1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is GW Bush an authentic Christian!?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Jay and Kelly, Nov 20, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I stated that Christ is what matters.

I also believe that Christ is part of the God head. It does not change the fact that the Old Testament, the Torah and the Quran are all based on the same original scriptures.

Are they drastically altered due to false religions? Yes. Then again, so are the New Testament scriptures.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

For those just arriving, it was on the previous page.

3. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Well ... No, not at all. The Torah is a part of the OT, or sometimes "Torah" is used to refer to the whole OT. The Quran is something entirely different.

Furthermore your comment, "Are they drastically altered due to false religions? Yes. Then again, so are the New Testament scripture" is confusing. The NT is not drastically altered, much less due to false religions.

4. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

This is the portion of the article that we may have a different take on , Pastor Larry.
    You may see it as a personal opinion of Seymour Hersh but what I see it as Hersh simply quoting and anonymous source.

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Per the President himself:

"Actually, the seeds of my decision had been planted the year before, by the Reverend Billy Graham. He visited my family for a summer weekend in Maine. I saw him preach at the small summer church, St. Ann's by the Sea. We all had lunch on the patio overlooking the ocean. One evening my dad asked Billy to answer questions from a big group of family gathered for the weekend. He sat by the fire and talked. And what he said sparked a change in my heart. I don't remember the exact words. It was more the power of his example. The Lord was so clearly reflected in his gentle and loving demeanor.

The next day we walked and talked at Walker's Point, and I knew I was in the presence of a great man. He was like a magnet; I felt drawn to seek something different. He didn't lecture admonish; he shared warmth and concern. Billy Graham didn't make you feel guilty; he made you feel loved.

Over the course of that weekend, Reverend Graham planted a mustard seed in my soul, a seed that grew over the next year. He led me to the path, and I began walking. It was the beginning of a change in my life.I had always been a "religious" person, had regularly attended church, even taught Sunday School and served as an altar boy. But that weekend my faith took on a new meaning. It was the beginning of a new walk where I would commit my heart to Jesus Christ.

was humbled to learn that God sent His Son to die for a sinner like me. I was comforted to know that through the Son, I could find God's amazing grace, a grace that crosses every border, every barrier and is open to everyone. Through the love of Christ's life, I could understand the life changing powers of faith.

When I returned to Midland, I began reading the Bible regularly. Don Evans talked me into joining him and another friend, Don Jones, at a men's community Bible study. The group had first assembled the year before, in Spring of 1984, at the beginning of the downturn in the energy industry.

It goes on....talking about the value of bible study to him. Talking about how much prayer means to him.

He talks about the fact that faith cannot be forced politically. That the faith of others must be treated with respect.

He talks of his visit to the Holy Lands and how moved he was to stand where Christ gave the Sermon on the Mount, how Christ was the culmination of everything the prophets foretold. How Christ is the great Shepherd. How there is only one true faith.

He states plainly " In a perfect world, life is given by God and only taken by God."

He talks about how the people are starved for faith, how they NEED God in their lives.

He talks about how Moses never said, "Sorry, God, I'm too busy."

He talks about how America NEED God.

Sounds like a Christian to me.

6. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

Actually Moses did not want to be chosen to lead and had come up with many excuses not to.
    I don't know if the President is truly Christian no one can say. There are times when has acted Un-Christian but haven't we all slipped up from time to time?

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If anyone knows of someone who would make a perfect President, I suggest you discourage that person from becoming President and ruining that perfect perception.

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

That's why I haven't run yet John ... :D

9. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Rocko - The President actually made the reference while stating that HE did not want to run for Governor of Texas OR for President of the United States. A minister talked him into it, pointing out to him that Moses was also afraid to lead, but he did not refuse to lead.

I believe the President's testimony.

10. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

And as Paul Harvy would say, "Now you know---- the rest of the story." [​IMG]

11. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

So you're saying that when Moslems pray facing Mecca 5 times a day they are praying to the same God we do? And that t5he path to salvation described in the Koran is authentic even though it doesn't rely on Christ's death on Calvary?

