1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured In A World...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by MrW, Apr 17, 2023.

1. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a world where you can be anything, be kind.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    being kind many mean one thing to one person - but something different to another.

For example - If someone is panhandling for money - and I drop a 10 spot in his hat- some will
    say that I am being kind - others will say, I am being an enabler. Rather, I should offer him a job!

Once, at a red light - a guy came up and said he needed money to eat lunch.
    I told to hop in and i would take him to the Rescue mission for lunch
    He said "I would never eat that slop". Apparently he wasn't really hungry!

A Friend of mine in WV - saw a pan handler with a sign that said "No job - need help"
    Well, my friend was going to help this individual get a job - but the pan handler refused.
    My friend then told him to leave or he would call the police......

So were my friend and I Kind? Would some call us mean?

(Sorry Mr. W - on some things - you just cant win!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We were at church one time and getting ready to go into a lunch that was fully prepared by the sisters... A woman came up to us men gathered around and said I need to speak to the pastor... Well he was in our group and said I'm the pastor what do you need?... She said sir I have some children who are starving and I need some money so I can go to the store and get them something to eat... He said well we won't do that but I will tell you what we will do... We are fixing to go into lunch and if you bring you and your hungry children here, they can go to the front of the line and fill their plates, we have plenty... She left and we all waited and never returned... Our pastor commented later... I guess she just wasn't hungry... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 2
  4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I worked an evening shift years ago (got off at midnight) and about 3 days a week a saw the same man panhandling at the same intersection. This went in for many months.

Finally I noticed something. About 1 block over from where he stood I always saw a rather new Ford P/U on the days he was there. The truck was never there when he wasn’t there.

I concluded, rightly or wrongly, he drive a much newer, and more expensive, vehicle than I did.

I don’t give money to panhandlers but I will point them to shelters and other services offered by the state, county, city. Only a couple of time have they taken me up on it.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mostly, I am referencing being kind on this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Syracuse, NY; newspapers followed a panhandled and found he did have a nice car and the family drove it to a nice home.

Likewise, I will not give cash directly to someone. Once, when I was driving taxi, someone asked for a dollar to buy a burger. I ran in to BK, I pad for the burger and had to one, as my dispatcher just had give me a job top ick up someone

Like Candy, I will help someone get help.
    Now, our church is extremely small - so we are unable to help someone. But our plan - when we can do so - will have our deacons take food to the house - they will look i the fridge - find out why assistance is
    needed. Maybe Mr. Jones doesnt know how to have a budget - Maybe Mrs Jones does not know how to cook. Then Mrs Deacon will teach the mother how to cook. -

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalms 133: 1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

The ultimatum in a perfect world, but this not a perfect world?

Amos 3: 3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me ask you something.

You started a thread in the “Calvinist/Arminian”forum entitled “Calvinist dead”…

Do you think your own posts in that thread were kind to people that disagree with you?

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But they can disagree kindly. It’s a fruit of the Spirit of God.

10. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tried to open their understanding that the door swings both ways. I tried to be clear and kind.

11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it certainly didn’t come across as “kind”. You mocked the responses and refused to address what was said.

No, it wasn’t “kind” at all.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're welcome to your opinion. I critiqued the responses and found them inconsistent with what Calvinists think death is. I was not unkind.

13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I specifically told you what I believed about it. Your presentation of “what Calvinist think death is” is a complete fabrication of what Calvinist think death is.

Why not just accept what was said instead of offering your own definition with an anti-doctrines of grace slant?

That would have been the kind thing to do.

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A person can repeat verbatim what a Calvinist believes and the Calvinist will always deny it.

Standard operating procedure.

If you were dead to righteousness before you are to be dead to sin now. Romans 6.

15. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    well...

16. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Already answered in #12.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What goes around comes around :Biggrin

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ever hear the song, “let’s not be beastly to the Germans?” It’s appropriate here!

19. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me say it this way: My intention was not to be unkind but to make all aware of an inconsistency.

I think I did that, and I don't think I was unkind. I did not intend to be, but maybe some interpreted it that way.

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand your belief. If “dead” in trespasses and sin means you cannot seek God, then “dead” to sin must mean you cannot sin.

I gave you scripture that shows both “dead” in trespasses and sin is taught by scripture AND that “dead” to sin does not mean you are not able to sin.

Your response to me was that you were not talking about scripture… and then you mocked the so called “Calvinist” position as inconsistent.

The “Calvinist” position is based on scripture, which you readily admit you are not talking about.

….and that is the problem and your mocking was unkind. I don’t see how anyone reading it would think otherwise.

However, you are entitled to your opinion. I will leave you to your thread. Thanks for the conversation

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1