1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is God not sovereign in a Christan's life after we are saved?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Revmitchell, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is God not sovereign after we are saved? Does he choose to minimize His sovereignty in our lives once we are born again? Since I do not believe in the reformed soteriology has God failed in His sovereignty to lead me to right and proper doctrine?

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

No. But He will 'minimize' His blessings when He deems fit.

Very wrong question posited from a very wrong attitude. You should ask yourself why He hasn't blessed you to see it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read the title and the op and this may be the dumbest question ever asked at the BB.

Regardless of anyone's opinion, God is 100% Sovereign over every aspect of His creation at all times.

We can now close the thread. The answer has been given.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This assumes it is true and is not a reasonable response. It gives the appearance that once just wants to shut down discussion about this. It lacks genuineness.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My question is born out of what appears to be a lack of trust in the Sovereignty of God by reformed folks due to an inconsistency in their soteriological positions.

If God is only sovereign when He alone acts to impart a regenerated soul for salvation, then why is God still sovereign when He doesn't act alone in our lives to believe in correct doctrine?

If you hold to the ideas only God can act in our salvation but refuse to hold to that on what we believe after we are saved then it is inconsistent. In order to be consistent if one believes in the first then one must also hold to the idea that anyone who is not reformed in soteriology is not saved. There may be more options but I am not seeing them. Maybe you can enlighten me on any other options available to keep reformed soteriology in the consistent camp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. you asked:

"...has God failed in His sovereignty to lead me to right and proper doctrine?"

I consider it a blessing from God to take repose in the doctrine of His sovereign grace. For some reason you haven't been blessed to do that, thus the question:

"...why He hasn't blessed you to see it?"

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't He want everyone to have correct doctrine? Does he not want to His children to believe correctly about Him? When they do not why is He not sovereign in the same fashion reformed folks believe he is when they look at salvation?

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ taught in parables, why?

Though these doctrines of grace are not in riddles and dark sayings but are clearly plainly taught and many choose to reject them, why?

9. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well according to your reformed theology it is because God has not allowed them to do so. So the question remains, Why not?
    Since God desire for all His children to have a right relationship with Him and yet many do not the question for you is how is this possible under your calvinist theology?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is sovereign.

I do not see where Scripture reveals God's sovereignty to be conditional or to apply only in certain situations or circumstances.

You not believing Reformed theology has nothing to do with God's sovereignty. Scripture places men as sovereign over their thoughts, God over the outcome.

Reformed Theology is just Roman Catholic theology once removed (twice removed for Reformed Baptists as they do not technically hold Reformed Theology). It's kinda cool, very simplistic, and wrong.

11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is Sovereign! Always! For all time!
    Problem is, Calvinists think Sovereign means micromanaging dictator. It does not.
    If God could not grant free will, He would not be Sovereign.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

He was sovereign before you got saved

13. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good thing Calvinists don't claim that ;)

14. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    The free will of the calvinists is not free will. If you only have the option of saying NO that is not free will but then again if you only have the option of saying YES it is not free will either. Free will is having the option of saying YES or NO.

The basis or ground of human responsibility is human ability. Even though man does have a free will, he has no capacity for saving himself. Eph_2:8 God graciously draws people to Himself, Joh_12:32 but free will is the means by which salvation is received. Eph_1:13

#14 Silverhair, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok completely ignored the actual question and then gave an unhelpful response.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly to add to that if He could not grant free will and still be sovereign then He is not sovereign.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep that in mind as you read threads on here. They devolve into if man can choose, God is not Sovereign. Thanks for making my point, some of the "Calvinists" on here are ridiculous and the echo chamber does not call them out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must also remember, I believe Calvinists do believe in free will. We just look at the reality of free will and not an absolute free will without influences.

19. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It may be you have an inaccurate understanding of reformed theology and God’s work in salvation.

Some continuously argue that if God is sovereign in salvation, per reformed theology, the person becomes a robot, an automaton; and doesn’t come to Christ of their own “freewill”

So, if you come to the discussion thinking reformed theology means a person’s mind is completely controlled by God, it makes sense to think God would program all His “robots” to think alike.

If I have misunderstood your position I apologize in advance.

Personally, I pray God have more control of my mind. I would desire nothing other than having the mind of Christ 100% of the time.

Unfortunately, we live this treasure in earthen vessels.

peace to you

20. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    You keep referring to "absolute free" but there is no such thing, except for God. You deny that man has a God given free will which means that you have to deny many texts of scripture, but you do not seem to have a problem with that.

• Agree Agree x 2