1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is it Wrong to Pray for and Desire Real Prophecy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Steven Yeadon, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we have different definitions of prophecy. I do not limit prophecy to forthtelling scripture or foretelling the future. Prophecy is a revelation from God to edify, exhort, and console believers in our present circumstances. Prophecy also convicts unbelievers in a personal way of sin, righteousness, and judgment for their salvation. Prophecy is thus a message from God to believers and unbelievers in our circumstances.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said that was the work of the Holy Spirit, thru the scriptures, not thru prophetic utterances!

3. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good points.

The Sermon on the Mount indicates we know a prophet by their obedience to Jesus. Something greedy, power hungry, and me-centered Charismatics fail at. Deuteronomy and John adds they must lead people to Yahweh and testify to Jesus Christ. Lastly, if they do give knowledge of the past, present, or future such knowledge must always be accurate.

As for adding prophecy to the scriptures, I must say that little of what most new testament prophets said is in the bible. I myself am a bit stumped by this, but not all old testament prophecy made it into the scriptures. Perhaps prophecy of scripture is different than normal prophecy.

I look forward to your reply, as some of this stuff makes me scratch my head and another POV would be helpful.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is silent today, save for the Scriptures!

5. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prophecy, in your definition, is special revelation and would mean it is on the same level as current Scripture. Is that what you are arguing for?

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope that is not the case, maybe arguing for prophecy as Dr Grudem does in his ST?

7. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not really. There were many special revelations in the old and new covenants not recorded in detail in scripture. We know nothing of what Philip's daughters prophesied for instance.

The key question I have right now is what to make of this fact theologically.

When you say equal to the scriptures, what do you mean by that? Because God has spoken many times without it being made into scripture. An account of all the things Jesus did couldn't fit in a library for instance. That said, yes a special revelation is God's words, so they are an authoritative pronouncement from Him.

8. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And those were all in a different time when God interacted with humanity differently than He does today. What possible scenario would we need special prophecy today that is not already covered in Scripture?

9. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The two witnesses, God provides DURING the Great Tribulation, provide both testimony and prophecy according to the scriptures.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will repeat a section in the OP.

I think God shows Himself to some unbelievers miraculously today to save them. Dreams and visions to Muslims for instance. I believe God shows Himself even to believers. I know stories of God talking believers severely afflicted from committing suicide. I hear of things from those persecuted or on mission overseas. Church history has a number of stories of God miraculously intervening in the lives of believers to the modern day. There is also the prophets of the early church persecuted by Rome like Perpetua.

I am a cautious continuationist that doesn't subscribe to God's personal interaction with mankind ending with the creation of our current bibles. I do so because of church history, and because the bible itself does not support such a line of thought.

As for the use of prophecy today, I can think of countless reasons why prophecy could enable the building up the church or expose the hearts of unbelievers.

11. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true. In another post a while back IIRC. Nearly everyone agreed that what you state is true. Cessationists argued the two witnesses are special, though.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, after the Church has already departed, and thus God goes back to his special means then!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God has said all that he will to us until the end time events!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God has angels also proclaiming the Gospel, so again, end time events with special means going on, nor for today!

15. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that message brand new revelation or revelation from scripture?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't understand where you are going. I am talking of prophecy as recorded in scripture. Prophecy in the bible is special revelation into a particular circumstance. If it is into our circumstances, it may be a section of the bible given in prophecy or new revelation that testifies to Jesus Christ for our edification, exhortation, and consolation.

20. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is ripped out of context. First they were asking for a sign in the heavens beyond Jesus' miracles of exorcism and healing. Second, only those with impure hearts would ask for prophecy to prove their faith.

Our first love, Yahweh, must be our first love, not the gifts. Love is also a greater gift than prophecy according to scripture.

Pentecostal and Charismatic prophecy is false prophecy. Also when I was a Charismatic Christian so called prophecy was a power trip.

I should explain that genuine prophecy, the infallible kind, is meant to build up the Body of Christ in the scriptures. The intent of biblical prophecy is to build up the Body or lead people to Jesus Christ. Thus, real prophecy isnt about the prophet but the good of the audience. In fact many prophets suffer greatly for their message. To tell people what they need to hear may get you disliked, hated, and even persecuted. Anyone who seeks revelation must be ready to carry a bigger cross.