Is infant baptism from the Bible?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Hobie, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is John 20:31 in Catholic bible?

2. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, of course.

Is Mark 16:16 in your Bible?

3. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note that believing is what saves us, not the water itself!

4. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you know what the word "AND" means?

"Believes AND IS BAPTIZED"!

Christianity 101.

5. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same Apostle tells you in Ephesians 2, which clarifies the point for you. But, your tunnel vision makes it hard for you to accept.

6. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not believing render baptism null and void, so its believing, not the water that saves!

7. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell me what the evidence is that an infant believes so that s/he should be baptized.

8. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where does Ephesians 2 state you do not need the virtue of hope? I don't see it. Please post it for me.

9. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What does the word "AND" mean?

10. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't it the Lutherans that hold that in water baptism God actually makes babies have saving faith, while Rome states power in the water itself?

11. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One can be water baptized and still go to Hell, while none trusting in Jesus to save them ever will!

12. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Idk but ur wasting ur time

13. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One can trust Jesus then fall away. That's why it's presumptuous to judge yourself to be saved.

Google ---> Judas Iscariot

14. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It says we are saved by grace through faith. The hope that is talked about in Romans 8 is the hope that what God has done is true.
    Read after your verse to see how God has elected and predestined his children to salvation. It's right there, yet you ignore it like a plague.

15. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Who denies that we are saved by grace through faith? The Apostle is explicit...

Ephesians 2:8-10 ---> "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

We are saved by grace and grace is NOT (an absolute negative) a work man does. Rather, it is a gift of God. This is Christianity 101.

Notice what St. Paul does not say: He does not say we are saved by faith alone. For as Romans 8 states...

Romans 8:24 ---> "For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?"

You continue to conflate the virtue of faith with the virtue of hope. They are not the same, as the Apostle clearly teaches in 1 Cor 13. And as Romans 8 teaches, we must have hope. For if we are already saved, then hope is futile, as hope is the expectation of something we do not yet possess. Hope, by its very nature, is concerned with something in the future. It is concerned for that which we we are not certain. If we already possess something, there is not need for hope. For example, we do not say, "I hope I am alive right now." Hence, the virtue of hope is futile in Protestantism if you have already judged yourself to possess salvation.

16. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Judas never once declared that Jesus was God and Redeemer of the promise.
    Instead, the Bible declares that Judas was a thief, a traitor and that he was created and chosen for his role in betraying the Christ.
    It is foolish to say that Judas was saved and then fell away when the Bible never makes that proclamation.

May I ask you, why do you want, so much, to have the power to unsave yourself?

17. Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Judas, before he would "fall away" (Acts 1:25), was called the following by our Blessed Lord / Scripture:

- A "disciple" (Mt. 10:1)
    - An "Apostle" (Mt. 10:2-4)
    - "One of the twelve" (Luke 22:47)
    - Sent "to proclaim the Kingdom of God" (Luke 9:2)
    - "Chosen" (John 6:70)
    - A "sheep" (Mt. 10:16)
    - A "friend" (Mt. 26:50)

Furthermore, Judas was predestined to reign and rule with Christ...

"So Jesus said to them, 'Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.'" Matthew 19:28

In Psalm 41:9 ---> “Yea, mine own familiar friend in whom I trusted which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.”

Calvinism destroyed ---> 1. One cannot "fall away" (Acts 1:25) from that which one never belonged. 2. Judas not only resisted grace, but he resisted He who is the source of all grace.

This is a non-sequitur (straw man).

Incidentally, if man is not free, he cannot be culpable for his actions, whether they be good or evil acts. Thus man cannot be rewarded for good acts, nor condemned for evil acts. You cannot have a moral universe without being free. Furthermore, if man is not free, he is not able to love. God did not make androids; He made man.

Paradoxically, to believe otherwise, makes the Incarnation itself an act contra-Logos.

"Why, then, did God give them free will? Because free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having." - C.S. Lewis

18. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You ignore the whole passage. Why is that?

Romans 8:23-39 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience. Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

19. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Judas was created to betray the Creator.

Matthew 26:25 Judas, who would betray him, answered, “Is it I, Rabbi?” He said to him, “You have said so.”

John 17:12 While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.

Acts 1:16-20 “Brothers, the Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke beforehand by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus. For he was numbered among us and was allotted his share in this ministry.” (Now this man acquired a field with the reward of his wickedness, and falling headlong he burst open in the middle and all his bowels gushed out. And it became known to all the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that the field was called in their own language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.) “For it is written in the Book of Psalms, “‘May his camp become desolate, and let there be no one to dwell in it’; and “‘Let another take his office.’

Romans 9:15-24 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills. You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?

20. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"Judas was created to betray the Creator."

You can't betray a person unless you were legit part of their crew.

Judas is the epitome of betrayal. If he was never legit then its just a spy or infiltrator doing his thing. That is not a TRAITOR.

To be a TRAITOR and BETRAY you have to be 100% on the right team.