1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Lordship Salvation a misnomer?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bro. Ruben, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

[Q]Again, to my knowledge I haven't used the term cheap grace (sic). If you can find where I have I'm mistaken.[/Q]

In fact, I have twice cited 'chapter and verse' where the term "cheap grace" was used by you in this thread. For the third time:

[Q] The Church has definitely slipped into easy-believerism and cheap grace. (My emphasis- Ed). It's definitely sad to see but it's up to every true Christian to fight this false gospel at every opportunity. Contrary to what most want to believe, being a Christian is not easy and requires perseverence. No I'm not perfect but I'm getting better every day because my role model is perfect. [/Q] I cite the location for the second time, as well as with the words immediately following in my own post:

"This is the last paragraph of your post of March 03, 2006 - 10:19 PM.

I have responded to this once, including quoting your quote, but I guess you were just too busy to read it, what with helping God and all, so I'll repeat it hoping you can actually find the time :D to read what I write, as opposed to what you have already decided I'm saying. Here we go again, with my own quote:..."

I don't think I deserve to be charged with blasphemy for something I didn't say. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I agree. I, in fact, would add I don't think ANYONE deserves to be so charged! I have not 'had anyone' "charged with blasphemy" "for something (he or she) didn't say", or even did say. You may or may not well be a modern day Martin Luther or Michael Servitus. Regardless, I am neither a modern day Johann Eck nor John Calvin.
    I did make (and stand by) the statement of:
    I made the statement exactly as found above. I guess if one chooses to persist in using and identifying with what I described as "the straw man of "cheap grace".", and assumes that my indignation at the use of that term, as I have described, is tantamount to being "charged with blasphemy", that is a choice they make for themselves.

But I have not leveled the charge of blasphemy against anyone, even though I have been sorely tempted multiple times, I admit, and having nothing to do with this particular thread.

Hebrews 10:28-31 states:
    " 28 Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses. 29 How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has spurned the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him who said, "Vengeance is mine; I will repay." And again, "The Lord will judge his people." 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (ESV)
    Matthew 12:31-32 states:
    " 31 Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come. " (ESV)

God, the Holy Spirit, is called the "Spirit of Grace" here in Heb. 10:29, and in Zech.12:9. I assume He is the one spoken of in both passages I cited. 'Sanctified' is in the passive voice, here, and aorist tense, here referring to a past point of time. These were already sanctified; it was a 'done deal'. And we have these admonitions. I take them seriously; i suggest others do as well.

That said, if one therefore chooses to consider this as a charge of blasphemy, which I have never made, don't blame me. Blame the one who is the author of Scripture, or blame another, whoever that may be.

(FTR, the ESV is not the version I normally use, but chose it here, for it will "copy and paste" faithfully, unlike some others, including my usual NKJV, or the KJV, among others, which will not allow the italicized words to 'italicize'.)

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"The last shall be first."

" Do you believe that those who make the flesh their lord are saved? "

As I have previously stated in this very post, "I have never questioned anyone's 'salvation' "on this board"." I will go further than that. To my recollection, I have not questioned anyone's salvation, per se, ever, as to decide whether or not one is saved. That is not my department.

I do not hold the Book of Life; I can neither enter anyone, nor blot out their name; That is not part of my job description, nor calling, (although I have met many over the years who apparently had access to the book or some extra insight I did not posess, for they seemed to think it was theirs) and I do not consider it a goal of mine as "I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (Phil'p. 3:14- KJV) My 'job' is to present the truth; be instant in season; etc. I shall attempt to do my job; I am content to let The Holy Spirit do His, and I'll try not to confuse the two.

For example, were I had to have made the evaluation, I'm pretty sure I would not rate Lot among the saved, and I'm certain that he would not have been the individual I named as righteous three times, and beyond certain that he would have been the only individual in the Bible I would have specifically identified as "Godly." God, however, saw this differently. I think I'll go along with his judgement.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"You have not agreed that "we are to serve the Lord Jesus Christ"."

This is a false statement.

