1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I was stunned to have white grape juice at Communion

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Hermeneut7, Aug 23, 2017.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but these people were baptists. :)

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK.

HankD

3. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went to a church that used blackcurrant juice and another which used non alcoholic communion wine, It said on the label it wasn't suitable to drink as a beverage. I suppose it had so many preservatives in it. I read in the history that some Baptists used port wine, and some probably still do.

4. Hermeneut7

Hermeneut7 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Gill, 18th Century English Baptist on Matthew 26:27

"It should be further known, that the wine at the passover, and so what Christ used at his supper, was red.

"Says R. Jeremiah {z} it is commanded to perform this duty, ביין אדום "with red wine".''

And elsewhere it is said {a}, "that it is necessary, that there should be in it (the wine) taste and look.''

The gloss on it is, שיהא אדום, "that it should be red": and which, as it most fitly represented the blood sprinkled on the door posts of the Israelites, when the Lord passed over their houses; so the blood of Christ, shed for the remission of the sins of his people.

{z} T. Hieros. Pesach. fol. 37. 3. & Sabbat, fol. 11. 1. {a} T. Bab. Pesach. fol. 108. 2. & R. Samuel ben Meir in ib."

John Gill was highly respected for his knowledge of the Jewish practices and belief.

"For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me." (1Cor 11:23-25, KJV)

I cannot see using grape juice of any color as a substitute for red wine. Jesus said "this do", not something else do.

"Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you" Matt. 28:20

"The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for his own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly se t down or necessarily contained in the Holy Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is
    to be added, whether by new revelation of the Spirit, or traditions of men
    ."
    1742 Philadelphia Baptist Confession of Faith

I attended Lutheran and Anglican churches upon coming to Florida, before finding my current Baptist church. I was influenced by how serious these churches viewed the Eucharist, and I believe they are correct to insist on wine, not grape juice and neither of those churches used white wine and I see white wine mentioned nowhere in the Bible, only wine associated with red. There is an excellent article online on this subject:
    Why I Would Abstain From Grape Juice in the Eucharist

5. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eucharist is a RC term.

White wine can be made from red grapes so I assume white grape juice can be also,

6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about some magical words of transubstantiation with an appropriate mixture of kosher white wine and Welches dark juice. How does this apply to those of us who are color blind?

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

7. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bread and wine are to be used. Otherwise, why not Twinkies and Coke?

8. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ...only if it is Diet Coke. Not sure about diet Twinkies--probably not available. This is a real dilemma--kind of like giving communion wine to an alcoholic "on the wagon"--Thomas Welch's unfermented wine to the rescue. How about some unsalted, gluten free, whole wheat crackers shaped in triangles and a choice of diet Welch's concord grapeaide or Mogen David 4%?

Sorry, folks, there are believers on this planet who have only Taro bread, coconut milk and water. Now what?

We seem overrun with legalistic typology--transubstantiation is in the mix too. Watch out for those 18 letter words.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#28 Bro. James, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And this is the major problem we see among American Christians. We don't so much want to Christianize the pagans as to Americanize them.

Converts in Pago Pago should use Welches and Unleavened bread. Except they don't have any.

Converts in Pago Pago should dress in suits, dress shirts, ties, and black leather shoes. Except they don't have any.

Converts in Pago Pago should only use the KJV bible (or your bible of choice). Except they don't read English.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably an alt-right deacon.

11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, no suits. One of the best things we ever did was get rid of the suits.

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    People who study these things (who knew they existed?) say that the most popular wine in Judea at the time was made from raisins, was very strong and included a number of spices.

Probably not something you can pick up at the local store. If it was indeed the wine used at the Last Supper, are you improperly using a modern wine in your services?

To insist upon using the exact original elements is folly, in my view, because we simply don't know what was used. It is to elevate the substance of the elements above the intention of the ordinance and is, in fact, a form of sacramentalism.

13. Mike Stidham

Mike Stidham Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was in a church that served wine with communion. They offered grape juice for those who abstained from alcohol, but to distinguish it from the wine, they used white grape juice. I really disliked that idea; there's something that's missing in the symbolism there.

14. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it's the SPIRIT in which the drink and 'bread' are eaten that matters, NOT their actual substance. My church has served grape Gatorade and Great Value (Wal-Mart brand) vanilla wafers for Communion before, trying to use products that no one is allergic to. (Yes, we have scheduled foot-washings when the weather is appropriate.) as has been pointed out, people will use what's available in their time/place/culture. Again, it's the SPIRIT that's important, and that spirit is the remembrance of JESUS CHRIST, that He died for OUR sins. And the foot-washing is remembrance of being served and also serving.(Foot-washing was a great comfort for those in Jesus' time/place who mostly traveled by walking on hot, dusty roads, wearing sandals.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I agree with you 100% on that one!