I don't buy it. I'll just stick to that Old Time Religion. Oh, and what I said was based on watching a video of George Bush saying just that in an ABC News interview. That's straight from the horses mouth.

12. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

We could just as easily ask:

"Is Jimmy Carter an authentic Christian???"

He has consistantly criticized the Iraelis while justifying the violence of Yassar Arafat, "He may well see the suicide attacks as one of the few ways to retaliate against his tormentors, to dramatize the suffering of his people..."

"If I get back in, I`m going to f--- the Jews."
    - Jimmy Carter, March 1980 at a meeting with his senior political advisors.

The Jimmy who was so chummy with Communist totalitarian Daniel Ortega..

The Jimmy who gave away the Panama Canal..

And the Jimmy who has traveled the globe criticizing Pres Bush and his policies, doing his best to undermine him.

Now, I'm not saying Carter isn't an "authentic" Christian, that is for the Lord to judge. But if you say that you are judging Bush by his fruits, you could do the same regarding Jimmy and his policies & statements.

Just remember that presidents, like the rest of us are only human.

13. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I'm judging Bush by what he said on national television. What would it take for you to question his faith? For him to come out and say that the whole Christianity thing was an act to get votes? Or that he worships the Devil? Or that Jesus Christ was just an ordinary man and not the Son of God?

14. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Well, he has stated his belief in Jesus Christ many times. He prays daily, reads the Bible, and seeks God's will. That pretty well tells me Bush is a Christian. You are entitled to see things otherwise

15. jereome

jereome New Member

No correction he allegedly prays daily, reads his Bible and seeks God's will but you have absolutely no way to prove this without actually knowing the man personally.

What we can do is look at the fruits and currently the fruits do not look good at all.

For instance Clinton was seen many times entering a Church while on the news yet as Christians nobody here would even go to bat for the old president and argue his Christian values.

Yet our current president is practically worshipped by the conservative Bush supporters in that they REFUSE to see any evidence of wrongdoing on his part and excuse the evidence that they cant explain away.

So please explain to me why torture is an acceptable Christian value that a Christian should participate in?

Apparantly your definition of Christian is quite liberal today.

16. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

No correction he allegedly prays daily, reads his Bible and seeks God's will but you have absolutely no way to prove this without actually knowing the man personally.

What we can do is look at the fruits and currently the fruits do not look good at all.

For instance Clinton was seen many times entering a Church while on the news yet as Christians nobody here would even go to bat for the old president and argue his Christian values.

Yet our current president is practically worshipped by the conservative Bush supporters in that they REFUSE to see any evidence of wrongdoing on his part and excuse the evidence that they cant explain away.

So please explain to me why torture is an acceptable Christian value that a Christian should participate in?

Apparently your definition of Christian is quite liberal today.
    </font>[/QUOTE]NO!
    [​IMG]
    NO!
    [​IMG]
    NO!
    [​IMG]
    NO!

get ready for the talking point onslaughts ..bush
    has saved the economy...bush has saved gas prices....bush this and that...to save his sorry
    management of this country...nothing about the
    360 billion in Iraq and billions missing...if it
    were Clinton they would be talking impeachment.

He is a baby christian and God will judge him first before an unbeliever and if he has deceived
    he will be judged and judged accordingly...their
    must be consequences...he is not above God.

The consequences of deception is loss of trust

17. jereome

jereome New Member

[​IMG]

Actually I think this is a more appropriate picture but then again I guess every questionable thing that the president does surely must be some leftist plot.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious, ASLANSPAL, since you seem to think that you have the inside scoop on the judgment of George W. Bush, would you like to tell us how God is going to judge you?

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the Democrats win control of the Congress in 2006 I fully expect that to happen in 2007.

20. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I do not doubt Clinton's Christianity any more than I do George W. Bush's.