I previously wrote,
    " I have responded to this once,... but I guess you were just too busy to read it, what with helping God and all, so I'll repeat it hoping you can actually find the time :D to read what I write, as opposed to what you have already decided I'm saying. (It would appear that your workload has not been greatly diminished. My addition- Ed) Here we go again, with my own quote:" (Actually multiple quotes, with pages and times.- Ed)
    "Every single one of us, as far as I can tell, has agreed that we are to serve the Lord Jesus Christ. That we should be followers of Him, in our lives. or that we are to serve Him. But what JackRUS, FA, me, and some others are saying is that salvation and service are not the same thing. And we say this, because Scripture says it. Mike and John, inside the last two hours have said in short form, what I've taken much space to expand on. Jesus is, was, and always will be Lord." (March 14, 2006; 6:07 am; page 17, top post)

""Do you believe in serving the Lord or not?" The answer to you (sic) question is "Yes!" What does what I "believe " have to do with anything?, might be a more accurate response." (March 14, 2006; 6:01 AM, page 16)

"That is the Jesus I'm talking about; He is the one who saved me; He is the one to whom all authority is given; He is the one that I serve. "
    (March 14, 2006; 5:59 AM, page 16)

In so many words, (In fact, the first response to the OP of Bro. Reuben is mine.)
    " There is all the difference in the world in "coming TO Christ" by faith FOR the "'Absolutely Free!(c)'" gift of salvation or eternal life vis`-a-vis` "following AFTER Christ" in faith for service. ... Another way this misnomer is said is "You have to "make Jesus Lord!" Got news for you- it can't be done! God done beat you to the punch, by 2000 years. As one individual I once heard say, "The Bible doesn't talk like that! It NEVER says, 'Make Him Lord!'; It says, 'He IS!'"" (Feb. 27, 2006; 5:25 AM, page 1) Maybe sound like I accepted Him as Lord already, from the get-go?

I spoke elsewhere about differentiating salvation and service, as well, and gave a fairly detailed account of Jesus IS Lord, as well. Granted, these last two did not use the terms "serve the Lord", per se.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally posted by EdSutton:
    As to Dr. Moeller, the statement is even more outrageous, to the point of being unfathomable, and approaching unconscionable, for this individual is with us today. Dr. Carl Moeller is, in fact, the President and CEO of Open Doors USA, the American arm of Open Doors, International.

I suspect that the "Moeller" in question is not Carl Moeller but Albert Mohler, president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and outspoken Calvinist.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

This following quote including the quote of me, is in reference to Matt. 6:24, I believe.

" FTR, Actually, you have quoted this verse, not three times, but seven, by count,
    :rolleyes: assuming I did not miss any, and referenced it at least twice more. [/Q]

Actually I quoted it four times. That's really a measure of your refusal to discuss the scripture."

You are closer here correct, than I, I believe, as to count of cites, and I was mistaken. Although I offer that my exegesis of the verse in question is at least an attempt, poor though it may be, to discuss what this verse is actually teaching, in context. I apologize for an incorrect statement. I now assume that because I was tired when I counted, I actually counted two or three citings of Matt. 16:24 along with the four or five citings of Matt. 6:24 as the same verse, since I merely looked at the reference, and did not bother to read the verse. Hopefully, that does not happen to you.

Matt. 6:24:
    1.) March 2, 2006; 1:36 AM, page 6; verse quoted.
    2.) March 3, 2006; 2:37 AM, page 8; verse quoted, and you incidentally noted you were repeating the quote.
    3.) March 4, 2006; 10:39 PM, page 11; your quote of verse quoted.
    4.) March 5, 2006; 8:25 PM, page 11 ; verse quoted, and referenced.
    5.) March 12, 2006; 1:32 AM, page 15; verse referenced, then quoted.

Matt. 16:24 was also quoted, on March 8; 1:45 AM, 2:59 PM; March 9; 10:24 PM, so undoubtedly that is where I goofed up.

Language Cop (not to mention my wife) keeps telling me that I'm the one who needs to get more sleep, not him. However, I'm a bit hard-headed, I guess, and stay up too late, most nights reading and posting on the BB, as well as doing some other things, as well. He says if I were more alert, I would not make so many 'misteaks'. He may have a point, it appears. At least he seems to here, in this case. So once again, I apologize for a mis-statement.
    Well, stick a fork in me! I'm done. Supper awaits.
    With malice toward none, I remain
    In His grace,
    Ed

6. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

This is what you said. Maybe in all this discussion you're saying something about your own salvation? (No statement. Just a question as was yours.) By the way, I'd prefer that you not address me as something which sounds like a sexual perversion.

OK, eddie?

