1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it manditory For A man To be married To be Pastor?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JesusFan, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

What happens if a pastor's wife suddenly dies. Should he immediately resign his office in shame, or should he perhaps quickly run off with one of the unmarried secretaries? :laugh:

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Yep, I do it everyday. My wife and I disagree often. :)

If I were in a church with you I'd probably submit my will to yours and limit our choices to only married men, because you seem to have a strong conviction and I wouldn't want to cause you to stumble or cause unnecessary strife in our fellowship. That is what being a family is all about.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...so did Martha, she was even barking orders to Jesus...was she qualified? :D

...to a degree, but a man is still the leader over someone he loves and cares for, what the Lord is looking for in caring for amd loving on His family (theres that v.5 again :))
    having a wife shows a man is committed to voluntarily lead, care for, love and support another
    who is looking to them for support. A single man does not have this experience.

4. Skandelon

And Paul clearly loved the people in the churches he started.
    So does being a Godly minister in a lessor role of the body for a time, but as I said to Free, we'll just agree to disagree.

Who knows you won me over on the toilet paper role thing, you may win me over on this too. :smilewinkgrin:

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not a problem, as we see it's a pretty broad manner of interpretation. I don't think Paul is the best example to use, though. Everything about his ministry is unique.

you tried it? Having a son who is just learning to wipe his own butt I also found the added benefit of a clean tear and not shredded from over the top :)

6. mandym

mandym New Member

No////////////

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Based on the text the intent of the qualifications are given so that the church has a man who is qualified to lead the church, dealing with all the problems that arise so thta the church grows into maturity. The part about him being married is a preparation for such as well as a determining factor for the church to use in deciding if this man is capable for the task. if a man cannot lead his own household how can he lead the house of God?
    I am afraid that today far too many churches are being led by men that miss the qualifications laid out in scripture and the church is suffering dearly for it.
    So to your question. We will assume that the man in question met all the qualifications that our Lord gives and was leading the church into maturity. The fact that his wife dies doe not disqualify him as he is no less sound in his manner of leading before the her death. So he is not disqualified.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Well perhaps the word of God is wrong and you have found a higher standard.

9. Skandelon

No, that response is something I actually learned in the scriptures. Read Romans 14.

10. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

maybe he found a better interpretation of the passage and meaning that Apostle and Jesus intended for it!

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I don't see any correlation. What are you referring to?

12. Skandelon

I'm referring to Paul's response to those who disagree with him over disputable matters. He responds to those who don't eat meat in the same manner I would choose to respond to you regarding this matter if we were in the same church so as to keep the peace and not cause anyone to stumble.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Thank you for the explaination. I agree.

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I'm wondering out loud here, but how much of the insistence that a pastor be married stems from an anti-Catholic bias and not just the Scriptures, which seem to offer some leeway in the issue?

And with that thought, let's not re-hash what has already been said above. I know the qualifications of an elder or a deacon from the texts in Scripture that mention them. As has been said above, if that is the stipulation, then children living in the home are also a requirement, which would disqualify many a pastor. I'm not set out against Scripture at all, but I think that there has been an "argument from silence" fallacy made in some of this debate.

15. JesusFan

Agreed, seems to be reflecting 'fear" of catholic view on being celibate to serve Lord...

Why would it be a violation to have a single celibate man serve as pastor. as both jesus and paul said that was a calling/Gift from the Lord and to be perferred?

IF worried not able to relate to family situations, would that mean jesus could not 'relate?"

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

One of the most ridiculous things I have read lately...fear of catholicism? :laugh:
    Let's let Scripture tell you (which Paul penned, ironically)
    (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?)
    Non Sequiter

17. JesusFan

IF jesus was qualified, why not all of his people who are He was/is "married" to God?

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Must one be married with children to have a household (oikos)? How about Lazarus/Mary/Martha?

19. JesusFan

Are we SURE paul was not giving guidelines to those applicants who were married? Not saying ONLY married could be pastors?

20. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Not precisely the way you state it. Rather, a fear of identifying with a doctrine that is seen as primarily Catholic. I have seen that fear expressed often and with force both here and elsewhere. In fact, many a "traditional" Baptist doctrine is precisely a reaction against a corresponding RC doctrine, which at the end of the day may be a horrible way to formulate doctrines that effect the work of the church.

Does a man without wife and children still have a household to manage? Seemingly so, unless he lives in a monastery and that is handled for him.

I have just demonstrated why this is not a non sequitur.