1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Bible Inerrancy an essential?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is, in my opinion, the most important point regarding this issue.

Harold Lindsell describes well how the truth of Scripture’s inspiration logically leads to inerrancy:

However limited may have been their knowledge, and however much they erred when they were not writing sacred Scripture, the authors of Scripture, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, were preserved from making factual, historical, scientific, or other errors . . . God the Holy Spirit by nature cannot lie or be the author of untruth. If the Scripture is inspired at all it must be infallible. (The Battle for the Bible: page 30-31.)

Biblical inerrancy means the Bible contains no error. It is without error in faith and fact. If we have the self-disclosure of the holy God, it cannot be mixed with error. Error and truth cannot be contained in the same document which claims to be a self-disclosure of a holy, righteous God. If error is mixed with truth, then that is deception which violates the character of God. (Otis Yoder & Harold S. Martin, Biblical Inerrancy and Reliability, Harrisonburg VA (Fellowship of Concerned Mennonites, 1985) page 9.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point taken.

I specifically said that the NAE statement was weak. I thought it would be clear that I do not think the NAE statement requires a mode.

Okay, I'll let this one by. But the topic of the thread is not inspiration but inerrancy. Surely you will agree that the BFA of the SBC requires a belief in inerrancy.
    This doesn't fly. It is not "either loyalty to Christ or loyalty to a written document." One can be loyal to Christ without loyalty to the document (I don't like its soteriology, myself, which suggests Lordship salvation.) Or he can be loyal to the document without loyalty to Christ. Or he can be loyal to both.
    See my previous statement. The BFM is clear on inerrancy if not the mode of inspiration. So my SBC missionary acquaintances were not fired for something not in the BFM, but for not believing in inerrancy, which is in the BFM. (The husband told me himself he did not believe in inerrancy.)

Having been a missionary to Japan for 33 years, I still think it extremely strange that the SBC missionaries were not historically expected to agree with the BFM for so long. I myself was turned down by a board when I plainly said I did not agree with their doctrinal statement. Normally, that is SOP for a mission board or any other such organization.

Did I get bitter? Did I complain? No, of course not. That would have been immature. I took it as entirely normal and logical to require me to agree with their doctrinal statement.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Loyalty to a document???? Where did that come from? How about loyalty to God's words is also loyalty to God. Failure to one is failure to both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've encountered a few who post like they are #3, but I suspect we are talking past each other. There are lots of #5s, while I'm a #4.

Not to nit pick, but Baptists used to consider themselves Baptists, not evangelicals (that is, adherents of mainline churches who hold to conservative viewpoints). I have never considered myself an evangelical/Evangelical.

Glad to share the narrow way with you, brother!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's where I come from too. From my POV, Baptists historically are by definition evangelical. So, in many ways asking me if I support an Evangelical position is almost a nullity.

• Like Like x 1
  7. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excuse me?? I am well aware of these criticisms are as I did take NTI. However being more excited about theology I spend more time reading these types of books.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to mention many fundamentalists of today label anything/anyone "New Evangelical" who disagrees with them.

Personally I like to allow the man who coined the phrase to define it.

Harold Ockenga stated in the forward to "The Battle For The Bible," restate Christian theology in accordance with the need of the times, . . . reexamination of theological "problems" such as the antiquity of man, the universality of the flood, God's method of creation, and others.

He also said, "While reaffirming the theological view of fundamentalism, this address repudiated its ecclesiology and its social theory. The ringing call for a repudiation of separatism and the summons to social involvement received a hearty response from many evangelicals." (Ockenga, Foreword to The Battle for the Bible by Harold Lindsell, page 11).

Dr. Ockenga advocated what he called "Denominational infiltration" - to go back to the old, dead, mainline Protestant denominations and infiltrate them with the New Evangelical "gospel."

He went on to say, "Since I first coined the phrase “The New Evangelicalism” at a convocation address at Fuller Theological Seminary ten years ago, the evangelical forces have been welded into an organizational front. First, there is the National Association of Evangelicals which provides articulation for the movement on the denominational level; second, there is World Evangelical Fellowship which binds together these individual national associations of some twenty-six countries into a world organization; third, there is the new apologetic literature stating this point of view which is now flowing from the presses of the great publishers, including Macmillans and Harpers; fourth, there is the existence of Fuller Theological Seminary and other evangelical seminaries which are fully committed to orthodox Christianity and a resultant social philosophy; fifth, there is the establishment of Christianity Today, a bi-weekly publication, to articulate the convictions of this movement; sixth, there is the appearance of an evangelist, Billy Graham, who on the mass level is the spokesman of the convictions and ideal of the New Evangelicalism."

On the basis of the above I define New Evangelicalism as adhering to all three of the below.

(1) a repudiation of the doctrine of separation;

(2) a summons to greater social involvement; and

(3) a determination to engage in theological dialogue with Modernism.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.