7. StraightAndNarrow

Touchy, touchy. I'm not claiming that the people I mentioned are wrong. I'm claiming that they hold to a different perspective than my own. That doesn't mean they're right. Or does it in your eyes? I could just as well as said that doesn't mean I'm right. The statement is the same. All I said is I disagree with them.

8. StraightAndNarrow

I agree. I, in fact, would add I don't think ANYONE deserves to be so charged! I have not 'had anyone' "charged with blasphemy" "for something (he or she) didn't say", or even did say. You may or may not well be a modern day Martin Luther or Michael Servitus. Regardless, I am neither a modern day Johann Eck nor John Calvin.
    I made the statement exactly as found above. I guess if one chooses to persist in using and identifying with what I described as "the straw man of "cheap grace".", and assumes that my indignation at the use of that term, as I have described, is tantamount to being "charged with blasphemy", that is a choice they make for themselves.

But I have not leveled the charge of blasphemy against anyone, even though I have been sorely tempted multiple times, I admit, and having nothing to do with this particular thread.

" 28 Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses. 29 How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has spurned the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him who said, "Vengeance is mine; I will repay." And again, "The Lord will judge his people." 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (ESV)
    " 31 Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come. " (ESV)

God, the Holy Spirit, is called the "Spirit of Grace" here in Heb. 10:29, and in Zech.12:9. I assume He is the one spoken of in both passages I cited. 'Sanctified' is in the passive voice, here, and aorist tense, here referring to a past point of time. These were already sanctified; it was a 'done deal'. And we have these admonitions. I take them seriously; i suggest others do as well.

That said, if one therefore chooses to consider this as a charge of blasphemy, which I have never made, don't blame me. Blame the one who is the author of Scripture, or blame another, whoever that may be.

(FTR, the ESV is not the version I normally use, but chose it here, for it will "copy and paste" faithfully, unlike some others, including my usual NKJV, or the KJV, among others, which will not allow the italicized words to 'italicize'.) [/QB][/QUOTE]

It's a long thread and I had forgotten I had used that term. But, by cheap grace I refer to those who believe that salvation is something to be taken lightly and who believe that "carnal christians" will slip in the back door of heaven or won't receive as many crowns. It does not infer that I minimize the sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ on the cross to provide salvation for everyone who only believes on Him and (to use His words) follows Him.

9. StraightAndNarrow

(FTR, the ESV is not the version I normally use, but chose it here, for it will "copy and paste" faithfully, unlike some others, including my usual NKJV, or the KJV, among others, which will not allow the italicized words to 'italicize'.)
    </font>[/QUOTE]It's a long thread and I had forgotten I had used that term. But, by cheap grace I refer to those who believe that salvation is something to be taken lightly and who believe that "carnal christians" will slip in the back door of heaven or won't receive as many crowns. It does not infer that I minimize the sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ on the cross to provide salvation for everyone who only believes on Him and (to use His words) follows Him.

On the other hand, when you say this:

That is about as close to being blasphemy, as one can come, IMO, and certainly falls under the condemnation of Hebrews 10:29-30 .

you might claim you're not charging me with blasphemy but you're wrong. In fact, I's say that comes as close to being a lie as anything I can think of. Now does it feel like I just called you a liar? Look at the parallelism between your statement and mine.

yaknowwhatimean Barn?

10. StraightAndNarrow

I think you'd be a little more effective if you use a little more logic and less sarcasm. Oh well, I suppose if you're groping for an answer it's always eay to resort to an ad hominem attack.

11. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

S&N,

What I didn't understand was that you objected to me answering what FG stood for, when you asked me that in a previous post. I guess this was just a misunderstanding. [​IMG]

I understand about the question regarding if salvation is by grace. FYI, I realize, and I'm sure the others do as well, that you believe that salvation is by grace. So I did not outright state that you believed that we are not saved by grace, and accuse you of not believing that, but I asked... well, here's what was posted:

Now that's pretty strong language. I responded:

then I asked:

I know, sounds like quibbeling, but I didn't say that you do not believe we are saved by grace - I was careful not to say that. I asked if you did believe that we are saved by grace, as a gift, or not. IOW, I was trying to make the point that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

You see, if someone feels that he must "make Christ Lord of his life IOT be saved," then he is essentially not relying in the grace of Christ to save him, but upon his own works - at leats t oa degree. Romans 11:5, 6 says...

