1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is God not sovereign in a Christan's life after we are saved?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Revmitchell, Apr 29, 2022.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said, I think in my first response on this thread, you’re understanding of reformed theology concerning God’s sovereignty is very different from mine. I don’t believe God makes us robots and programs what we believe. If you think that’s how “reformed” sovereignty works, then it is logical to conclude what you have in this OP. But I believe your foundational premise is wrong.

Peace to you

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    sigh you can word it however you want but regenerating you so you can believe is much like a robot. But i never used that analogy. To suggest that one chooses based on their nature is not a choice. Fixing their nature to only choose one way with no ability to choose otherwise is not a choice. With all that being true my point stands. All the talk of God being sovereign in salvation and none of man else God isnt soveriegn is inconsistent with how God deals with man after salvation. Why doesnt God act as sovereign with man after salvation and elect him to reformed theology? If reformed theology is correct doesnt God want man to have correct theology the same way He wants them to be saved? Has God failed? Why has God blessed you with reformed theology and not me? Is He not also sovereign in our ability to understand theology in the same way He is sovereign in salvation?

#122 Revmitchell, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
  3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several things here. I’ll be as brief as possible.

You said “fixing their nature so they can only chose one way…. is not a choice”.

God created Adam and Eve with a nature that allowed obedience to His commands. Had He “fixed” their nature to only obey, then you would have a point.

After the fall, their “fixed nature” cannot be blamed on God. It is the consequences of the fall that “fixes” our nature.

God determined what would be the consequences of the fall, the separation and inability, but He did not cause the fall.

When i say salvation is “none of man” I do not mean a person has no part. That “part” is responding to God’s intervention in their lives with faith in Jesus.

As I have said, I base what I believe on scripture. It is clear to me, scripture supports reformed theology. It is also clear to me, scripture does not support the idea that if others don’t believe reformed theology they are unsaved.

I have given scripture that supports both views.

Beyond that, I cannot explain why God has not yet led all to believe reformed theology nor will I guess.

peace to you

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the light of how sobering the subject of eternal salvation is, George, I make such statements very carefully...
    Yet, I refuse to be less than honest in my opinions ( when I care to share them ), much the same way that I see you not being reluctant to hold back on yours, if you believe the situation warrants it.

I also know that I may be wrong in judging someone who rejects what you call "Calvinism" at this point in their lives, as not saved and having their name written in the Book of Life.
    Which is my right to do so.

It's also my right, under God, to hope that you and everyone else who does not yet see and understand the details of how and why anyone is saved ( according to what is written on the pages of such letters as Romans, Ephesians, 2 Thessalonians and others ), that they one day come to that knowledge.

If that doesn't sit well with you, then I am sorry for that;
    it's not because I want to offend you that I say these things...

But I simply will not accede to the idea that there are multiple "faiths" in the body of Christ,
    Multiple and accepted doctrines that are often 180 degrees opposed to one another, and that "we are all brothers and sisters in Christ" because we all confess Him as Lord and Master despite never ( and I mean never ) coming into the unity of the faith as individuals, and never ( and I mean never ) reaching agreement on what, exactly, constitutes sound doctrine.

That said, I will make no more replies to you in this thread, sir.

As always, I wish God's blessings upon you.

#124 Dave G, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

AMEN!!!!
    Dear brother....AMEN!