I Tim 2:8-14

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Reynolds, Apr 20, 2022.

1. JesusFan Well-Known Member

God made a "big deal" about that though, as it relates to His view of headship authority!

2. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn’t Jesus God?

3. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does he say?

4. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come on… aren’t you the “Jesus Fan”

5. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Elders, correct.
    Pastors, this will depend on whether a pastor is an elder. Certainly an elder is a pastor and thus a man.
    However, your question is a strawman as it has nothing to do with the Bible text of this thread. What does the text, here in 1 Timothy, tell us?

6. CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,
    First, I would like to ask where does this word "Desire" appear in 1 Tim 2? I see it not once in this chapter.
    Secondly, Paul is writing a "universal" command for ALL the ages during the Church age because He was writing to Christians within this Chapter, and all of 1 & 2 Timothy....
    Matter of fact one needs to read 1 Tim 1, particularly at the end where it mentions:
    1Ti 1:18 This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;
    1Ti 1:19 Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:
    1Ti 1:20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

So when you begin to read 1 Tim 2:1 Paul is EXHORTING Timothy:
    1Ti 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

Which is following Paul's strong rebuke against Hymenaeus & Alexander, because it was obvious these two men were making a mockery and blaspheming the Lord's Gospel and living a Holy life.. So Paul in the 2nd chapter is exhorting him to be careful and how to live and teach what the Lord desires of His People. So this means he did not desire the action's of those two men to be repeated, because they were rebellious, and separated from the Body of Christ.

Context is very important.......... to give a clear picture of what was taking place. So therefore everything Paul is teaching is for the Good of the whole church throughout the ages, which includes the time in which we find ourselves now.

Lord bless you....

7. CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

Actually the ground was cursed, and Adam was going to suffer due to that curse. He was going to have to toil:

Gen 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

And it is confirmed here:
    Gen 5:29 And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed.

Actually Cain was cursed by the Lord due to him murdering his brother Abel:

Gen 4:11 And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;
    Gen 4:12 When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

I hope that clears up your confusion.

The Lord bless you....

8. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Society may assign status, but God does not. God assigns roles to us and we either fulfill the roles he has given or we hide them and don't fulfill the role given to us.
    I think this is where me, especially, can become prideful. If we, as Christian men, view roles as differing status, then we have misunderstood scripture. God tells us that the Spirit gives gifts as the Spirit sees fit. There is no status in these gifts. In fact Paul goes out of his way to equate gifts with various body parts and he says that those gifts that aren't as noticeable are vital to the body. Therefore, I do not see men or women having anything to do with status. God tells us that gender has nothing to do with status. "There is neither male nor female..."
    We do have roles. May we be content in the role God gives.

9. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    English Standard Version

1 Timothy 2:3-4,8-15

This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
    I
    desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.

10. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul helps us here.
    Romans 5:12-21
    Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned— for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come. But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man’s trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many. And the free gift is not like the result of that one man’s sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification. For if, because of one man’s trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ. Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. For as by the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man’s obedience the many will be made righteous. Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

11. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Humans are never content. That’s not our natures.

12. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, yet Paul could say that he had "learned to be content in every situation." Therefore it is possible.

13. CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Okay,
    I see.
    I only utilize the KJV.
    However I am a bit confused, how does this justify your statement, regarding Paul " He is not making a universal command to all churches throughout all time."

When in fact Paul was making a "universal command" to all the church age. You have not answered my response clearly.

Thank you....
    Lord bless you...

14. CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

This does not back up your statement that God cursed Adam......so still not clear to me what you are trying to project.

Thank you.
    The Lord bless you....

15. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cal, if Romans 5 cannot convince you that in Adam breaking covenant with God, a curse fell upon Adam, his offspring and all creation, I don't know what to say.

16. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you desire something, does that mean it is a command that it will happen or does that mean it is what you would ideally like to see happen?
    Is Paul making a universal command in this passage or is he stating his desire for this church and those in this church?
    I do not question the inspiration of God to speak to his church in every season. I am asking if this is a command by Paul or a desire of Paul?

17. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You obviously care because you can't leave it alone.

18. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You agree with your wife's rebellion against God.

19. CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

20. CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

It's a command according to God's will for His Church. Paul's "desires" is what God is commanding and expecting through the Power of the Holy Spirit for His Children. A play on word's is not edifying......and that is all I have to say.

Thank you for this discussion.
    The Lord bless you....