IOW, even a little works and grace is no longer grace. You see, that is our contention - that if we must do more than simply believe in Jesus Christ to get saved, we believe that means salvation is no longer by grace in such a system.

I think what we would like to see is why that logic doesn't work. How can that be salvation not by grace?

We understand that you hjold strongly to salvation by grace, but our contention is that the other things you insist upon do not allow it to be so.

So then, I guess the question to ask is if you could clarify if...

Do you believe that we are saved by grace alone?

Do you believe that we are saved by faith alone?

I just want to understand your position clearly.

Thx,

FA

12. StraightAndNarrow

S&N,

What I didn't understand was that you objected to me answering what FG stood for, when you asked me that in a previous post. I guess this was just a misunderstanding. [​IMG]

I understand about the question regarding if salvation is by grace. FYI, I realize, and I'm sure the others do as well, that you believe that salvation is by grace. So I did not outright state that you believed that we are not saved by grace, and accuse you of not believing that, but I asked... well, here's what was posted:

Now that's pretty strong language. I responded:

then I asked:

I know, sounds like quibbeling, but I didn't say that you do not believe we are saved by grace - I was careful not to say that. I asked if you did believe that we are saved by grace, as a gift, or not. IOW, I was trying to make the point that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

You see, if someone feels that he must "make Christ Lord of his life IOT be saved," then he is essentially not relying in the grace of Christ to save him, but upon his own works - at leats t oa degree. Romans 11:5, 6 says...

IOW, even a little works and grace is no longer grace. You see, that is our contention - that if we must do more than simply believe in Jesus Christ to get saved, we believe that means salvation is no longer by grace in such a system.

I think what we would like to see is why that logic doesn't work. How can that be salvation not by grace?

We understand that you hjold strongly to salvation by grace, but our contention is that the other things you insist upon do not allow it to be so.

So then, I guess the question to ask is if you could clarify if...

Do you believe that we are saved by grace alone?

Do you believe that we are saved by faith alone?

I just want to understand your position clearly.

Thx,

FA
    </font>[/QUOTE]I really don't understand your concern. As I said before,

I really wasn't trying to be harsh. The point I was trying to make to Ed was that he was inconsistent in his reply that I had copied. I wasn't making a general statement at all. In other words, if someone said that "white is white" in a post and later claimed "white is black" that would be inconsistent. The inconsistency would be internal to the post and I would be pointing it out to the person who had written it. It wouldn't pertain to anyone else unless they made the same inconsistent statement. That's all.

My remard was directed to an inconsistency in Ed's post.

You ask me whether we are saved by grace alone and then you ask me whether we are saved by faith alone. Confusing question but I infer you are asking whether we are saved by grace through faith. Correct. Yes, I believe that but I believe that salvation requires an ongoing relationship with Christ. Jesus said come anf follow me. Do you think He meant follow me for the first step only? I believe salvation requires that we endure until the end.

Mat 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

I think it requires that we fight the good fight.

2Ti 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith:
    2Ti 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

How is your belief of "grace only" consistent with this scripture. Also with Christ's request to "Come and follow me" which He said about 20 times in the New Testament. He never used the word "grace" and expected that His followers be "born again" as He said to Nicodemus:

Jhn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Is born again the same as "grace only?"

13. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

S&N,

I'm just asking a couple of questions that were asked during the reformation...

Are we saved by grace alone?

Are we saved by faith alone?

Just curious where you stand there. Now I consider Joseph Arminius to be part of the reformation movement, though a bit later, so I'm not trying to focus on Calvinism by asking those questions, BTW, and I am not Reformed, strictly speaking.

Uh, no. Born again is regeneration.

CYL,

FA

14. StraightAndNarrow

CYL,

FA
    </font>[/QUOTE]So you're saying that being born again is not required for salvation? That contradicts Christ's statement to Nicodemus. Or are you saying that salvation is grace PLUS regeneration? That would put you in agreement with (Gulp) me.

15. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

CYL,

FA
    </font>[/QUOTE]So you're saying that being born again is not required for salvation? That contradicts Christ's statement to Nicodemus. Or are you saying that salvation is grace PLUS regeneration? That would put you in agreement with (Gulp) me.
    </font>[/QUOTE]No, that's not what I said. Gaining eternal life happens immediately upon our conversion. One who has placed his faith in Christ alone ---&gt; has become a child of God ----&gt; has gained eternal life as a promise.

