1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it manditory For A man To be married To be Pastor?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JesusFan, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I think the more realistic fear is the concern over a single man not being about to handle his marital "desires." I know because I've talked to serval churches who rule out single men, not because of this verse, but because of this concern.

Not saying I agree with it, but it is a reality.

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

And, that is a valid concern! God knows how many pastors have been pulled from the pulpit because of illicit affairs with women in the church, but there seems to be more "married" men that fall prey to this issue than single men, or at least as is commonly reported.

The singles I know who are involved in marriage seem to be more careful about guarding themselves than the married men. Just the other night we held a Community Group leader's meeting (the men who lead the groups in our region of the city) and of them, one was single. His great concern was for his piety in regards to sexual sin, and yes, he is searching for a bride, but in the mean time, he is serving the Lord in church work, and finishing his seminary degree. The married men admitted (myself included) to having the same issues, but that we had an outlet in the biblically described manner -- we could turn to our wives. We had compassion on the young man who needs to find his wife!

Could not a single pastor find his God-given mate while serving in a local church, even as senior pastor? What is it about the pulpit in particular that singles out (pun intended...) a man as different than the same man who is still in the youth group doing the same thing?

As I said above, there is a test for true God-given celibacy as cited by Dr. Mohler. "If you wake up in the morning with the 'man problem' find a wife..." :laugh:

I would presume that is most of us... :laugh:

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Let's say you are correct, even though from scrpture you are not, for a minute and a man does not have to be married. Tell us how from scripture you would determind this;
    One that ruleth well his own house
    (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are corrupting the text. It is not about his ability to remain pure. It is about his ability to rule over his household. That is why it mentioned children. If a man of God can show that his children are kept in line with godly standards then he shows that he is qualified in that area to lead the church of God if he meets the other qualifications as well.

This is just more of the same of not believing that God's standards are as high as they are. Compromise because of lacking faith in what the word says is destroying the church. If the scriptures were obeyed then the church would be being led by God instead of men and even more important many in the pastorate would have to step down as they do not meet the qualifications. They can still serve in other areas but in the area of Pastorate it requires exactly what is given. There is no hidden wording or some special book needed to translate the scriptures on this matter. Just obey it.

#84 freeatlast, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2011
  5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Just so that you know, I am not arguing for solely single pastors! I fully believe that most men should be married and that we should follow the biblical mandate "to be fruitful, multiply, and fill the earth."

I just do not see a litmus test in regards to a pastor fitting that narrow mold that you have suggested.

Even a single man has an "oikos" and he must rule it well.

And, you have innocently disqualified a great number of pastors from every stepping into the pulpit because they may not have children for any number of reasons, infertility, lack of finances, just not the proper time yet, age, or some other reason. If that is what you are truly saying, then there is a lot of re-arranging to happen in the church across the world, and as i anticipate your response, that would be fine with you because you most likely feel that your current church expression is the correct one and all others should mirror it.

Dare we divide Scripture on this issue, where both Jesus and noted apostles, some of whom were called "elder" were not married yet both carried out church work, pastoral work, church planting and missionary work, and also said that it would be best for the sake of the kingdom if a person was not married. Marriage is great. Perhaps God's greatest gift and according to Paul the issue most like Christ's relationship with the church (Eph 5). But perhaps not required for all who might lead God's church.

I am merely leaving open the potential that a rare few might indeed have that gift of celibacy and can yet lead God's people. That does not even mean that I advocate the practice -- I don't -- but only that it is possible.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

My brother you are not getting it. The Lord did not give it because some men cannot be as He calls for while single. He called for this because it is impossible to determine if they are (it is a protection) unless he is married and proves he is qualified to be a Pastor. The problem here is not about ability but about rebellion and not wanting to wait on the Lord by obeying His standards.

An example is this. I know of women who can lead and preach as good as any man. Yet the fact that they can do it still does not justify them to go ahead and be a pastor. They are in sin every one of them. The same is with every man who accepts the pastorate who is not married. He is in sin and every church that accepts that man is in the same sin. No exceptions! So if a church has a pastor that does not regard the word of God and the church does not regard the word of God why would they expect God to direct them? There is no reason to expect leading of the Spirit. All they have is the abilities of a man and that is a bad trade off.
    Wait I tell you wait on the Lord!

#86 freeatlast, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2011
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since household is viewed in light of a family in the text, the answer is no.
    No such thing occurred.

8. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

What scripture verse prohibits a single man being called by lord as a pastor?
    need the one that specifically stated "thus sayth Lord" ONLY married will be called!

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not sure how clear MUST be the husband of one wife needs to be in order to believe it and the reason for such a requirement ((If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?)

10. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

So, you are arguing against nothing then... :laugh:

11. JesusFan

Again, paul is adressing the pastor from the position that IF he is married, than the following qualifications are in play

God is NOT saying ANYTHING on if one is single, so cannot argue against it from point of God being silent on that issue!

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dont' see an "if"...I see a "must". Surely the Holy Spirit could have inspired "if". A pastor must also be blameless and able to teach...are you going to argue the text really means "if" they are blameless and able to teach?
    V. 5 disagrees with you.

13. JesusFan

So IF a pastor lost either Wife or his children due to illness/accident...

No longer qualified to pastor, as would be 'single" again?
    have to go on a sabbatical looking for a new wife?

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This exact scenario has been thoroughly addressed already. Go back through the thread.

15. JesusFan

So IF Paul wanted to be your pastor, he was not qualified to do such?

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Without knowing if he were married (good arguments for and against this) the jury's still out. He wasn't called to be a pastor of a church for like the umpteenth time...he was called to be an apostle.