Is it really synergism?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Revmitchell, May 24, 2019.

1. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you are able to defend that claim come back and let us know.

2. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Define Calvinists... like what characteristics makes one a Calvinist?
    So by your depravity definition, when are we depraved and when are we not?

3. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never posted anything that would legitimize such a question. Very odd.

4. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. It's another example of a mixture of mind-reading and a strawman. EW&F has fixed your beliefs in his head (mind-reading) and now he wants to build a strawman so he can knock it down.

If he bothered to read what you actually had written he would see that you believe in human depravity, not in total depravity. But the blood sport of pouncing on non-Cals is strong with this one.

5. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not interested in derailing this thread, but I will say that Calvinists hold to TULIP.

6. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks

7. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean Particular Redemption?

8. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course you are wrong but we shan’t throw him off his pontificating his opinion. carry on

9. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't care if they call me a "synergist."

10. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is up to you but I already knew that. It just does not represent me.

11. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went back and read the articles at the links. Wow, talk about misrepresentation. Now I know where Calvinists get their talking points. Here's an example:

Many people do not like being labeled “Arminian” (e.g. “I am neither Calvinist or Arminian!) The reality, however, is their theology functions synergistically. Thus, how they identify themselves is inconsistent with what they teach and believe. At the end of the day, they are Arminian, whether they like it or not.

Here's a great example of a strawman from the article:
    I have never heard an Arminian pray:
    “God, only whisper in the unbeliever’s ear, but don’t change their heart unless you’ve been given permission by the unbeliever.”

At one point the author quotes John 1, but I cannot for the life of me find what translation is being employed. Probably the Calvinist's Bible:

“Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.” John 1:12-13

12. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say I was a synergist. I said I didn't care if they called me one. You let the Calvinists get in your head and mess with you.

13. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, it's the latest NIV. Incredible.

14. Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree that we are not wholly depraved.

Gen 2:9
    Out of the ground the LORD God caused to grow every tree that is pleasing to the sight and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Gen 2:17
    but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.”

Rom 2:14-15
    14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,​

We see here that we have the knowledge of GOOD and evil... not just the knowledge of evil. Additionally, we see that even the gentiles who do not have the law have God's good law written on their hearts... so they cannot be completely depraved.

15. Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Bible gives us the details on how we are adopted as children of God.

Gal 3:6-7 NASB
    6 Even so Abraham BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS. 7 Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham. 8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, [saying,] "ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU." 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer.
    16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as referring to many, but rather to one, “And to your seed,” that is, Christ.
    26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
    29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise.​

16. Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Deu 30:11-14, 19 NASB
    11 "For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach. 12 "It is not in heaven, that you should say, 'Who will go up to heaven for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?' 13 "Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, 'Who will cross the sea for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?' 14 "But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may observe it.
    19 "I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants,

Clearly, the choice for salvation is not beyond our capability... and the choice is not made in heaven.

Certainly we are not too depraved when God Himself says we are not too depraved.

17. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems like you had a conversation with Reformed where you admitted to it as well as being an Arminian.

18. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But yet you ignore Ephesians 2:1-3

19. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't admit synergism. I have always proudly and boldly proclaimed that I was a Classical Arminian. If you feel the need to call me a synergist, more power to you.

20. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh.....no