1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Debating a sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by DiamondLady, May 31, 2012.

1. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Thank you, Jim, for your kindness. I did not mention it for apologies or sympathy but because it does go on, and it should not. Like you, I tend to state my point of view and move on. I don't think it accomplishes much to brow beat others with my views, as they clearly have no intentions of changing theirs to fall in line with mine and I, likely, will not change mine either. That's the beauty of opinions....we all have one!

2. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

When a discussion on the BB turns into an argument with name calling and someone questioning someone's Christianity because of disagreeing, then it's time to close that topic. That is no way for people claiming to be Christians to behave, and it's a sorry testimony for anyone seeking Biblical answers to questions they have.

I'm reminded of a man I was told about who sat in a bar with a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other telling the woman on the seat next to him that he was a Christian. I can't say if either of those (smoking or drinking alcohol) is sin, but what kind of testimony does that man have if he is born again?

Another man one time told me "I'm a Christian, too." Then he proceeded to use God's name in vain. How many unsaved people would come to him seeking answers about forgiveness and salvation and the fact that God's word says that we become "new creatures in Christ"?

If we call ourselves Christians, then we need to SHOW that we are Christians. Can others see Jesus in me? Can others see Him in you? We are told in God's word to live in such a way that others will see Jesus in us and want to know Him. We are also told to "Be ready to give an answer to the hope that is within us." However, if the unsaved don't see any difference between the way we live and the way they live, why would they seek answers from us?

Does seeing and hearing "Christians" arguing and calling each other derogatory names show the love of Christ, and will it bring others to Christ or drive them away?

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's Two Who Think Alike...

I also need to add...that during the course of discussions [debating] some have gone so low as to hurl slurs at my abilities as an author. This is not debating. It is an intent to hit at the credibility and integrity of the person and their ministry, and it is just plain wrong.

Why should it matter if I'm self-published or published by a major publishing house? The difference in royalties is eye-popping. The several books that I have with major publishers net me less that $.90 per book. My net royalty on self-publishing is eight times that. It is a matter of principle and finances. As the author of the book, I deserve to get my fair share for the intellectual property of my efforts, talents and skills.

IMHO - those who question where I publish a book may be a little envious, and envy is a sin. Still, the damage is done, as their caddy words and comments are in cyber space for others to read, and decide in regard to my books being inferior because they are "Self-published!"

DL - I am so sorry that you, as a woman, have been asked to leave. You have every right to be here and to share your views and opinions as the next person. And in the words of my wife, let me say this to you, DL, "You go girl!" :thumbsup:

These are some of the atrocities that take place by the name of "debating?" And it reflects poorly on the name of Jesus, and the Baptist church in general!

4. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

As was stated before, what goes on on this forum most times is not debating. Most of the time it is arguing. The tactics used on this forum would not be allowed in a refereed debate. Red Herrings, Strawmen, personal attacks, attacking someone's grammar instead of dealing with the point, ignoring a question to pose your own, repeatedly saying the same thing instead of advancing the discussion or answering the position, or saying the same thing again slightly differently. All of these are used extensively on this board. It's enough to drive one crazy.