a liberal, then a radical, then a conspiracy theorist, and somewhere along the way it all just turns to chaos and anarchy.
    You may want to pick up a torch and burn the paper instead, or perhaps drop it in your incinerator. Fire is, after all, something people are drawn to, and especially pretty when done at night.
    I must go now. My glass of milk, my apple, and my pear are calling my name.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just now reading through this thread and I'll be happy to say this for you.

I don't care if the man is a Nobel Peace Prize winner, if he is a doctor - and the best doctor in the world - or a scientist who has discovered the cure for cancer.

If he is a good father and husband, I praise him. If he's a lousy father and husband, I will shake my head and wonder what happened. It's the same for women. A godly man who is great with his family and a godly woman who is great with her family is the best thing a person could be. THAT is my goal with my children. I don't care if they are the person who mops bathrooms in rest stops or the president of the US. I want godly children who are good fathers/mothers/husbands/wives/followers of Christ.

16. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann, I agree with everything you say. Either I have been misunderstood or else I have misunderstood Sola Saint to begin with and replied to something he wasn't intending.

I took Sola Saint to mean that he would rather a woman be a good wife and mother and not anything else or that anything is irrelevant. Did I misread him?

I was asking him why does no one ever say that about men? I was asking why don't men have to pass the "father and husband" test first and only with some before they can have other aspects to their life that are just as important to society.

And it doesn't matter what they are - if they are good spouses and parents first - but I was asking why men are assumed to have another aspect to their lives in addition to being dads and husbands (professions, hobbies, man caves....) and sometimes women aren't afforded the same assumption.

That's all.

Have I misread anyone?

#56 Scarlett O., Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  17. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

There's a name for this condition. Cognitive Dissonance. CLICK HERE To see how it works. :smilewinkgrin:

18. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQfjIw3mivc&hd=1

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is going to irritate a few but God intended that women would take care of the home and men to provide the income for the home. Just because society has looked at some things that men do as high and mighty is no reason to be driven by that.