1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is it Wrong to Pray for and Desire Real Prophecy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Steven Yeadon, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A study of church history happened. The so called ceased gifts have existed rarely. I would be profaning God and His martyrs and confessors to believe in cessationism. I chose not to do so, of course. Of course, the gifts are as they say they are in the bible to the letter.

I feel at a joyful peace now having looked and gone with the evidence.

2. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If its not equal to scripture why preach it?

Just another way scripture is marginalized in churches

3. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, long story. I was a liberal Christian theologian in training at Asbury theological seminary. I became disabled for a time and could not pursue education. 3.5 years ago in the midst of that God convicted me to go back to my conservative Baptist roots and go back to the real Jesus Christ. I consider myself an anomaly. I have a ton of biblical and theological knowledge, but I know I have more growing to do before pursuing eldership, which is my eventual goal.

4. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point, and I would say biblically we don't preach prophecy, so much as have an ordered presentation as given in 1 Corinthians. That assumes it existed in our proximity. Real tales of divine revelation are so rare they typically demand the person, usually an unbeliever brought to saving faith, travel to spread the good news God wrought in their life.

5. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suggest that you accept the study of Xian history as fallable and embrace the Bible as the Word of God and infallable.

Swallow your pride and embrace the God of Scripture. Its hard, I know, I had to do it too

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Steven Yeadon can I ask you an honest question? Please do not take this personally.

But you came on this thread asking us for our advice, insight, wisdom on this topic. Yet, you had already formulated a plan and position. When anyone is saying something against your position you are barking back. So my question is, why did you ask us if you were not going to accept anything other than your established position?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What of revelation to Muslims for their salvation? I really embraced what I believe with an honest intent. The God of scripture is someone I have become all too aware of in these last 3.5 years. Even if I am wrong it is unintentional sin.

8. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point. I have to go check something, but I'll consider what is going on and get back to you.

9. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about it?

10. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve. I am aware of the testimony of these Muslims. Before we go hog wild, lets talk to them and see what they believe

Do they believe I Cor 15:1-4?

Do they really believe that Christ died for their sins and that he was raised on the 3rd day? If so, rejoice in it. How it happened is really immaterial

A lot of Muslims have a rudimentary understanding of the Gospel.

Truly, I can hope God saves all men.

Without the Gospel, no flesh is justified. Either through reading the Bible or through the preaching of the Gospel

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, ive witnessed to Muslims, and they have a lot of issues w basic Bible Doctrine

Virgin Birth
    Resurrection
    Penal Substitution

For starters

12. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, the idea of a loving God is totally alien to Muslims

13. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK I get it. I was convicted through a an actual miracle and revelatory experiences to come to Christ. I have something in common with those Muslims that report the same. I see that my story needs to be explained. I hid it for years out of fear, but I see that is sin. My story must be tested and shared.

I will explain my story of coming to saving faith in another thread I'll start. It could take a few days to write it up. I turn to work this weekend so I need it done by Saturday.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I am interested in your story. I have a theory but I'm going to wait to share that until I actually read your account.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why pursue it as a goal? God is Sovereign. If He wills you to be an elder He will accomplish it. Otherwise you are seeking a position by your own human efforts, which is a very dangerous thing for the body of Christ.
    My admonition is to be content and rest deeper in Christ. If God wills you to shepherd, you will. If He doesn't and you attempt to shepherd out of His will, you will be miserable and the body will suffer.

16. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy 3:1 NASB
    It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do.

Though, if I had one job it would be working for a church.

17. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Finish the passage...

1 Timothy 3:1-7 The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God’s church? He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.

Remember that it was the already established elders who watched and chose the elders. Paul lays out requirements that make for an elder. In a Godward church the process will take years of observation.
    You mention your conversion is 3.5 years ago. Have you been a member at the same church all this time, being mentored by Godly elders? Can the congregation see your Godward life? Are your children walking in faith? Is your house in order?
    Again, my counsel is to rest deeply in Christ. Let God work in you and know that if God wills, God will appoint you an elder. Don't force your way through impatience. It will not go well.
    Let the Master appoint your place at the table. Don't push to sit at the front of the table.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Of course. But it's also good to observe that's it's not happening now. The proof is in history and in the second rate pathetic prophecies being put forth by phony self-proclaimed apostles.

But if you truly believe that Pentecost-like miracles are continuing, please share. What have you observed?

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are to test the spirits as in evaluating any written or spoken word against the scriptures, but that would be in the case of speaking from the scriptures, not as in fresh revelation directly from God!

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul was the last Apostle commissioned by Jesus, period! John wrote down the final revelation from God to us in Revelation, period!
    You are now sounding like when the Mormons and Sda accept their bogus revelations as truth!

• Like Like x 1