1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is President Obama wrong when he says...

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 9, 2011.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even with Obama lipstick, a pig is still a pig.

The US is headed straight for national bankruptcy. We will never see another balanced budget.

AA+ is being generous.

2. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

OK, just looking this up, first, by "welfare"; it's not what we normally think of as "welfare, which would be the TANF or former AFDC program (which has actually shrunk to a quarter of what it was at the time of reform, though in the last couple of years, it has started to climb a bit, due to the economy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TANF).
    The number is for the entire Health & Human Services Department (which does include TANF and other things like that, but not Food Stamps, which is Agriculture, and actually very small on the graph!).

I find that that is not an official govt. site, but rather appears to be some independent conservative site.

I see that they did get that bar graph from these figures: http://www.fms.treas.gov/mts/mts0711.pdf

However, the HHC site itself: http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/fy2010_department_health/ lists only $78 billion budget, rather than the 700 to almost 900 we see in the outlay chart. It does mention "a reserve fund of $635 billion to help finance health reform", and I'm wondering if that might be much of the difference.

So is this saying that health care reform is where most of that money is going?
    I looked to see if I could find a breakdown of which programs HHC's money is divided into, but that last link was the best I could find so far.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does your "welfare" amount include the welfare program run through the IRS.

It's $50 billion a year. But I see it nowhere on the chart.

Eric's figure of $78 billion obviously doesn't include it.

Where is it hidden in the budget or list of expenditures?

#23 carpro, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2011
  4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

If Ronald Reagan said it, I would take it as a euphemism for America's greatness. Coming from Obama it sounds like a dictatorial warning to S&P and to creditors.