Now if he relies only upon the work of Christ, that is, by definition, salvation by grace alone.

Now, I would really like to know where you stand on the following 2 questions - asked this twice now without a response:

Are we saved by grace alone?

Are we saved by faith alone?

I am not asking as a place to attack your position - I just want to know where you stand here. If I do not know where you stand, and then I say something, you might become offended because I have misunderstood what you believe. That's already happened once. This will help prevent that.

You can comment on other things if you like. But the ONE THING I'd like to know is the answer to those two questions.

Thx, and have a great weekend.

FA

16. StraightAndNarrow

I believe that we are initially save by God's grace through faith. But, I also believe that we must meet the requirement stated by Christ about 20 times in the New testament. Come and follow me. This is so obvious to me. If Jesus said it doesn't that make it a clear requirement?

Most people today would like to ignore Christ's command because it's more difficult than simply saying I have been saved by "Grace Alone." Christ also said:

Mat 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
    Mat 7:14 Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

This scripture makes me feel good that I am in the minority when I talk about the need for decipleship. The majority are headed for destruction.

To answer your question in a straight forward way, No, I do not believe that we are saved by grace alone.

17. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

S&N, I just took a look at your profile. If you really mean what you said in your last post, you should resign from your church. It might be liberal, but I can assure you that salvation by grace alone is one of the main keystones to Baptist beliefs and practice.

You speak more like a Campbellite than a Baptist. If you are truly convinced that works must be added to grace, you'll find a home with them. (Church of Christ)

You and they use a method of bible interpretation that leads you astray. You see the bible as an accumulative list of commands. You take all the verses you can find relating the word "saved" with anything else, and you make up your list. So then we are "saved" by: grace, faith, works, water, hope, etc. etc.

When you understand that one can not be saved by BOTH grace and water, you will find that by rightly dividing the word of truth that a single word such as "saved" can only be understood in a wider context. This is true in any literature. "Thou shalt not kill" does not mean you can't swat flies! You must STUDY to find context.

18. StraightAndNarrow

What does your study say about what Christ said about salvation?

Jesus Said Follow Me
    Mat 4:19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
    Mat 8:19 And a certain scribe came, and said unto him, Master, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.

Mat 8:22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.
    Mat 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any [man] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
    Mat 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go [and] sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come [and] follow me.
    Mar 2:14 And as he passed by, he saw Levi the [son] of Alphaeus sitting at the receipt of custom, and said unto him, Follow me. And he arose and followed him.
    Mar 8:34 And when he had called the people [unto him] with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
    Mar 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
    Luk 5:27 And after these things he went forth, and saw a publican, named Levi, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he said unto him, Follow me.
    Luk 9:23 And he said to [them] all, If any [man] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
    Luk 9:57 And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain [man] said unto him, Lord, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.
    Luk 9:59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
    Luk 18:22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.
    Jhn 1:43 The day following Jesus would go forth into Galilee, and findeth Philip, and saith unto him, Follow me.
    Jhn 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    Jhn 12:26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will [my] Father honour.
    Jhn 13:36 Simon Peter said unto him, Lord, whither goest thou? Jesus answered him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow me now; but thou shalt follow me afterwards.
    Jhn 21:19 This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me.
    Luk 9:61 And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.
    Jhn 21:22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what [is that] to thee? follow thou me.

Christ never said anything about grace. He commanded those who would be saved to "Follow Me." This involves an ongoing process and maintaining a close relationship with Him.

[ March 19, 2006, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: StraightAndNarrow ]

19. StraightAndNarrow

Why does Jesus' description of the judgement in MA 25 only say that we'll be judged by we've done for Him?
    *************************************************************************************************
    Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
    Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth [his] sheep from the goats:
    Mat 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
    Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
    Mat 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
    Mat 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
    Mat 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed [thee]? or thirsty, and gave [thee] drink?
    Mat 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took [thee] in? or naked, and clothed [thee]?
    Mat 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
    Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me.
    Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
    Mat 25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
    Mat 25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
    Mat 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
    Mat 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] not to one of the least of these, ye did [it] not to me.
    Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

The description of the judgement in Rev. 20 is consistent with this interpretation.

Rev 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
    Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
    Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
    Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You hit the nail on the head J. D. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.